So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.

I don't understand why they are doing this. Why make a separate game that you can switch between when you can just bring it together. It should be added as an expansion to which the game engine is updated, etc., or should be done along the lines like how they did FFXIV. This will effectively kill off PSO2 as people move onto New Genesis even though you can switch between the two. I don't see them adding really anything new to PSO2 when they will be working mainly on content for New Genesis. New Genesis takes place after PSO2 so the story will continue in New Genesis meaning of course, they will be putting more content into New Genesis leaving PSO2 behind.

I don't get why people are saying it's going to kill PSO2. The community is very strong standing behind older the older titles in the series. PSO still runs on several private servers and PSU is also supposed to be getting a revamped private server soon as well. If anything this negates the need for preservationists to rush to get a PSO2 one up and running.

Let's see. . .

Episode 4 in roughly 2 weeks, and they even surprised us with Challenge Quests (from Episode 4) early. Episode 5 in September (because it's as late Q3 as you can get), then Episode 6 within Q4; and since 6 is wrapping up on the JP side, they could just as easily give us the complete Episode 6 (this is not confirmed, only a possibility), thus effectively attaining that parity they set a goal for. Then it's both regions moving forward toward NGS together. No downside there.

"Predatory/cash grab/etc." - Except Sega's basically said (in whatever vague terms) you can bring it all with you. All those OPTIONAL cosmetics that no one put a gun to your head and said "buy this or else" have the green light to come over OR stay there with you. And if you DON'T want to jump to NGS, well here's a graphics engine upgrade on par with NGS so you can continue enjoying PSO2 just as you already have been, now with a better look! And hey, if you DO decide you want to try out NGS, guess what? Your character creation data works between both and you lose literally nothing! I see nothing predatory there.

"Why bother with PSO2 now?" - Do you like PSO2? Were you looking forward to it all this time? Because NGS isn't a replacement for it. NGS isn't even meant to pull you away from PSO2 but merely offer a different take on what you've enjoyed whether for 1 year or 8 years so far. And hey, all those cool things you bought? Again, you can still enjoy them in NGS, and without losing access to, or the ability to still enjoy PSO2. Where's the downside in that?

"PSO2 will die out/they're gonna stop updating PSO2" - While it's an inevitability, if it were going to happen any time soon, why bother updating and pairing it with NGS? Why take on the challenge of making your character data work interchangeably between both forms of PSO2? No one is saying you can't enjoy both; in fact Sega is literally saying "enjoy both, we're going to make it possible to do so". And even as the original PSO2 will eventually age and end, they've given a whole new take on it to effectively keep going, and already plan to support both going forward anyways. So again, not much of a downside to that.

From what I'm seeing, Sega's being abnormally generous here.

@Kuon Look at it this way. On JP current gear progression can be summed up real quick and too accurately to wielding random drops until you can use Dim 14* weapons that cost 50k on the visiphone. At which point you either choose to leapfrog between some weak 15* or two, or just aim straight at the BIS 15*. 95% of the weapon rooster is completely useless progress wise. PSO2 has been following formula where if you stop playing for a year, the weapon you're wielding is in 50k or some welfare currency bin and you need to start grinding for a new powerful weapon anew. PSO2 NGS doesn't really do anything with it as grinding for new weapons anew is nothing new in PSO2 progress. Levels also probably won't matter much because I am sure the game will start with much lower level cap, and overall grind will be comparable to getting all relevant classes up to level cap after a level cap increase.

What I hope to see is actually for our affixes to become useless. NA players shouldn't be angry because their pathetic 130 attack units with no other stats would be garbage bin tier and you could make a better one for 2m per unit in EP6, but EP6 JP affixing has been getting ridiculous and in addition to that SG gated when it comes to high tier affixing. We've reached the point of nearly maxing out what units can even have with 8s affixes containing upward of 300 attack. Sure it sucks for people who bought into SG scratch, but I shouldn't have compassion for part of people abusing pay to win features to get their SG scratch done.

Best thing they could do in my opinion would be to manage it all to launch both games from the same launcher and start screen. Make it as seamless as possible, just like how in PS Universe you had the main offline campaign using the pre made named character (Ethan whatever) and a side online section with your own created character, both with their own separate gear and progress. That would make the games seem like one, and the experience would be less painful for some.

Then again, Sega isn't a stranger to doing things like this. Remember Ambition of Illuminous?

Man, this really sucks almost all the wind out of my sails. Since I was mainly sailing for the all 75s at a leisurely pace. If I didn't love the gameplay experience so much I would absolutely stop playing and wait for NGS next year. But I do so..

"Whale On!" ;0 ;~/

o/ =^.^=

NSG isn't really an expansion persay, its more of its own brand new title. It might be bold of me to say this but I don't believe NGS was ever meant to be an expansion to PSO2. However, in order not to alienate the PSO2 community, and also to help the game piggyback off the success of PSO2 JP they allowed the title to share the franchise name hence why its called PSO2: New Genesis. I wouldn't be surprised if the original time for the game was simple Phanstay Star Online: New Genesis.

