Save all your SG for PSO2: New Genesis until they confirm if/which costumes&Layered transfer.

@Mother-Vain Except not only the graphics engine for the legacy PSO2 is gonna be updated, they've also shown a legacy PSO2 outfit in action on NGS in a section of the trailer that is about importing legacy characters.

I'll keep doing what I've been doing. Tinfoil hats have never been my preferred fashion. XD

@Ezodagrom said in Save all your SG for PSO2: New Genesis until they confirm if/which costumes&Layered transfer.:

@Mother-Vain Except not only the legacy PSO2 is gonna be updated to the new graphics engine, they've also shown a legacy PSO2 outfit in action on NGS in a section of the trailer that is about importing legacy characters.

This is true, but they have confirmed that the entire graphics engine won't be implemented. If such was the case, New Genesis would be just another episode.

Also, the PSO2 legacy outfit was remodeled, but the outfit that the ARKS op in that video wasn't, nor did the color even match in their side-by-side, so perhaps they're just remodeling the defaults?

They're starting brand new and that intrigues me. No developer has ever abandoned their existing leveling system, stats, items, and boosters to completely to start on what is, essentially, a brand new game. It's basically Final Fantasy X-2, if you think about it.

@Lorient said in Save all your SG for PSO2: New Genesis until they confirm if/which costumes&Layered transfer.:

I'll keep doing what I've been doing. Tinfoil hats have never been my preferred fashion. XD

It's called fashion, Brenda. 😄

@Mother-Vain I believe that NGS not being an expansion is mainly because of the different game design/systems, it's not only a new graphics engine for NGS, it's also overhauled gameplay and new types of locations (open areas).

The new gameplay systems, the improved mobility, would likely not work well at all on the legacy PSO2.

Though they do say that the only the core graphics engine will be updated on legacy PSO2, so I'm sure that legacy PSO2 won't look as good as NGS. Though, they do say that characters created on the new NGS character creator will also be usable on the legacy PSO2 thanks to the overhauled graphics engine.

About the colors not matching in the side by side comparison, footage from the legacy PSO2 in the trailer is not using the updated graphics engine. For example, the improved lighting on NGS can make a huge difference.

@Ezodagrom said in Save all your SG for PSO2: New Genesis until they confirm if/which costumes&Layered transfer.:

@Mother-Vain I believe that NGS not being an expansion is mainly because of the different game design/systems, it's not only a new graphics engine for NGS, it's also overhauled gameplay and new types of locations (open areas).

About the colors not matching in the side by side comparison, footage from the legacy PSO2 in the trailer is not using the updated graphics engine. For example, the improved lighting on NGS can make a huge difference.

It's funny you mention lighting, because I had asked my brother about that, and he said the bump maps and shadow effects, and he said "oh yeah they're using (RTX) Ray Tracing"

Though he thinks they're limiting how much RTX is going to be in it to avoid system crashes, as they amount all of us fans want to believe, it'd crash the system. If such in the case, we could possibly see the option for Ray Tracing in both games, and the lighting could become new in both.

@Mother-Vain I really doubt it'll support RTX, but who knows. ^^;

them: "save all of your SG for NG"

me:

b0eeb7e2-72e2-4e74-b935-0a21e04ce0de-image.png

What happens if it turns out AC/SG outfits are not sellable in NG? That they become account bound and you're unable to sell them in NG, but still can in PSO2? I have a sneaking suspicion they may do something like this to keep the market 100% under control.

@DarkRPGMaster said in Save all your SG for PSO2: New Genesis until they confirm if/which costumes&Layered transfer.:

What happens if it turns out AC/SG outfits are not sellable in NG? That they become account bound and you're unable to sell them in NG, but still can in PSO2? I have a sneaking suspicion they may do something like this to keep the market 100% under control.

If they dont then the market is again doomed to repeat history. I doubt they want to give the whales opportunity to profit in a new world. The market is what makes me NOT want to log in more than just for dailies and such. The market is pathetic at this point of time.

@Mother-Vain said in Save all your SG for PSO2: New Genesis until they confirm if/which costumes&Layered transfer.:

@IfrianMMO said in Save all your SG for PSO2: New Genesis until they confirm if/which costumes&Layered transfer.:

Has it occurred to you guys that there must be a reason why they did not directly announce that costumes carry over, unlike everything else that they have already confirmed to transfer, such as registered accessories?

^ This.

Look, folks, I find no joy in saying this, but it's a NEW GRAPHICS ENGINE, in basically a BRAND NEW GAME, and a lot is not carrying over. Rebuilding an entire character with more polygons and entirely different graphical engine means the method by which the character moves, costumes are affixed, and the designs are implemented are different, which means that every costume has to be rebuilt from the ground up. In other words, every costume remade from scratch.

