So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.

Honestly this doesn't piss me off at all (and I bought Ragol Edition + Ragol Fashion pack, + another sub). I also didn't play JP much at all.

The game is old. It needs to be updated. I was EXTREMELY surprised when they announced it for NA when they did last year, because the game is 8 years old now and that's a really long time to wait to release it in the West. While you could argue they are being "predatory", the only thing they are being "predatory" with are optional cosmetic items. The actual gameplay is completely free. The bulk of the cosmetics can be sold and purchased in the auction house, or even traded if you have a kind friend who doesn't mind parting with stuff.

Both sides of the argument are right. This is both an expansion/upgrade, and a new game. The old game is getting the new engine and graphic overhaul, while New Genesis will feature a larger open world to explore. While the combat will likely be the same, I feel like the way you experience the game will be different. I am getting the impression New Genesis will be open more akin to something like Black Desert Online (not AS open though, I'm sure there will be multiple planets to explore), but the worlds/stages will be much larger. Exploration might be a thing here. Meanwhile, PSO2 will remain as it always has been, with a single lobby and a ton of instances.

My real concern are the AC/Cash Shop cosmetics. If those transfer over too then there's absolutely nothing to fret over. If they don't then I'll be slightly disappointed (only slightly though, because I've always been of the mindset the next PSO was right around the corner).

I do think this community needs to calm down and enjoy what exists though. SEGA has made a lot of mistakes, but the game is still fun and I'd rather the series exist than it not. The game having issues with a lot of people on PC seems more to do with Microsoft than SEGA, so I feel like much of the anger needs to be directed towards Microsoft Store staff as opposed to SEGA staff. There seems to be a link between Windows Updates, the Microsoft Store, and permissions. So screaming here or on SEGA's twitter is like yelling at the messenger, where the messenger is probably some intern whose only real job is to paraphrase an email they get as they get them. The devs are based in Japan and I suspect the localization team only translates. But again, the PC concerns seem to be more a Microsoft issue than a SEGA issue.

This also makes sense to me why we're getting cash shop items so freaking fast. They really are on a tight time table here to get us caught up/give people opportunities to unlock cosmetics they want. Because this has me thinking the bulk of the cosmetics WILL transfer. So I think once we get Nier, yes you can probably run around the shiny New Genesis lands as 2B.

Anyway, I also kind of wish this community would be nicer to each other. We all want to play and enjoy the game (at least I think we all do), so even IF someone says something you don't agree with, that doesn't really call for you to be rude to them, belittle them, etc. Friendly communities are great. Let's try to be friendly, please?

@John-Paul-RAGE And that's fine. And when in 3 months, most players abandon Base Game for New Gen, and it becomes a struggle to fill 12 man groups on some servers, is it still fine? When alliances drop down to skeleton groups, and people have to basically band together in to a single alliance to still have decent numbers of people playing, is that still fine?

I'm not advocating removing player choice. That's a side effect. I'm advocating not splitting the player base. What happens to say, ship 3 if 80% of players want to move to New Gen? You just have to deal with not getting to clear content sometimes because you can't fill groups? I want to play Etoile too, but playing Etoile after most of the playerbase has moved on doesn't make for a fun experience.

@Zythi5373 I understand your thinking of the clean break, but I think it's just a difference in opinion. SEGA is hoping to avoid people quitting Phantasy Star completely if they do a clean break especially some classes won't even be available at launch. Rather they want to slowly goad people into NG, like "whenever you're ready".

I wouldn't worry that much about splitting the playerbase especially for JP with 10 ships still active, the new game will also attract new players to join in, but yes - PSO2 will slowly die, I believe this is the eventual goal.

@Zythi5373 probably the successor classes will be in New Genesis but not right from the start, in the first trailer they shown several PAs there are from Phantom that clearly shows they will bring those classes even more when JP soon will gonna have another Successor class

@Zythi5373 said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

@John-Paul-RAGE And that's fine. And when in 3 months, most players abandon Base Game for New Gen, and it becomes a struggle to fill 12 man groups on some servers, is it still fine? When alliances drop down to skeleton groups, and people have to basically band together in to a single alliance to still have decent numbers of people playing, is that still fine?