Anyway, from a business standpoint, it makes sense, not that I'm defending it. But wiping your character clean for NGS means they can get you to spend on new content. But monetization aside one thing to remember is that NGS is its own game and not everything is compatible with PSO2, trying to combine two different games into one, only the bare minimum would have to be done in order for them to link the games together, hence why the only things you keep are character looks, some weps/armor, costumes and mags.

I do think there was a fear of backlash here as well. Since the two games are not as compatible as a proper expansion should be, I think what's most likely going to happen is that once NGS releases, support for the original PSO2 will drop altogether in order to allow the team to focus on expanding NGS. I can very strongly see future content for PSO2 being NGS exclusive which would over time force PSO2 players to migrate to the NGS side of the server, which in turn means most people would have to start over fresh, which is exactly what they want you to do, not just for money purposes but in order to pull in new and returning players alike with a new experience.

In the end there are good points and bad points to NGS. I think NGS will favor new players over the veterans but I also thing SEGA knew this and thats why they sort of through the playerbase a bone by allowing them to transfer some progress over to NGS, even if that progress is the absolute bare minimum at best.

@Zizel said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

But I also thing SEGA knew this and thats why they sort of through the playerbase a bone by allowing them to transfer some progress over to NGS, even if that progress is the absolute bare minimum at best.

Pretty much this.

Imagine if they had announced PSO3, 4 months after the Western release, and with 0 carry-over, it would have then truly killed PSO2NA and it would have been criticized by pretty much the entire world´s gaming press, at Microsoft and Sega´s cost.

But to be fair, for someone who played PSO2JP for 8 years like me, this is probably the best that could happen.

And the fact we can bring our weapons with us makes me very happy, because i do love me my Xion Weapons and Flowen Sword.

NG has new engine and set 1,000 years after pso2. Its not the same game so ... why would you stop playing this one?

I'm kinda excited, the map layout and size of the boss they showed reminds me of monster hunter which is neat because I've always thought of pso as a sci fi monster hunter game.

@DankNugs9429 said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

NG has new engine and set 1,000 years after pso2. Its not the same game so ... why would you stop playing this one?

Because people with intensive jobs or families can only really afford to play one MMORPG at a time if they are invested into it.

And let us not forget that PSO, PSU and PSO2 were extremely grindy during it´s first year of service and before they added EXP filled quests, boss gauntlets and bonus content, and that most probably New Genesis is going to offer the same.

We have already seen that the early cap with be lv20, not only because it´s the tradition in online Phantasy Star games since but because all the trailers show characters at lv20 during most of the boss fighting scenes.

But those 20 levels take an extremely long time to achieve with the content available during the lv20 cap and the power available with the weapons that can be found under lv20, i mean, just look at the damage numbers during the trailer despite using a Sword.

During the PSO2 beta, i was dealing something in the range of 8 points of damage per hit with a Sword at lv1, so suddenly those one-shottable enemies in the forst took 4 or 5 full combos to go down and if they hit you once 75% of your HP was gone.

Furthermore, if you are invested into the game, you will want to play as much as possible to try to make some dough in the early market, when people are willing to spend all they have on a lv20 rare weapon despite knowing that a new cap will come relatively soon, and when people are willing to waste as much meseta as they can produce even on a "max level" PA.

A new MMORPG release is a very busy time if you plan to play it long-term.

@Kuon said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

I don't understand why they are doing this. Why make a separate game that you can switch between when you can just bring it together. It should be added as an expansion to which the game engine is updated, etc., or should be done along the lines like how they did FFXIV. This will effectively kill off PSO2 as people move onto New Genesis even though you can switch between the two. I don't see them adding really anything new to PSO2 when they will be working mainly on content for New Genesis. New Genesis takes place after PSO2 so the story will continue in New Genesis meaning of course, they will be putting more content into New Genesis leaving PSO2 behind.

NGS is essentially a new game, it just couldn't be added as an expansion to the base PSO2.

Why it's a separate game?

• For the new gameplay systems to work on the base PSO2, every area, all enemies and bosses would have to be completely remade. Plus the classes are gonna be changed completely to the point where some of the existing PSO2 weapons types are not gonna be usable at launch.
  • It's not only a fresh start for the players, it's a fresh start for the dev team. The current PSO2 is very bloated, there's multiple failed experiments in it, ideas that just didn't work out as well as the dev team expected, features that changed alot over time, power creep over 8 years that resulted in the current bloated damage numbers that players can do (the 2012 JP PSO2 started with single to two digits damage numbers), this power creep has also completely broken the game balance throughout the early parts of the game (enemies are too weak). It's not just numbers, buffs to players mobility and actions resulted in enemies from older content not being able to keep up (they're too passive for the current systems).

The new game is a chance for the dev team to take what they learned from the development of PSO2 and create a more streamlined experience, something that is easier for new players to get into over the bloated experience that is the current PSO2, while also creating an experience that is more fun and engaging than the mess that is the start of PSO2 currently.

Why not shutdown the current PSO2 when NGS launches then?

This may not apply as well to the NA version due to it being so recent, but, those who have played on the JP version for the past 8 years may be attached to the current PSO2, and may not be ready to completely move on from PSO2 right away.

