So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.

I mean by that logic I (and most people here probably) have spent hundred of thousands of dollars on sega products over the years. I've owned everything from PS1-PS4, unvierse, online, CARD REVOLUTION even, Sega master drive / 32x / cd / saturn / genesis / entire libraries for all of them / dream cast etc.

Its less of a motivational point that 'oh my grand should carry over here' if we're going to be honest with the logic behind the sentiment.

I can see people, including myself, going on a buying spree for AC and SG items when we learn what will transfer over.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

@HarmlessSyan The ones pissed off about this are the same types that get pissed off from everything. In their worlds there is no right side of the bed.

Gonna have to agree with Darth Malice. I am quite pleased. This will allow new and old players to play together.

@SizedBead674873 This is the crux of my concern. It's fine to say in a bubble that this is good, but knowledge of how it has worked for other games in the past is why this concerns me.

Apparently "Skill Rings, Consumable Items used for battle, growth, and enhancements, Boost Items, Materials and Furnishings" is 90% of the content according to some of you.

What would be great is if they add some method to join current PSO2 content seamlessly from NG. Like a VR terminal or something that acts like a quest counter.

The fact that there are people who cannot understand how for many others, the appeal of PSO2 is somewhat diminished by the NG announcement is quite puzzling.

It´s okay if you are still super excited for the game, but it´s just as valid and understandable that for many others this has meant varying degrees of disappointment or careful consideration for future investments, due to not knowing if all investments will move forward.

@TsundereMuse said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

What would be great is if they add some method to join current PSO2 content seamlessly from NG. Like a VR terminal or something that acts like a quest counter.

We don't know this for certain yet, but it seems very likely that NGS will be an entirely separate client.

@Ilúvatar said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

@TsundereMuse said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

We don't know this for certain yet, but it seems very likely that NGS will be an entirely separate client.

Yeah, I was just musing that it would be neat mostly.

@Ilúvatar said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

Yeah, I was just musing that it would be neat mostly.

It is amusing that you are musing while being called Muse.

I'm struggling to understand the timing of this announcement. This game had to have been in development for a while up until now, but then this drops and basically says your progress won't move over. They had to have thought that would cause some people to stop playing and just wait for the new game?

I don't understand at least from an NA or EU player perspective. They have to know the playerbase would see this and realize that the active player count would take at least a small dive after you acknowledge that your leveling progress won't transfer.

For JP, it's understandable. This game is old to them. They want something new. They put in plenty of years into this. Cynical me thinks we were just to get some extra money perhaps to fund what was coming up. Optimistic me doesn't have an opinion because I also just realized they weren't going to even bring PSO2 to us at all without Microsoft intervening.

While I'm excited for the announcement, it makes me wonder what the point is of having a "returning" event for alliances when you also tell them their progress won't matter next year most likely.

@Ephemiel said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

Apparently "Skill Rings, Consumable Items used for battle, growth, and enhancements, Boost Items, Materials and Furnishings" is 90% of the content according to some of you.

You're glossing over the concept of an 'expansion'. Level / stats / classes unlocked / quests / whole host of entire mechanics are not transferring over.

Imagine if WoW released burning crusade as a stand alone client that transferred over some data (but not your level / stats / quests / skills / most items / etc).

Are you starting to see the semantic and realistic difference between the concepts?

I rather they just kill the base game then update it to new engine. and transfer everything over. what's the point in having one dead game with no service updates and fragmenting the playerbase

@Eri-Natori Because unlike the NA version which has started only recently, JP players may be atached to 8 years of progress that they're not ready to leave right away. We may also want to still play existing content from the base PSO2 even after NGS launches, since it's quite possible that NGS won't have alot of content at launch.

While PSO2 NA started with quite a sizable amount of content (even in the betas), the same wasn't true for JP. PSO2 JP started with a total of 4 areas/expedition, 1 urgent quest if I'm not mistaken, 1 time attack quest, 4 story chapters (not the full episode 1 like the NA beta), 3 classes, lvl 40 cap and only normal and hard mode difficulties. It took 5 months until we got our first major boss urgent quest (Dark Falz Elder).

It's quite possible that something like this will happen with NGS, not having much content at all at the start, and naturally content updates will be much slower than NA currently, so the base PSO2 will provide a nice distraction while NGS starts getting more content. Once NGS has a sizable enough amount of content, it's possible that the base PSO2 will end for good.