PSO2 New Genesis´s gameplay feels like a hodgepodge of EP6 Scion Class mechanics.

It feels like Phantom and Etoile were basically testing grounds for new mechanics to be added for New Genesis, because a lot of the action, animations and gameplay that we have seen during the New Genesis trailer can be traced to those classes.

For instance, the new "Photon Glide" movement mechanic heavily featured during the trailers to soar and cross large areas in new genesis is basically Etoile´s double-saber movement skill.

The beam that we see the Force cast while holding a wand is basically a prettier version of Etoile´s wand PA "Luminous Flare"

Likewise, the Rifle PA´s that we can see the character use is very reminiscent of some of the Phantom´s rifle PA´s and several of the melee movement attacks were reminiscent of some of the phantom´s own Katana shenanigans.

If you play PSO2-JP you probably noticed this yourself since it´s pretty much evident.

P.S: Note that i am not claiming that they are frame-by-frame identical, but they are clearly more polished and refined versions of these mechanics recently introduced to PSO2JP.

I have to agree, I've had a theory since the announcement dropped that Successor/Scion classes were going to be what the NGS's classes would be based on (mostly based on their name, honestly). I wouldn't even be surprised if PSO2's Scion classes didn't transfer over to NGS because all the weapons would already behave as they do when used by those casses.

Another theory I've had is that we'll be leveling weapons rather than classes, but I don't exactly have a basis for that.

Not surprised. Those classes are super fun to play after all. But speaking of classes, what classes are there in NG?

@Zarozian said in PSO2 New Genesis´s gameplay feels like a hodgepodge of EP6 Scion Class mechanics.:

Not surprised. Those classes are super fun to play after all. But speaking of classes, what classes are there in NG?

No one is sure yet but its been implied by the announcement that not all classes will make it into NGS (At least for the start) considering the supposed lvl cap for NGS is 20 your looking at probably the very basic classes (Hunter, Force, Gunner) maybe Braver and Summoner.

Again NGS is not an expansion to pso2 it is its own unique game so it has to start from the ground up.

@Zarozian In the trailers, other than sword, rifle and rod, there's very small glimpses of players using knuckles, twin machineguns and wand. alt text

Other than that and the CG part of the trailer showing Ash switching from sword to rifle, we really don't know anything about the NGS classes, it's possible that they could be completely different from the PSO2 classes.

@Ezodagrom said in PSO2 New Genesis´s gameplay feels like a hodgepodge of EP6 Scion Class mechanics.:

@Zarozian In the trailers, other than sword, rifle and rod, there's very small glimpses of players using knuckles, twin machineguns and wand. alt text

Other than that and the CG part of the trailer showing Ash switching from sword to rifle, we really don't know anything about the NGS classes, it's possible that they could be completely different from the PSO2 classes.

What if there aren't any classes and people can just use whatever weapons they want?

@Zarozian Nah, the article with NGS info mentions classes existing on NGS:

For weapons pertaining to classes that have not yet been added to PSO2: NGS, they will be unusable until the relevant class has been released.

Now how those classes will work and how different they'll be from the current PSO2 remains to be seen.

@Zarozian That's actually my guess. In Final Fantasy 14 you switch job classes just by equipping the weapon type for that class. So imagine that you have a Riffle and a Sword in your weapons pallet and with the flick of the scroll wheel, you're a different class.

@Zizel said in PSO2 New Genesis´s gameplay feels like a hodgepodge of EP6 Scion Class mechanics.:

Again NGS is not an expansion to pso2 it is its own unique game so it has to start from the ground up.

Wrong. NGS IS an expansion. Everything it does is like other mmorpg expansions. Leveling up in 1-20 in NGS is no different than leveling up 100-110 in another mmorpg's expansion. They've already said your character transfers over and can be used in both. They've also said your weapons and mags will transfer over but function differently. This is no different than how other mmo expansions do it. New xpac mechanics means you level up and gear up to acess them.

If NGS was it's own unique game then nothing would transfer over and the battle system would be compeletly different.

@SonicTMP Except progression is entirely separate in both games and NGS won't even launch with all existing PSO2 classes either. It's a new game as well as a reboot that we will just happen to be able to share things from the existing game with. It's more like the Mass Effect series at best where you can think of it as a partial save import.

@TsundereMuse said in PSO2 New Genesis´s gameplay feels like a hodgepodge of EP6 Scion Class mechanics.:

@SonicTMP Except progression is entirely separate in both games and NGS won't even launch with all existing PSO2 classes either. It's a new game as well as a reboot that we will just happen to be able to share things from the existing game with. It's more like the Mass Effect series at best where you can think of it as a partial save import.

Seeing as they've said all your weapons will transfer over but won't be usable until you level up means that most if not all the classes will be in the expansion. Maybe the scion classes won't be as they are just hybrids but the main 9 will all come over. Everything shown so far functions exactlly like any other mmorpg expansion does. New xpac levels, new xpac mechaincs, new xpac currency, new xpac items weapons and gear while still letting you use the old stuff even if it works slightly differently. And you can go back to do the old content whever you want with your same character. That's how an xpac works.

@SonicTMP

Annotation 2020-07-24 232817.jpg

That states clearly that some weapons/classes will not be available at launch. The trailer only shows weapons from the original 6 classes in use as well. Also no expansion I've ever seen prohibits the use of the basic currency from the previous content (meseta). There's also the fact that while you can play with the same character, it's still entirely different progressions for said character between the games and will likely require launching different clients as well.

@SonicTMP Episodes 4, 5 and 6 are expansions. NGS is more than that, it's a new title that allows to import some stuff from the original game.

