PSO2 NGS Insight

I'm not surprised that people are assuming all cosmetics from PSO2 will be available from the get-go.

~ To be honest I think that could be a very bad picture for the game's economy if they do it so soon. Everyone should be out there helping to balance the market before they start running into that issue. (At least make it untradeable)

I think this is the best compromise to keep the game alive. You make a good point that costumes are not on the non-transferable list. I also do agree that PSO2 will get other platforms.

i0qcxf0v49d51.png Why ... Update ... The ... Graphics ... of ... a ... dead ... game? It financially makes no sense. Unless, unless, hear me out ... UNLESS they are making enough of a profit to continue to support the game. Remember PSO2 is getting a graphics overhaul to "match" PSO2: NG ... IF you are dumping the game, whey bother?! Why not call the new game PSO3 instead of PSO2 New Genesis? Unless .. unless ... and hear me out ... UNLESS you have a plan to support both games .. Why are people trying to end everything? Why is everything gloom and doom? Really?!

@Seedeus I'd be skeptical of that graphics update until we actually see something of it. I'm not saying doubt they are going to do it but NGS will not have most classes in it at launch so if they were updating the graphics they would need to have all the models for those classes gear done. Also I don't remember if it was mentioned on the JP page only that the NGS models can be in the Classic mode

@MoonRunestar said in PSO2 NGS Insight:

@Thirstday said in PSO2 NGS Insight:

Honestly made a thread about the cosmetics/accessories not transferring over.

I do believe they have a plan for that as to create low res expedited version over time but EVERYTHING will not be available at launch. Gacha items may also become available when those Gacha's come back around for NGS you will just have Classic version which is the low res new engine graphics and NGS Versions which may look entirely different or be high fidelity high res models.

So in short accessories and cosmetics will be added with time, but not all at launch. Is my theory thus why they purposefully left it vague as they themselves are unsure what they'll have ready

If SEGA has had hindsight with this, they would have original quality assets for costumes and accessories on their end that they downgrade when adding them to PSO2.

PSO2_Behindthescenes.jpg Rare Behind the Scene screenshot shared by SEGA during Episode 4's development (which itself carried a graphic update too) showing the amount of detail costumes have originallly. In that same interview, having the original textures around let them create Tier 6 version for Episode 4.

In addition, since this was most likely in development around the release of Episode 6 (job listings for a new PS game went up in 2018), they've definitely had time to 'future proof' some of the older content as well as design content from here onwards with New Genesis in mind.

@Rhysticalz said in PSO2 NGS Insight:

@Leonkh99

This was a long not well thought out post. Thanks for being the best whitest knight you can possibly be, and failing to regonize that Sega should have released this info prior to NA release so players could make an informed decision on money being spent.

Especially during a pandemic money is tight for many.

Looking at the facts for what they are is not being a 'white knight'. As I already stated, original PSO2 isn't going anywhere and is planned to be supported for a long while... cause why the hell would they do a major graphic update and announce additional content in Japan releasing AFTER they made this announcement? This is not the same as buying things for a dead game...

All your progress stays on PSO2, things you spent money on very likely to transfer over. In addition, there most likely was nothing to announce to show or even confirm... even now, they said that more details would be revealed as development happens.

@Seedeus I'd be skeptical of that graphics update until we actually see something of it. I'm not saying doubt they are going to do it but NGS will not have most classes in it at launch so if they were updating the graphics they would need to have all the models for those classes gear done. Also I don't remember if it was mentioned on the JP page only that the NGS models can be in the Classic mode

NGS is more than a game with new graphics, animations are being completely redone for NGS (as seen in the trailers), and classes will have new or different mechanics. So, it's not the equipment models that are holding back the NGS classes, it's everything else (animations, mechanics, ensuring that the classes are balanced enough).

In regards to people not reading between the lines on cosmetics, and that want a definable answer to their question. It's simple, they don't want to use critical thinking and deductive reasoning skills, and want a large corporation to hand hold them through the process. You already got your answer, cosmetics are SEGA's bread and butter, in regards to income for the game, so of course they will carry over. It would be financial suicide to do otherwise. The core PSO2 is getting a graphics overhaul to bring it into line with Genesis, its not rocket science, that by extension, cosmetics are included in that overhaul. They have been working on this since 2018, thus why there is no new episode.

