So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.

I'll need some education here, how many global games where NA, EU and Asia can play together have existed? I mean, I mentioned before that in online action games like this, ping may be a big factor. The faster the game, the bigger the need for good ping. How would server structure function on a global game?

@Viola-Lance said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

So, is this the thread with pitchforks and torches or the soap box virtual signaling over limited information on whats to come?

Gotta make sure I jump on the most popular bandwagon. Something, something, being apart of the in crowd, peer pressure thing.

No, that's the sukumizu thread.

I really hope this new Genesis game is a lot tidier than current PSO2 because I'm lvl 25 in PSO2 and I've honestly got no idea what I'm doing... I just wanted to follow a story but the menus are so messy the whole thing is a confusing mess as a new player.

I have high hopes Genesis will be where I can start and understand the game.

Do we have any idea if the music registered to our rooms is going to carry over?

@ZorokiHanuke said in So New Genesis will carry over very little from PSO2? What is the point in calling it an expansion if 90% of the content wont transfer over. You've effectively killed PSO2.:

I'll need some education here, how many global games where NA, EU and Asia can play together have existed? I mean, I mentioned before that in online action games like this, ping may be a big factor. The faster the game, the bigger the need for good ping. How would server structure function on a global game?

In terms of modern games... FFXIV is the only one I can think of, as while data centers are regional, they do allow you to make characters in any region and thus NA and EU players could play in the Japanese datacenter for example. They have also announced that they are working on making cross data center play possible. There is a way to do it, but it is expensive and uses modern networking techniques which would allow for low latency connections across the world.

In terms of older games, I believe PSO1 on the dreamcast allowed for NA, EU, and JP players to play together. They had the word select system to deal with the language barrier.

Quoting something I wrote in another thread:

In FFXIV there are currently data centers in North America, Europe, and Japan. These data centers are separate and currently do not, under general circumstances, transfer data or otherwise communicate with one another. For cross data center to be a thing, there would need to essentially be a cross region communication data center in each region that communicates with the nearest regional data center while syncing up with the other cross region communication data centers.

So say this was set up and someone in North America wanted to play with a friend in Japan. The regional data center in North America would be transferring data to and from the cross region communication data center which is constantly syncing data between it and the other cross region communication data center, like the cross region communication data center in Japan that is communicating with the Japanese regional data center. It's an incredibly modern networking method and a very expensive one to implement. However, it is possible to have low latency long distance communication between two distant legions.

I did my best to try to explain it. Networking isn't my forte, it is a friend's forte and I am trying my best in trying to replicate his explanation on how it could be possible. From my probably flawed understanding, it requires a decent deal of redundancy which is done through syncing servers in each region. Redundancy is important in networking as it allows a network to continue functioning even if part of it breaks; in this case it allows for players to directly communicate with a server in their region rather than a server in a foreign region.

Again, networking is not my forte, I am more of a back end system programming type of person. So do take my explanations with a grain of salt as I may be missing something somewhere.

@Archetype-Luna Thanks for the response. I did understand it. And from that understanding, I really doubt Sega would undertake such a huge task for this game.... Then again, it's Sega and maybe some of that old flame that brought us the super early online console named Dreamcast could resurface again. Still, I see such things working on slower games.

A game like FFXIV could work because of it's slower paced combat full of cool downs over cool downs. But a game like PSO2 would require everyone to have rather good ping to be viable. Anything over 200 ms is already bordering on the unplayable, and that's usually what I believe the better connections from NA players to JP PSO2 may be getting right now without looking for third party solutions. Perhaps some tech not too different from VPN could work here to speed up things, and still the player's own ISP should be quite fast to handle it.

@ZorokiHanuke In regards to latency, what I described would allow for low latency cross region play. Not even in FFXIV would that 200+ ms latency fly as weaving in off globals is incredibly important in DPS output. Being able to double weave off globals is incredibly vital to a number of classes. So if FFXIV wants to do cross region play, they need low latency like PSO2 as well.

If Isao Okawa was still around, I'd actually think Sega would try to do this. That man was an absolute legend. He personally paid one year worth of internet for all Japanese dreamcasts.

I'd imagine that eventually Sega would want to do this. Like they eventually would want to modernize their networking, and I do believe it would make managing the game easier after it is done. I am hoping that FFXIV attempting this may push them into doing out out of competition.

@Archetype-Luna I of course never met Mr Okawa, but I actually miss the man. I mean, despite all the flak between JP HQ and the other regional offices, Mr. Okawa had a good vision for the company that I don't think others could match. Then there's also Yuji Naka's departure from Sega to work at Square Enix, which no doubt reduced Sega's fantasy design prowess. I mean, say what anyone wants to say about Mr. Naka, but he has talent and also has a great vision of what a fantasy video game should be.

I'm sure if we had those two on board for PSO2 and NG, we'd be having a much different and most likely more immersive game that didn't have to strike too much into nostalgia to be a success.

They already said they're exist side by side and even OG PSO2 will relieve a graphical overhaul. You aren't losing anything overall and they're still letting you carry over all the cosmetics.

Essentially its a new MMO and everyone will start fresh skill/money wise.