So do cosmetics/costumes carry over?

Because there is such a graphical leap I highly doubt that they have high poly versions of the costumes they made, especially considering they wanted graphical parity across 8 years. I think it's a little unreasonable to think that the outfits could just be ported over, they'd have to be remodeled or re textured. Were monster hunter fans splitting this many hairs when they went from Generations Ultimate to World? I know this situation is a little different because of micro-transactions, but it's not like PSO2 is going to poof at launch.

@Merelambasted said in So do cosmetics/costumes carry over?:

Because there is such a graphical leap I highly doubt that they have high poly versions of the costumes they made, especially considering they wanted graphical parity across 8 years. I think it's a little unreasonable to think that the outfits could just be ported over, they'd have to be remodeled or re textured. Were monster hunter fans splitting this many hairs when they went from Generations Ultimate to World? I know this situation is a little different because of micro-transactions, but it's not like PSO2 is going to poof at launch.

I am also kind of wondering how they plan to update the base version graphically as was mentioned in the video. They don't have all the classes, weapons, and units modeled so I don't see how they can upgrade the base version to the NGS fidelity like they claim in the followup video

@MiyenHalo said in So do cosmetics/costumes carry over?:

what he pointed out is that one single costume carries over, and technically that costume was part of the initial character creation. can't really point to that and say everything else will be there too.

and if I remember correctly units will be invisible, meaning they do not have models just stats and an icon in your inventory.

now that makes me scared...if i am scared everyone is now the "character creation" phrase could mean that really and just the creation you make in pso2 is being carried over not the outfits...oh my god im scared

This is the #1 question I think needs to be answered. There are 2 main things to spend money on in PSO2.

1. Cosmetics
  2. Inventory capacity and other convenience items

Most players who have spent money, like myself, have done so on AC tickets for cosmetics. If those items do not carry over to PSO2:NG, then it will feel like a huge scam that PSO2 came out in America at all.

The speculation is that "registered account items" will carry over, but that wouldn't included outerwear, costumes, or weapon skins. I have 15-20 custom looks right now that I cycle between, using one or two a day whenever I play. If all of those are suddenly null, and none carry over, then I have no reason to play PSO2 anymore, and the money I spent will have been completely wasted.

We really need an official statement about this, as the New Genesis release completely kills PSO2 if things players earn in game or buy with AC/SG do not carry over.

@RayearthIX You don't play because it's fun? There are a lot of multiplayer games I've enjoyed without cosmetics. I guess I do play it for the social aspect as well so I just enjoying hanging out and chatting.

@Merelambasted Sure, I play because it is fun (wouldn't spend money on cosmetics if it wasn't), but if I know that any progression I have in the game is going to be wiped out in a year or less, why am I going to bother? All of my friends in PSO2 play other games, so why would I play PSO2 instead of one of those other games? Yes, those games are different (no dancing rappies or amazing cosmetic customization, for example), but if I know that anything I do in the game will be meaningless in less than a year... why bother? The other games I own are also fun.

MMO's, and other online games, sell you perpetuity. It's a lie, but they offer it. For all players, the perfect world would be the server never shuts down. But players, in return, expect to at least get time with the game (5-10 years or more depending on the title), and 1 year is not what players expect outside the world of COD and FIFA. Yes, 8 in Japan, but only 1 here in the US.

So to be blunt, if SEGA tells us that cosmetics don't carry over, then I, and thousands of other players, will have essentially been told that we've wasted the money we spent in a game that will be dead in a year, because lets be honest - New Genesis is basically PSO3, and once it comes out, very few people are still going to be playing PSO2.

Edit: As I said in my first post, we need an official statement about this. If the cosmetics carry over, then all is good and we keep playing, having fun, and maybe spending money. But if they don't... then... well, I just hope they do.

So I was interested in this and took a look at the PSO2 manual myself in search of official terminology. And from what I found .... Annotation 2020-07-24 154142.jpg

editor-advanced-custom-14514.jpg

"Character Creation Info" includes attire which covers costumes and layered wear. This is taken from the online PSO2 manual under the "Advanced Customization" tab under Character Customization.

@Night-Warden363 The problem is that outerwear, costumes, and weapon cosmetics, are not registered to your account. If you remove them from your inventory or storage (by putting them in the shop, for example), they won't appear on the character options in the editor anymore, which is not the same as innerwear or hair, for example, which are bound to the character once used. So the game does not treat them the same way.

@RayearthIX Right. From the terminology they use I'm lead to believe that previously used fashion consumables and emotes are included WITH the info that we can carry over. Not just the actual attire items like costumes and outer-ware. Ofc this is up to anyone's interpretation.

@RayearthIX That applies to the default human hunter outfit shown in the video, which they show in action in NGS during a part of the video that is about both games sharing character data.

@Night-Warden363 Right, which is why I would like an official statement. That's all. I think that's all anyone wants is an official statement so we can have some clarity about this and not just go by speculation.

Overall it looks like some aspects with shared between PSO2 and PSO2:NG. With the ability to play between both you don't really lose anything. Think of it less as you PSO2 is going away and New Genesis is replacing it, but rather you are going to get to play PSO2 and New Genesis.

Anything you had to consume for your character to use cosmetic wise is going to transfer. We don't know about outerwear or outfits though. I'd imagine they still would. But we will see. At the very least they won't be lost when moving back and forth. So you'll still own them till if/when PSO2 og servers go down. But I don't imagine that will happen even if they stop receiving new content a year or 2 after NGS drops.

@Knight-Raime said in So do cosmetics/costumes carry over?:

Anything you had to consume for your character to use cosmetic wise is going to transfer.

Source?