The rest of the original post is pretty on point, so those calling it a white knight thing, are just as bad as virtue signaling nut cases, that like to ignore proven facts, I.E. the company has been working on this for several years in secret. Oh, that's right, it's impossible for any company to learn from past mistakes. So SEGA will just keep making the same ones. And by extension, nobody on these forums can better themselves as individuals, got it. (Clear sarcasm)

@Leonkh99

This was a long not well thought out post. Thanks for being the best whitest knight you can possibly be, and failing to regonize that Sega should have released this info prior to NA release so players could make an informed decision on money being spent.

I think any post that has to result to insults instantly loses the argument (like this one). All that matters here is the facts. If you think it is not thought out well, break down why you feel he is wrong instead, and help others understand, rather than attacking Leon for making an analysis.

@Ranmaru said in PSO2 NGS Insight:

@Leonkh99

I think any post that has to result to insults instantly loses the argument (like this one). All that matters here is the facts. If you think it is not thought out well, break down why you feel he is wrong instead, and help others understand, rather than attacking Leon for making an analysis.

Maybe he thinks this is PSO3?

............wait a minute.....

lulz

@Seedeus said in PSO2 NGS Insight:

Why ... Update ... The ... Graphics ... of ... a ... dead ... game? It financially makes no sense. Unless, unless, hear me out ... UNLESS they are making enough of a profit to continue to support the game. Remember PSO2 is getting a graphics overhaul to "match" PSO2: NG ... IF you are dumping the game, whey bother?! Why not call the new game PSO3 instead of PSO2 New Genesis? Unless .. unless ... and hear me out ... UNLESS you have a plan to support both games .. Why are people trying to end everything? Why is everything gloom and doom? Really?!

IMO they updated the graphics to give the impression that they're all in on PSO2 and that it will exist after NG releases so ppl dont worry about PSO2 being killed off instantly and continue to spend that scratch $$$.

Fashion is the only thing making NG not be PSO3. (No one cares about the other stuff xferring) If they didnt care about most likely losing tons of players and carried over nothing, theres nothing keeping it from being PSO3.

What I'm not thrilled about is now instead of NG getting a running start right out of the gates it will be continually gimped as their resources are going to be split between 2 games as I doubt they're doubling their workforce. With any luck PSO2 is fazed out quick and we can really see NG shine.

IMO it's personally smart to not make PSO3. Why start all over with a game that people will just complain about lack of content when you can makeover PSO2 and add new mechanics to a whole new area that is connected. Going forward they can add NG content and still add more PSO2 original game content. As for the cosmetics things I wouldn't worry til around end of the year if we don't hear solid info about cosmetics. Me personally I'm still gonna get cosmetics and save them up because I have faith it will transfer over.

Couple of nitpicks here

@Leonkh99 said in PSO2 NGS Insight:

Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst and Universe co-existed for some time

In Japan yes but from what I hear that was only for Japan.

Final Fantasy XI continues to co-exist with Final Fantasy XIV

Though they did drop console support for XI. I'd also like to point out that these examples are of subscription-based games so I can sort of understand why some people might have some doubt here. I think a better comparison would be the South Korean and Chinese releases of Maplestory 2, which no one would even consider, especially after the NA release died so quickly. It's seriously interesting to me how I'm once again bringing up Maplestory in comparison to PSO2... There was also Digimon RPG/Digimon Battle Online and Digimon Masters co-existing for. The NA releases for those came out around the same time but in South Korea Digimon Masters came far later. In this case though, it was DBO that died in North America, though it's South Korean counterpart, Digimon RPG, like Maplestory 2 is apparently still around. Not sure about the Chinese versions of Digimon RPG and Digimon Masters though.

