Will Sega stop making content for PSO2 when NG comes out?

Will there be no more episodes when NG releases?

They already confirmed last year I think it was that there weren't going to be any more episodes after Episode 6, but they were planning a large-scale update NGS is said large-scale update. You can still play PSO2 as it was originally made, play the new version NGS, or play both. NGS will probably be the only thing getting any new content, though, aside from cosmetics, which seem to be shared between both.

May as well start calling NGS "Episode 7" or for the lulz, PSO3.

lulz.

@Alexandrious947 it will be hard to call it episode 7 because ARKS will be dismantle after episode 6, let's just call it season 2

@Jamesmor said in Will Sega stop making content for PSO2 when NG comes out?:

@Alexandrious947 it will be hard to call it episode 7 because ARKS will be dismantle after episode 6, let's just call it season 2

Naw. Episode and Arks existing as an organization does not correlate to each other. Episode is an episode, just the next Story Arc in the game.

Just like how PSO1 had that Episode 3 which was a completely different game where you could join the Hunters Faction, or Arkz the dark side faction.

Its pretty much Episode 7, but may as well call it how it is.

This is PSO3.

Lulz.

This is exactly what I was afraid of. We JUST GOT PSO2 and it's already ending just as it began.

Logic tells you that they'll continue making content since they also confirmed they would be updating PSO2 itself as well.

@Hatsodoom said in Will Sega stop making content for PSO2 when NG comes out?:

We JUST GOT PSO2 and it's already ending just as it began.

I would love to know how is PSO2 "ending" when we're still going to get Ep 4-6 AND NG is also coming out for us at the same time.

NG is not launching with all of PSO2's classes either, so you'll still be able to prep for future class releases on the current game somewhat.

@TsundereMuse said in Will Sega stop making content for PSO2 when NG comes out?:

NG is not launching with all of PSO2's classes either

We don't even know how the classes will work since you see skills from multiple classes being used.

@Ephemiel said in Will Sega stop making content for PSO2 when NG comes out?:

@TsundereMuse said in Will Sega stop making content for PSO2 when NG comes out?:

NG is not launching with all of PSO2's classes either

We don't even know how the classes will work since you see skills from multiple classes being used.

Annotation 2020-07-24 232817.jpg

This implies the same classes will exist in some form in both games. Perhaps NG will have easier/better switching though.

People need to stop thinking this is the apocalypse and consider it a "replanting." They obviously want to keep their audience while upgrading the quality of the game. To do that the need to overhaul, but they realize this is a huge undertaking so they want to keep the "Old Genesis" as its base before allowing New Genesis to take over. It is going to take a while for NEW Genesis to have as much content as "Old Genesis" if they completely abandoned it then we would be right back to square one ope people crying that they are bored and that there is no content. It's pretty obvious to me, why aren't other people getting this?

I think MS shouldnt have rushed to catch up to NGS. So much of pso2 end game content was wasted because of the rate at which new content came out. Plus recent giveaways have practically killed the need to grind content. Now NGS is coming and it's a new start. Which isn't bad but most pso2 end game features are ghost towns. Most people are at or close to the level cap and again with current giveaways most will reach it very quickly. Which leaves us with nothing to do once you finish the episode content, nothing to grind for (since you got it for free) and now where to go cause end game is a ghost town. I could go on but what's done is done. Sigh.

@TakeBusHead The "end-game" for Phantasy Star Online 2 is breaking records in Time Attacks, hitting the highest score in Endless Quests, or grinding in Divide Quests so you can build the real end-game weapons when those come out in a few weeks.

This game has always moved the goalposts for end-game from crafting Old-Type weapons and units to simplifying the grind via loops of Enchanted Forest Explortion/Buster Quests to get numerous parts to make a weapon you need and the resources to make units you would need, up to what is now effectively a "one-stop Quest" where you can effectively see all of the more unique aspects of quests jammed into one quest (Divide Quests) so players can hop in and out, play the game, and get something for it that won't be wasted.