Plus NGS will most certainly start without much content, and updates will naturally be alot slower than the current PSO2 NA. The original PSO2 will serve as a nice distraction while the amount of content ramps up for NGS.

There can still be reasons to play the regular PSO2, like, hunting for cool looking weapons that may not drop on NGS (with the purpose of bringing those weapons to NGS), or just experiencing PSO2 areas or bosses in a new coat of paint.

I wouldn't be surprised if after a few years the original PSO2 will end up not being supported anymore, but for a while it'll be nice for those who have played it for all these years to still be able to revisit it.

@IfrianMMO said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

We have already seen that the early cap with be lv20, not only because it´s the tradition in online Phantasy Star games since

Huh... none of the online PS games launched with a lvl 20 cap.

@Ezodagrom said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

@Kuon said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

NGS is essentially a new game, it just couldn't be added as an expansion to the base PSO2.

Why it's a separate game?

• For the new gameplay systems to work on the base PSO2, every area, all enemies and bosses would have to be completely remade. Plus the classes are gonna be changed completely to the point where some of the existing PSO2 weapons types are not gonna be usable at launch.
  • It's not only a fresh start for the players, it's a fresh start for the dev team. The current PSO2 is very bloated, there's multiple failed experiments in it, ideas that just didn't work out as well as the dev team expected, features that changed alot over time, power creep over 8 years that resulted in the current bloated damage numbers that players can do (the 2012 JP PSO2 started with single to two digits damage numbers), this power creep has also completely broken the game balance throughout the early parts of the game (enemies are too weak). It's not just numbers, buffs to players mobility and actions resulted in enemies from older content not being able to keep up (they're too passive for the current systems).

The new game is a chance for the dev team to take what they learned from the development of PSO2 and create a more streamlined experience, something that is easier for new players to get into over the bloated experience that is the current PSO2, while also creating an experience that is more fun and engaging than the mess that is the start of PSO2 currently.

Why not shutdown the current PSO2 when NGS launches then?

This may not apply as well to the NA version due to it being so recent, but, those who have played on the JP version for the past 8 years may be attached to the current PSO2, and may not be ready to completely move on from PSO2 right away.

Plus NGS will most certainly start without much content, and updates will naturally be alot slower than the current PSO2 NA. The original PSO2 will serve as a nice distraction while the amount of content ramps up for NGS.

There can still be reasons to play the regular PSO2, like, hunting for cool looking weapons that may not drop on NGS (with the purpose of bringing those weapons to NGS), or just experiencing PSO2 areas or bosses in a new coat of paint.

I wouldn't be surprised if after a few years the original PSO2 will end up not being supported anymore, but for a while it'll be nice for those who have played it for all these years to still be able to revisit it.

@IfrianMMO said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

We have already seen that the early cap with be lv20, not only because it´s the tradition in online Phantasy Star games since

Huh... none of the online PS games launched with a lvl 20 cap.

If this is indeed how it ends up playing out; I will be 100% happy with it. So i'll just hope for the best then ❤

Because people with intensive jobs or families can only really afford to play one MMORPG at a time if they are invested into it. But those 20 levels take an extremely long time to achieve with the content available during the lv20 cap and the power available with the weapons that can be found under lv20, i mean, just look at the damage numbers during the trailer despite using a Sword.

During the PSO2 beta, i was dealing something in the range of 8 points of damage per hit with a Sword at lv1, so suddenly those one-shottable enemies in the forst took 4 or 5 full combos to go down and if they hit you once 75% of your HP was gone. A new MMORPG release is a very busy time if you plan to play it long-term.

No idea how it's a bad thing. What you said is pretty much how Ultra Hard plays out in Free Fields except numbers are inflated. New Genesis is a new start so complaining about slow leveling is missing the point. There is no big end game in such releases that is not available on lower levels, and you're supposed to just do quests while levels increase on their own. It's just PSO2 current form that's broken by locking the relevant and balanced content behind ever increasing level cap offset by 5 or 10 levels, and your whole goal is to get out of barren early game and VHAQ then Bonus Quest spam.

From what I've seen on the trailer, I feel this is like a project that was at one time going to be PSO3 with it's own universe (again) and different gameplay. But it seems they didn't do enough to make it much different from PSO2, so they slapped PSO2's coat of paint and named it a "self contained expansion". As I mentioned that game in a previous post before, I'll now say that this feels to me a bit like Ambition of the Illuminous all over again. Though I don't remember if you could port anything from PSU to AOTI.... I'll need to check on that. Still, the concept of one game eclipsing the other doesn't seem new.

I just feel betrayed. I grinded so hard to reach all classes to max level, finished yesterday, and also created multiple character to grab the Glory Badges to get the Ray Equipments from the Event, only to now realize I shouldn't have invested near half that much energy into it. I feel burnt out and betrayed. Most content creators kept saying we need to grind as fast as possible to get ready for the release of EP 4, grab our Nemesis / Slave weapons, etc. It's what I did. Now, it is not that relevant anymore. I can't help but feel sad.