Cosmetics Won't Transfer

Currently outfits aren't in the list of items that aren't transferable... but indeed people have been picking apart the fact that its not specifically mentioned in the list of things that do transfer over (never mind the fact that the list skims over a bunch of things). While the latter does bring up a good point, I do believe the mere fact that its not outright mentioned at all on the 'not transferable' list either should make it clear what the intentions could be... plus as the fine print reads, the list could end up getting bigger. Regardless... I see people already making their decision and judgement of NGS and PSO2 NA's costumes over this 'unconfirmed' fact.

You forgot to mention that in the second trailer when they're talking about being able to bring stuff over, we see Ash in NGS with his old outfit in spite of having a new one in both trailers. Not only does this imply Ash brought over his old outfit from PSO2 classic but Ash having a new outfit after all this time also implies that the old default outfits will not be the default outfits in NGS and both of these things together implies that they won't even be obtainable in NGS.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in PSO2 NGS Insight:

If August brings PSO2NA to new pc platforms, do they have to wait to play PSO2NG on that platform until later after it's launch?

The only reason they didn't mention them is because they're not ready to announce them.

Of course the Microsoft store installation issues should not be an issue with a new game built specifically for it

Unless they learned nothing and it uses an out-of-app launcher... Honestly considering the game has a PS4 release which does not use a launcher, you'd think they'd be able to not only prevent that issue but quickly fix it by modifying the app in a similar manner to the PS4 release... This tells me they don't even know that the launcher not playing nice with the UWP and/or Windows Store framework is the problem. @GM-Deynger Please inform the devs.

NGS is likely not going to have scion classes considering that they seem to have been merged into the normal classes (several PAs have also been merged it seems and Satellite Aim seems to have been turned into a more impressive looking Complex PA/Class Burst).

@Z0DIAK-BRAVE said in PSO2 NGS Insight:

Fashion is the only thing making NG not be PSO3.

You mean aside from concrete continuity and not just little nods to past games that have no real connection to the current one that make people scramble to try to piece everything together only to find connections that don't even really exist? (like that one ship in the ending of one of the classic games landing on a planet that looks nothing like Ragol or Coral but these people say it landed on one of those planets and PrinceBrightstar's attempts at trying to connect PSO2 to PSClassic when there's simply not enough solid evidence. (At least not yet anyway, NGS could be what winds up tying it together but I have plenty of reason to doubt that)

Portable 2 aside (Portable 2 was more of a spinoff, like how Portable was a sidequel and Infinity was a definitive edition like Blue Burst), Phantasy Star hasn't had a direct sequel (let alone a main series direct sequel) since Phantasy Star IV.

This is a direct sequel. It's the first proper direct sequel Phantasy Star has had in a long time and calling it PSO3 when PSO2 has no clear connections to PSO would imply a lack of continuity (and even if it did have connections to PSO, all the signs are pointing to it taking place before PSClassic and PSClassic taking place before PSO which would make PSO a once removed prequel).

For those you still can't or don't want to believe it or use it as an argument "on why pso2 is bad and makes no sense to be played". PSO2 graphics engine will also be overhauled to match with PSO2 NG - that said it is all said and done for them there is no ifs and buts - cosmetics will "carry over". We can freely hop between the 2 games - style our character in PSO2 and use said character in NG - outfits in inventory will carry over same as weapons and all stuff that does carry over in your inventory. If the storage is being shared - no clue but it would make sense if it does. But items that are on your character will carry over 100% that already got explained same as things that will NOT carry over got explained already. You can even use characters from NG in PSO2 they pointed that one out already.

As for pets for summoner they are NOT being carried over as they count as techs/pas wich already got pointed out into the stuff thats not being carried over.

I'm worried that since we're missing 2 seconds of footage, that we might not get the new gloss features.

Not a big deal, but considering how much was chopped off Global already, I can't help but wonder how far the censorship will go.

Hopefully Nintendo will allow everything to be released on the Switch version, considering Microsoft could cut off more features with NGS being in unknown territory.

@Leonkh99

I'm a bit confused by your statement here, are you referring to the 2 seconds showcasing the game's Inner/Basewear?

Also don't see how Nintendo would have a thing to do with this given that the game's only releasing on Switch in Japan as a Cloud version.