While I would have liked a slower pace as well, I already played through Episode 5 on the Japanese version enough to know that where we were in Episodes 1-3 were nowhere close and was nowhere near as enjoyable (at least to me). Episode 4 started widening the doors towards what we would expect but it really was not until Episode 5 and 6 where Phantasy Star Online 2 became the action-oriented game it was. The solution I would have preferred which would have been an even worse crunch for global players, was to dump them right into Episode 6 where the Japanese version was at the time (the Luster being teased but their name not revealed) but that already results in so much of the content being dead already because as I mentioned Divide Quests are the only grind we really have that is consistent outside of the new Extreme Quest if you wanted to be caught up without catch-up gear and without free handouts.

While you can argue that there is nothing to grind for the inclusion of the free fifteen star weapons only means that getting the Luminfragment Emels will push those weapons even higher up and that you can use those resources to prepare for the final battle Emergency Quest as well. We are at a point now where players can finally grind and not feel their efforts have been wasted such as the player who spent months burning out on trying to get a Nemesis/Raven weapon and insisting they would still somehow hold up even as Episode 5 completely blasted them away when Lumiere and Atlas weapons were available with a flexibility those weapons could have never seen or when their upgraded forms (Ophistia) were able to drop directly day-one on the Episode 5 release. The global version is a much more "convenient" version of Phantasy Star Online 2 to play because we have no barriers like the Japanese version that stop you from making progress until you complete what is effectively a chore (level cap trials for Successor classes) and with our current catchup mechanics it is definitely not hard to get into the flow of how things currently work now.

The unfortunate thing to me is that this fast-forwarding really shows you how much of Phantasy Star Online 2 does not hold up or how much of it was not planned to last this long due to the incentives of playing the more recent content in order to be geared up or to facilitate gearing up. You have no reason to play Advance Quests now for the purposes of leveling when you have much faster and more efficient methods and unless you really liked them there is no reason to really play a Riding Quest. The older two Challenge Quests are a time capsule of what gameplay "used" to be for classes whereas the third Challenge Quest (not yet available in Global) highlights just how different the game has become as it is facilitated towards both group and solo play. You would touch it for the new Fluxio weapons but when the big target are the Cras weapons and units (the end-game) Divide Quests are still the main goal and target to aim for. This game has a lot of separation and a lot of gatekeeping from itself that I feel was really unnecessary. I do not really believe there should have been as many "difficulties" as there currently are (I would only really look at "Normal" and "Ultra Hard" for the most part now and potentially keep "Extra Hard" as the new "medium" difficulty) and that there being so many different instances set up for quests really alienates the game from itself. I like that Divide Quests attempt to combine aspects of these various and numerous quests together but the main hurdle with them is that it is not friendly content for random groups due to it carrying aspects of Time Attacks, Extreme Quests, and Endless Quests (all of which anticipate the players performing at their peak).

The ghost town isn't because of the fast-forwarding that the global players went through as much as it was that most of that content (when not being the "peak" of the gear ladder or being the current relevant content) was all spliced into content islands that were never sustainable outside of being a chore (such as for Weekly Missions or for the Mission Pass).

@TakeBusHead There is still one more thing to grind for in PSO2, the best weapons and units in the game are gonna be released with the final boss urgent quest and they require alot of mats.

With NGS about to be released in a few months, is it worth to grind for those? Probably not, but it's still something that people who like to grind for stuff can do, I guess.

@VanillaLucia said in Will Sega stop making content for PSO2 when NG comes out?:

The ghost town isn't because of the fast-forwarding that the global players went through as much as it was that most of that content (when not being the "peak" of the gear ladder or being the current relevant content) was all spliced into content islands that were never sustainable outside of being a chore (such as for Weekly Missions or for the Mission Pass).

Completely agreed. Despite PSO2 being a fun game at its core (battle system), the long term content was just poorly planned overall and they focused too much on the end game, which resulted in the poor progression from lvl 1 to cap.

I'm glad that NGS is coming at (possibly) the same time as JP, this fresh start is a chance to have actual progression (unless they make the same mistakes as PSO2, but at least it should be fine at the start).

@Ezodagrom said in Will Sega stop making content for PSO2 when NG comes out?:

they focused too much on the end game

The issue isn't that "they focused too much on the end game" but that they mishandled the end game by constantly replacing instead of expanding it.