Will you continue playing PSO2 or wait for Genesis?

@Miraglyth No, people play games for different reasons and there is no right or wrong way of playing a game. That kind of pigeonholing is an indicator to me that you might want to redirect your energy into expanded how you look at games.

Definitely going to keep playing. I am still enjoying this game while looking forward to the next iteration.

Sighs lets see.

Well ill keep playing spite I know whats happening here, 20 years of mmo experience tells me as such, and I know whats gonna happen in the future.

SEGA isnt gonna keep making more content for PSO2, Episode 6 is the final, that will be it, they will be focusing all efforts in what may as well be PSO3, cuz in the end, its the Monkies in business suits that determines where development money and resources go to. If its seen that New Genesis is more popular and more well received by the JP community, they will treat New Genesis as "Episode 7" cuz thats literally what it is, and go from there.

Anyone who thinks the playerbase will still be fine in PSO2 base is delusional. It wont have the population at least in the west to sustain even being able to do Emergency Quests and the like. Hell for some UQs where you gotta have enough collaborative effort to unlock the final part of the UQ/EQ, during late night I seen it have less than 5 mins remaining, still plenty of time, but imagine that happening or worse, regardless of the time of day for any UQ/EQ.

Also westerners are more attracted to open world games than Japan does. Its why Todd Howard can get away selling Skyrim 10 times over and make tons of money. Its why a game with horrible optimization like TERA is still alive. Western playerbase loves Open world, massive RPGs, you honestly think many people will wanna keep playing this lobby corridor gameplay we got now? Lol........ those that say they do think they do, but they wont.

In the end, unless SEGA is committed to keep releasing new content for both of these games now, thus will need double the developer resources, then you may as well start calling New Genesis, "Episode 7" And since I am very sure in order to maintain the economy, any trade-able outfits you obtain in the Base game, will not be trade-able in New Gen, and vice versa, pretty much, the only benefit to whale or spend money right now is to accure alot of meseta for Episode 6, then make the best weapons and units you possibly can to take with you into Episode 7 Gen in which case until we get more information, may be worth doing, or may not be worth doing period, and you will just end up replacing everything you made with new stuff New Gen has within a week of actually being able to use your carried over units and weapons.

They effectively did this to bring a new life cycle into PSO2 for both JP and the U.S. Not only to refresh things but to fix the horribly balancing and power creep the current game has got. I for one will continue playing, just to get some cosmetics, but mainly to get titles and such, as many as possible in the hopes title count at least carries over.

But until we get more information and absolute finalization of some key pieces, its all really speculation at this point. So for now, may as well do all the story all the way thru episode 6, level the classes you want, collect titles, and once late episode 6 is out, make the best of your favorite weapons and units, in preparation for lol..... Episode 7.

Going to move to other games until NGS arrives. To me the whole PSO2NA just seems like a scam to get people paying for systems that are being wiped or changed next year. Even reached out to the customer service to get AC/SG -purchases (material storage / premium) refunded into AC/SG but not surprisingly they said no.

With the NGS announcement they effectively killed my hype for PSO2 and made me feel scammed. I did enjoy the first 150hrs into to game but everything beyond that was just boring grind that turned out to be all for nothing. Glad the series however continues to "PSO3" but otherwise very disappointed in Sega.

My spendings: 11 character slots (leveled all to 50+), +50 inventory space on main, 4 months of premium, 3 months of material storage (SG) and 2 collection file sheets (SG)

I will continue to play PSO2, since NGS will be its own thing and still allow carrying things over to it.

Lets see i will play very casually (this is the only pso game i played never played the other games ) spent my meseta already on the fashion i want currently and i still have 8 char to farm meseta weekly if i see some cool fashion during the episode 4 -6 casually play 1 or some urgent , ultimate's (cause it s fun for me ) from time to time but as for progressing character gearing ,crafting, chasing B.I.S , affixing these aspect are on the back burner i wont worry about it ill wait for PSO 2 NG for that. PS02 NG basically kinda new game.

Considering gear is going to transfer in some form, I'm willing to bet being an active and established character in pso2:og will give some benefits in pso2:ng. I remember for some time on jp that there were affixes only available from pso2es so we could end up with a system where the two games give benefits to players of both.