Yes, of course that's fine. If you want to play regular PSO2, then play it, now.

@Zythi5373 said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

@HarmlessSyan Which is fine. In that case just end PSO2. Transfer everything over, sure. Allow characters to move, also good. But just end PSO2. Don't keep people in it, don't leave the servers hanging around to split the playerbase. Just clean break, and move to New Gen.

Personally I really like many of the boss fights/urgent quests on base PSO2 and I'm glad that I'll still be able to do them once NGS releases. Plus I'm actually eager to see the base PSO2 content in the new graphics engine, and I'm sure there's others that will agree with me.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if there'll be incentives to play on base PSO2.

@Ezodagrom Yes, I agree, I also look forward to graphic upgrades, and I know youre a JP player also - they will probably offer something for NG for playing PSO2 like PSO2es and IDOLA is doing right now.

@Zythi5373 This is what happens in new games, they already said they will bring over the classes. Everyone should start treating this expac as a new game as it pretty much seems to be going that way. Just a very nice one that lets us bring over all our cosmetics we have earned.

@HarmlessSyan We'll see. I think people will quit anyways when 6 months in to New Gen the class they love from the base game isn't available, and they're struggling to find groups/alliances in base game, but maybe not.

@Ezodagrom Maybe there will be, but unless the incentives encourage actually splitting time, it will just be people logging in on wednesday post reset to clear out the incentives and then swapping back to New Gen.

Seeing the content in a new engine will be neat sure. For the first two months. Then we'll have seen it all and mostly all be playing New Gen.

@Ilúvatar We'll see if people still have that opinion 6 months after New Gen launches. My guess based on past player base splits in other games will be: "No"

I'm definitely not going to be splitting time between them and will be rolling over in the new game when it drops. I do love open world, the graphics look clean, hoping they have a simplified UI system as the menu system in game can easily be streamline to have less windows to go through to do things and I would get the fresh start expected of a new release which was previously denied.

Provided that Sega and Microsoft can work together and fix the client to not nuke itself or re download itself to the point where I have to regularly go through system to prune out extra downloads chomping few hundred gb of storage, it's release could possibly be FFXIV lvl of redemption from the release it got over here.

It does make me put the current game into maintenance mode as there doesn't seem to be a point in finishing episode 3 going forward or lvling up all classes and farming gear to get into higher lvl content. Which I'm cool with, can do bare minimal needed to gather stargems and gather the occasional meseta to buy accessories or hairstyles that I might want to transfer over with me, NG seems like my jam so look forward to it 🙂

Everyone knows i am extremely critic of SEGA and Microsoft, so i am not a defending fanboy in the least.

But in this specific scenario it feels like you guys will be angry no matter what they do, because if they had just made PSO3 you would complain we just got milked, but now that they made a transferable "sister game" then it´s also somehow bad.

Also, we will see which classes are available because in one of the trailers i am pretty much sure i saw one of the Etoile attacks (The wand beam)

We will see how things work when we get more information.

consider the following new friend: what if everquest released its ruins of kunark "expansion" as a second stand alone game that could transfer some of your character data. It would have been a disaster and an incredibly stupid marketing move; because they would have been creating artificial competition with themselves.

And actually. That is exactly what happened to everquest 2.

I dont think anyone is mad or angry / upset (at least im not); I just have seen this play out multiple times over just within the past 20 years. This is going to be a horrifically bad move. They should just make it an entirely new game that doesnt transfer anything over.

Id prefer that to calling it an "expansion"

Let's say you've invested a couple grand in PSO2 over 8 years, mostly on cosmetic stuff, and then PSO3 comes out and all of that is lost. Would you be a bit perturbed? You probably would be.

Now imagine instead PSO2:NGS comes out, and it's basically PSO3, but you get to keep all that fancy stuff you spent money on. Would you not prefer this?

It is entirely sensible why they chose this path.