To understand this better, you need a firm understanding of character framework. In many old systems, the actual structure of the body was replaced with the costume, because it would've been way too many polygons and data to place actual armor on top of the character. Instead, your chest is replaced, the tone is matched on a Chroma wheel, and your actual chest is missing. The actual skeleton is swapped. Graphics engines do a lot to cheat in order to run on old computers and make it run faster.

There's absolutely a reason why they didn't say "all costumes and accessories will carry over".

My brother is a video game graphics designer with a lot of experience in the systems they used, as well as a PSO2NA player. When asked if the costumes will carry over, he laughed and said, "no, no absolutely not, otherwise it'd be another episode, it's inhumane to think they'd have to do all that work all over again."

I love my costume, but if it means the devs focus on the content, I'm willing to start with a new costume. Besides, how many hundreds of years in the future will this be? We can't even go 10 years without identifying a difference in fashion. 60s fashion versus 70s fashion versus 80s fashion versus 90s fashion.

It's okay for us to just be okay that they're starting new. I love this game and I am not bothered by this.

They did say:

Naturally, ALL character creation info from PSO2 (including items linked to emotes and other previously registered data) will be compatible with PSO2: NGS!

Registered data does include accessories and they emphasized the ALL. So all accessories, basewear, innerwear, basically everything except outerwear and outfits are heavily implied to carry over. If basewear and innerwear are being carried over, then it would not make sense to exclude the outfits they form a set with.

Also, I think the reasoning for not making it another episode is for the new systems and gameplay changes. Like an open world like this is very different from what PSO2 has released so far and they may want to move away from the whole hub world thing. Alternatively, they may want to really change up the narrative, take us away from the ARKS ships. There can be plenty of reasons why they are doing it like this instead of another episode.

Also, would they really need to remake every costume from scratch? Like they can at least reuse the models. They may have to re-rig it, but the models can probably be reused. I feel like by their vagueness, they are at least trying to have as much transfer over as they can, outfits included. If outfits don't transfer over, they do not want to confirm it right now.

@Archetype-Luna said in Save all your SG for PSO2: New Genesis until they confirm if/which costumes&Layered transfer.:

Also, I think the reasoning for not making it another episode is for the new systems and gameplay changes. Like an open world like this is very different from what PSO2 has released so far and they may want to move away from the whole hub world thing. Alternatively, they may want to really change up the narrative, take us away from the ARKS ships. There can be plenty of reasons why they are doing it like this instead of another episode.

It's also a fresh start for the dev team. Alot of parts of the current PSO2 are very bloated, between failed experimental quests that didn't work out well, power creep that got out of hand, and so on. It's a chance to start fresh without needing to fix the bad parts of the legacy PSO2.

@Ezodagrom Yeah, looking at the numbers for some things does feel like things got a bit out of hand with the power creep. The bloat is very real and the menu navigation is really annoying. The game definitely shows its age a times.

@Macmaxi said in Save all your SG for PSO2: New Genesis until they confirm if/which costumes&Layered transfer.:

good thing that 99% of the conversation about NG across all boards are just about cosmetics, sadly i believe this means they will never have the incentive to try and make something great out of the combat, because simply nobody cares.

I'd like the game the same amount if there was zero customization the default stuff looks good enough, but unfortunately all the development time will be spend on trying to port over all 5 million accessories and outfits and every boss is gonna be a rockbear with a different model again.

I find this response to be overly callous and negative for no real reason. They straight up laid out that combat isn't likely going to be what it is now what with how much will change with gear and classes. It's highly unlikely that even half of the classes will be available at NGS launch. And i'd imagine the same rings true for fashion. NGS combat wise is basically a soft boot for players and the game itself. Assuming that it's going to be the same stuff we have now with just a face lift because they want to respect players investment into the game is just being a negative nelly.

Bizarre theory incoming, don't take it as true. Just wondering if it may be an option they take:

When you load your character into PSO2:NG, instead of having things that aren't usable taking up your inventory space, they may not show up in the game at all (could be possible by having a new storage slot that separates loadable versus non-loadable assets). As part of that, instead of PSO2 outfits being in your inventory, they could potentially just show up in the salon are character creation.

Or it could be that you have the use Look Registration to import things into the new game. When you save a Look in the salon, it is all considered "registered character data" to include the equipped outfits and outerwear. This option might make it to where you can't change outfits on the fly, but it would be better than dropping them all together potentially?

Of course, like I said, just theories I am tossing around. I just like theorizing and am not trying to play psychic.

e4b0eafb-a2e0-4a35-9b1d-644d1907ac94-image.png