@TsundereMuse said in Will you continue playing PSO2 or wait for Genesis?:

Considering gear is going to transfer in some form, I'm willing to bet being an active and established character in pso2:og will give some benefits in pso2:ng. I remember for some time on jp that there were affixes only available from pso2es so we could end up with a system where the two games give benefits to players of both.

See those kinds of incentives are just the kind of thing to help bridge the gap. I’m not too well versed on the JP side of things so thanks for sharing!

I dont see why anyone would stop playing pso2? Especially for those who aren't JP players, so they wouldn't know whats the story going to be until episode 6.

@Miraglyth said in Will you continue playing PSO2 or wait for Genesis?:

I must stress - that's not a problem!

@TINPAN22 said in Will you continue playing PSO2 or wait for Genesis?:

@Miraglyth No, people play games for different reasons and there is no right or wrong way of playing a game.

Well, I tried. 🤷

I must stress - that's not a problem!

@Miraglyth No, people play games for different reasons and there is no right or wrong way of playing a game.

Well, I tried. 🤷

Indeed you did. 🤷

@Dark-Falz-Persona The general consensus that I’ve seen is that people don’t want to spend time on an MMO game that they feel won’t be supported in the future. Whether it’s fun or not isn’t the issue at hand.

@Lagoz8464 said in Will you continue playing PSO2 or wait for Genesis?:

Going to move to other games until NGS arrives. To me the whole PSO2NA just seems like a scam to get people paying for systems that are being wiped or changed next year. Even reached out to the customer service to get AC/SG -purchases (material storage / premium) refunded into AC/SG but not surprisingly they said no.

With the NGS announcement they effectively killed my hype for PSO2 and made me feel scammed. I did enjoy the first 150hrs into to game but everything beyond that was just boring grind that turned out to be all for nothing. Glad the series however continues to "PSO3" but otherwise very disappointed in Sega.

My spendings: 11 character slots (leveled all to 50+), +50 inventory space on main, 4 months of premium, 3 months of material storage (SG) and 2 collection file sheets (SG)

And you're not losing any of it. In fact, this is Sega saying, "Not only can you keep enjoying it, but we're going to make the game look just as good as NGS, AND you can enjoy NGS as a different, new take on PSO2 with the same character, without losing anything from the current PSO2!"

I still will play Phantasy Star Onine 2 and older Phantasy Star games when Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis is out. The games in the series are fun to me.

@Pulptenks said in Will you continue playing PSO2 or wait for Genesis?:

@Pulptenks In an ideal world the switching between games sounds cool but realistically I'm of the opinion that it will split the playerbase for the worse.

I strongly disagree with splitting player base. Each game will be there to complete each other for NA audience if there's any content drought. And classic games tend to be always popular. But that's my two cents and observation from existing games, anyways. Not a bad opinion, I just doubt it'll be the case. Esepcially if the game can finally got Global and have something better then just windows store, it'll only boost the player base.

A lot of people won't have time to grind 2 games, thus it will indeed split the playerbase. Also the chances of them NOT making big updates on PSO2 after NG releases is a VERY real possibility.

While I believe they should have just went the PSO3 route seeing as this is a new game anyways, the reason they didn't makes sense from a financial pov. Link the games just enough to get ppl invested in NG and then slowly phase out PSO2 updates after a long enough time has elapsed that ppl are invested in NG thus mitigating the number of players that quit outright over lack of content for PSO2.

As for if I'll keep playing in the meantime. Im undecided at least for the NA server. I installed the JP version last night because why not enjoy all the content now instead of playing epi 6 for a small bit of time before I move onto NG and leave pso2 in the dust. (Thus is of course under the assumption NG content is regularly rolled out and shown to be the game they start to favor in that regard. Maybe they'll be mad lads and continue both with huge updates. We'll see how they plan to attack it when the time comes.)

Given how generous this whole setup is, I personally don't see any reasons to be apprehensive or fear the worst. That isn't to say that there aren't potential downsides, but so far, it's all sounding like a VERY sweet deal from Sega. And free at that.