Going back to do old content isn't possible on NGS itself, pretty much have to go back to the previous game, to the old systems.

There are sequels to other games that get less changes than what NGS is getting.

@SonicTMP said in PSO2 New Genesis´s gameplay feels like a hodgepodge of EP6 Scion Class mechanics.:

@Zizel said in PSO2 New Genesis´s gameplay feels like a hodgepodge of EP6 Scion Class mechanics.:

Wrong. NGS IS an expansion. Everything it does is like other mmorpg expansions. Leveling up in 1-20 in NGS is no different than leveling up 100-110 in another mmorpg's expansion. They've already said your character transfers over and can be used in both. They've also said your weapons and mags will transfer over but function differently. This is no different than how other mmo expansions do it. New xpac mechanics means you level up and gear up to acess them.

If NGS was it's own unique game then nothing would transfer over and the battle system would be compeletly different.

Fake news my dude.

Its actually not normal for Expansions to force you to start over every time they come out. Expansions are supposed to be an add on to current progression and making people start over entirely would not only nullify the purpose of an add-on but would make a lot of people mad. Could you imagine if Final Fantasy XIV wiped all your job progressions over and over with each new expansion? As well as emptied your currency? And then removed several of those classes you already played with plans to re-add them back in at a later date?

No that is definitely not normal for an expansion and if expansions actually acted like that I dont think people would play MMO's as they do now because it would make playing them in the first place meaningless.

So why does NGS allow some things to be transferred? Why does it share the PSO2 name? I hear you begin typing. Good questions, and though I cant answer on behalf of SEGA I can speculate based on a few things.

• Transferring weapons, armor, mags is a means to entice veterans to try NGS.

There are people who have dedicated 8 years of their lives to PSO2 and that's a commitment some players are not so easily going to give up. Though NGS is sure to bring in some new players I believe SEGA is riding a lot of the success of NGS on the hopes the veteran players will move to it. After all, these players are the people who have been the success to PSO2, who have stuck with the game and supported it for many years. To simply take away all that progress would not only damage that successful bond they have with the game but might actually drive them away. Being able to transfer the very bare minimum will give those players some sense of keeping their accomplishments safe, while at the same time allowing newer players to play on equal terms with them.

• But it has PSO2 in the title. It must mean its in expansion!

It does not mean that as all. There could be several reasons for calling it Phanatsy Star Online 2: New Genesis in stead of Phantasy Star New Genesis. The most common reason one would think of is they want the game to piggyback off the success of PSO2 and there is no better way to do that then to have it share the title with the massive success of the game has in JP. However, another reason could be to quell fears of Service Closure. I believe if the game didn't have PSO2 in the title the player base would begin to worry that the service for the PSO2 servers would be closing down soon in order for the SEGA team to focus their efforts on NGS. One could argue this was never the case because:

• Sega is giving PSO2 a graphics overhaul as well.
  • There are still events planned for PSO2.

And these are good points, it shows that SEGA still sees value in the original PSO2 and that's great. But at some point the grim reality is going to kick in that SEGA will eventually have to pull their efforts away from PSO2 in order to focus on and make NGS grow. I do believe that as long as PSO2 is still of value they will continue to work on it hence the graphics upgrades and events, but with NGS it might not be so crazy to assume the ultimate goal is to pull players away from PSO2 and get them into NGS, and what better way to do that then with a transfer system and a title share of the game they have been playing for so long? The two games will continue to co-exists side by side for some time I strongly believe, but eventually I feel like content updates will slow and eventually stop for PSO2 and become primarily focused on NGS, which, again, the purpose would to entice players into migrating to NGS.

Again its in the end just speculation. But people are free to make of it what they want.

I personally think that PSO2 New Genesis is a new type of game advancement in the MMOverse.

We could call it an evolution. /insertdigivicesounds

Now, it is undeniable, as Zizel very well put, that PSO2 New Genesis is a new game, and this is based on the fact that if we were to take away the connection to pso2 and data transfer, it would still stand on it´s own merits as an amazing game and be called PSO-3 validly.

However, and i think this is very important.

It is just as true that the connection exists, that the plot follows EP6/PSO-2´s ending, and that all the connections, data transfers and character sharing exists, and that upon fulfilling some conditions, our weapons, units and mags will be waiting for us.

Not only that, but they have just revealed the game, for all we know, there will be even more connections to be revealed later as i very well doubt that they already placed all their cards on the table, and there will be more to hype to in future trailers, as the game looms nearer.

Furthermore, and as i have explained in the original post, there are a lot of animations, gameplay mechanics and overall action that seems to have been taken from EP5 and more commonly EP6.

And furthermore, they have already stated that the engines and improvements used for PSO2NG will also affect PSO2 to an extent and the game will be improved because of it, to bring them closer and make them more compatible.

Thus, why i prefer to call it an evolution and not an expansion or it´s own game.

And yes, it is quite obvious that the only reason why they did not just decide to make Phantasy Star Online 3 is because PSO2 has been SEGA´s salvation and it´s golden egg Goose, and they would never dare to upset the community and risk lost profits.

PSO2 is way too popular and works way too well to risk sinking their own franchise like the original FF14 1.0 did in case the game is not as successful or the new open world and gameplay proves not to be as popular for some reason.

With the current model, if for some reason PSO2 NG were to tank, they could just as quickly focus on PSO2 more and leave PSO2NG as little more than a side-game or allow the fans to stay invested while they fix NG.

But ultimately the reason does not matter, because it still offers and allows what it does, so you cannot simplify and ignore the expansion-like features, because ultimately they are there too, just as much as it´s own merits as a game.