Will Sega stop making content for PSO2 when NG comes out?

@Ryoga I didn't explain myself well enough, I wanted to say that they focused too much on new end game content, and the previous content being abandoned (not receinving tweaks) resulted in that previous content being mostly useless even for new players that haven't reached the end game.

Hopefully NGS handles its overall progression better than the mess that is the PSO2 progression...

"Will Sega stop making content for PSO2 when NG comes out?"

Yes

@LordCloudStrife Yeah, we're already seeing signs of that in the JP version, no valentine urgent quest this year, they're not even repeating the one from last year, just none at all, only the lobby.

Can we assume or speculate that PS02NGS will have Episode aswell? in the future I mean. They did said PS02 ended with Episode 6 but not the PS02 NGS right? Since our character in NGS is not the same as PS02 original, this might be a new story o.o

@Kuchiki-Rukia NGS is definitely a new story, it takes place 1000 years after PSO2 after all.

Anything else we don't know, but expect it to be getting content for years to come.

Nothing official has been stated. But everyone is assuming no new content will come after NGS release. Personally I think that would be a waste as NGS isn't likely to launch with much content. Since end game PSO2 doesn't have much purpose for those who don't care to min max or be competitive with time attacks/scoring I think it would lead to a content drout that would upset many players.

Then again, PSO2 JP had plenty of that to deal with when they were originally getting new content. So maybe it's not an active concern for the development team.

@Knight-Raime JP PSO2 is already going through a content drought, content has been sparse since October, there's no seasonal valentine urgent quest this year (not even repeating the one from last year), and the only incoming content until the end of March is a new limited event quest and an event urgent quest.

It was also mentioned that the next livestream about PSO2 content updates (PSO2 Station+) will be the last one.

@Ezodagrom Eh, I wouldn't say a content drought, at least since December, there been level cap 100, SAO collab, new challenge quest (I haven't done it), space magatsu re-run, and Xmas on ice only ended January 27 (common for JP events to last way past the actual holiday, I remember Easter event often starts AFTER Easter).

Mid Feb is the graphic update, I think it's pretty safe to assume the 17th since maint on the 10th is cancelled. They have the PSO 20th anniversary web-link event https://pso2.jp/players/event/pso20th_anniversary/?bg=s_27353 lined up probably with the new limited quest (夢幻のごとく/Like a Fantasy) they showed on PSO station and later the re-run of the ARKS Ship Fire Swirl limited quest early March

Kind of normal on JP, not rushed like Global

@HarmlessSyan The content updates since October haven't added anything truly new, they've all pretty much re-used existing content (that is, re-using existing enemies and areas).

Until December it wasn't too bad, there were a few signs of updates slowing down, but there were still somewhat regular content updates. Between the month of January and what was shown in the newest PSO2 Station, I think it's pretty clear that PSO2 is transitioning into a maintenance/end of life state, it'll be kept alive but won't be getting content.

• In January there was only the space Magatsu rerun, this is not normal for JP.
  • While a few are new, most scratches lately have been revivals.
  • Yesterday the valentine lobby was added but no urgent quest or NPCs with client orders, and the trailers for white day and easter also only showed the lobbies, nothing else, which implies that seasonal events won't be having any playable content on the JP version of PSO2 this year.
  • Despite being a somewhat new feature on JP, the newest mission passes are already starting to last longer than the initial ones (4 weeks), the current mission pass is lasting a total of 9 weeks and based on the trailer in the PSO2 Station, the next one is gonna last 6 weeks.
  • As I said in my previous post, it was mentioned that the next PSO2 Station at the end of March is going to be the last one, I think this one is the biggest sign that PSO2 is slowly transitioning into a maintenance only state.
  • The graphics update, limited quest and revival of fire swirl are nice, but they feel more like a last hurrah at this point. I guess it all depends on what they'll show in the next PSO2 Station, but I'm really not expecting much.

@HarmlessSyan said in Will Sega stop making content for PSO2 when NG comes out?:

(common for JP events to last way past the actual holiday, I remember Easter event often starts AFTER Easter).

That's because easter in the east happens on different days than the west, for example, this year it's on April 4th in the west and May 2nd in the east.

@Ezodagrom

I don't watch those streams so I wasn't aware of that.

@Ezodagrom I don't know about the Japanese version but here in America there is a valentines event and urgent quest, it's called where the chocolate went

@TURION-MOONSTAR I was talking about the JP version, the valentine lobby is live there, but no urgent quest and no client orders. The next seasonal events also already have update trailers, and in those trailers they only showed the lobbies, seems like those also won't have urgent quest and client orders on JP this year.

@Ezodagrom I had assumed that JP was an abrieviation for either Japan or Japanese so feel free to correct me if I was mistaken though on the NA version of the game the urgent quest and client orders for this year's valentines event do exist, I completed the last one yesterday

@Ezodagrom said in Will Sega stop making content for PSO2 when NG comes out?:

@TURION-MOONSTAR I was talking about the JP version, the valentine lobby is live there, but no urgent quest and no client orders. The next seasonal events also already have update trailers, and in those trailers they only showed the lobbies, seems like those also won't have urgent quest and client orders on JP this year.

I think at this point, sega is not bothering with JP version content anymore, since NGS is likely being the focus, So yeah it's just reused content circling so the game isn't looking completely dead over there.

I'm pretty sure the game will go into/ is in maintenance mode. Just make some cosmetics to keep the money rolling in which gets funneled to the new thing, or just bring back old cosmetics for the same reason.