Will you continue playing PSO2 or wait for Genesis?

@IfrianMMO said in Will you continue playing PSO2 or wait for Genesis?:

They have already said that while we can transfer our units and weapons and gear, their effects and abilities may be nerfed temporarily so what i assume is that when we start New Genesis with the usual lv20 early cap, that can be seen in the trailer and is typical of PS games, the weapons transferred from PSO2 will be decent lv20 rares that will become obsolete as the game progresses.

Now, the fact they say temporarily makes me wonder if they will either raise their caps or use them as materials for later content, in order to create better weapons at a later cap and stage, that would be cool.

None of the previous online Phantasy Star games started with a lvl 20 cap. At most lvl 20 is when a difficulty change happens, but it has never been the max level at launch.

@Ezodagrom said in Will you continue playing PSO2 or wait for Genesis?:

@IfrianMMO said in Will you continue playing PSO2 or wait for Genesis?:

They have already said that while we can transfer our units and weapons and gear, their effects and abilities may be nerfed temporarily so what i assume is that when we start New Genesis with the usual lv20 early cap, that can be seen in the trailer and is typical of PS games, the weapons transferred from PSO2 will be decent lv20 rares that will become obsolete as the game progresses.

Now, the fact they say temporarily makes me wonder if they will either raise their caps or use them as materials for later content, in order to create better weapons at a later cap and stage, that would be cool.

None of the previous online Phantasy Star games started with a lvl 20 cap. At most lvl 20 is when a difficulty change happens, but it has never been the max level at launch.

It was during the PSO2 beta and it got raised to lv30 soon after launch.

@IfrianMMO You're not completely right.

• Alpha, Alpha 2 and Closed Beta: lvl 20 cap, progress was wiped after each phase.
  • Pre-Open Beta: lvl 30 cap, progress was wiped.
  • Open Beta: lvl 30 cap, progress carried into the official release.
  • Official release: lvl 40 cap (with a lvl 30 soft cap, a client order was needed to unlock the lvl 40 cap)

Since progress only started being carried over in the open beta, the first real cap on PSO2 was lvl 30.

Also you talked about a lvl 20 cap being typical, but, PSO1 had a lvl 100 cap at first (and following versions had lvl 200 caps), PSU started with a lvl 50 cap, and the handheld games varied between lvl 100 or 200 caps, depending on the game.

I'm gonna stick to my plan of clearing all PSO2 content, while eagerly looking forward to having a new game to play after i'm satisfied with my PSO2 run.

I'm a bit of a different breed though, I play MMOs until I have cleared all content that interests me at least once. Once I have maxed out a character and ran all the things I consider the game completed and move on. Back in the day this meant I was part of an MMO for months or in some cases nearly a year. These days the "Grind" of an MMO has been lessened for the sake of casual players, meaning watered down or "Streamlined" MMOs that can be beat in weeks or at most a month. For me, the biggest exception to this being when an MMO has enjoyable PvP.

So as a player who doesn't care about cosmetic dress up or living in a singular game for the next few years I am super hyped to hear that a new game is on the way!

@DankNugs9429 Interesting! On your point about the grind getting easier with games like this. I’ve often thought the same but have always attributed it to having more time to invest in them as I’ve grown older.

@TINPAN22 Thanks for sharing, i'm sure that definitely helps. I say with little pride that i'm a life long slacker. I don't work but due to other interests have a bit less time for MMOs these days than I used to and yet I find I fly through them so much faster than when I was younger and they were really starting to bloom.

For example when I played this in 2015 on JP it took me nearly 4x longer to get where I am now on NA. I asked about this in the newbie thread and a very helpful player explained that this is because this version of PSO2 is streamlined to get you up to content that we don't currently have available which I think is why we have so many players at a loss for what to do after max level.

I'm only playing PSO2 whenever there's new contents just so I can keep up with my alliance which will most likely all transfer over to NGS. I abruptly stopped doing all dailies and unimportant UQs to stop my meseta income because I have enough of it to support myself through 6 episodes and all will be lost when I transfer over.

This announcement has me hyped for the new open world iteration of PSO2 but has also greatly reduced my enjoyment of og PSO2.

Luckily, there is some content I have yet to do on JP, so that will certainly keep me busy once it comes around. The NG announcement does have me excited for that more than what's to come, yet I think the best bet is for me to now forget about NG, and focus on PSO2 for now, as content does get better from here on out, and I want to fully experience it while I can.

Plan to keep playing. I didn't wait 8+ years for nothing yo 😄

Simple answer, keep playing.

If Sega didn't drag their feet getting PSO2 to North America so late they could've just made New Genesis PSO3. They don't want NA players to feel shafted by dropping a new game too soon. They should save themselves some trouble and just make it PSO3.

Gonna keep playing. It's around a year out most likely, so I gotta keep myself in the game. Besides, fashion will likely transfer, meaning I have to keep myself looking good before I enter NGS.

It's a whole year away. The majority of players don't stick to one game for more than a handful of months no matter what. Though if it's a good game there's a continual influx of new players, and returning players coming back occasionally to re-visit content (and/or catch up on the new content).

Personally, I plan to be playing this game all the way through until NGS, except for a short break to enjoy Cyberpunk 2077. And I assume I'll be spending most of my time in NGS once it comes out, but only the future knows.

@Bette said in Will you continue playing PSO2 or wait for Genesis?:

It's a whole year away. The majority of players don't stick to one game for more than a handful of months no matter what.

I've been playing PSO2 for eight years. Depending on how I feel I may not go back and forth between both games. I think it's stupid to make NG a part of PSO2. If it's a whole new client they should just make it a whole new game.

@WormyMeat434 Not if the story is about the same character, and not if the idea was to tell more time travel, paradox stories. Calling something stupid, without first hand knowledge of the reasoning behind it, isn't exactly smart, in and of itself.