NEW GENESIS

@Zenny Any reason to hate a developer these days. But you can thank companies like EA and Activision for that, as they created the atmosphere. Bethesda for a time tried taking up that mantle of destroyer that EA and Activision carried, but it cut into their bottom line too much.

Reasonable disdain is one thing, blind hatred for all companies that seek to make a profit are another. Everyone needs to make money, or nobody can pay the bills. It's when a few companies do scummy things, it affects the many, if not all. The old saying, a bad apple spoils the bunch, comes to mind here. It seems like any perceived wrongdoing, without evidence of it being a clear one, will lead to people immediately crying foul.

I am so lost......lol!

@RainGnyu

People are taking the piss out at Sega for releasing PSO2 instead of just releasing NG that and AC, even though its transferable along with whatever else.

I'm extremely upset by the way this is being handled. Sega players in NA is getting the shaft yet again.

Cash in on the desire to play a game that should have been released in the west in 2013 or 14 at the latest in 2019, bring all the money in from the NA players, remove almost all of the current content just to keep cash flowing in from the old game, and then slap us in the face AGAIN by telling us that the things we just bought are quite literally obsolete in the newly announced expansion.

Tired of sega. Never buying another thing from sega again. I implore others to realize this as well. Back on PSO1, we of North America got shafted by unreleased items that were available in japan (Red Ring, Parasitic Gene Flow, etc) and they were never released on official NA servers. Oh, and back then, we actually paid for the game, AND all the updates, AND the right to actually play it online, and it only worked for that game. BS.

I implore you, Sega, to not be a bunch of pigs about this.

Also, I'll probably not be buying or playing any sega products again unless this is changed. I implore other consumers to do so as well.

And to all of you saying we're taking the piss, you're just lay-down fools. It'd be different if you could carry over or if they called PSO3 or a new game, and kept the PSO2 servers running for a while longer, but everything about this game and the way it was handled so far has been BS.

@Zenny said in NEW GENESIS:

@Anarchy-Marine Also that people jump to conclusions way too fast without enough information.

Yeah, no. Sega has continually shafted us in the non-JP market since the end of PSOBB. Looking to the past teaches us that if the consumers just take it as it is given, nothing changes and profits become larger and larger for less and less quantity and quality.

Honestly.... I think the community really needs to chill regarding New Genesis. I can definitely understand most of the concerns regarding other threads like the whole SG issue and the mishandling of the Windows 10 launch... but honestly given how they went into detail in the last post regarding thewhole connectivity with New Genesis and the fate of legacy PSO2, I do believe that at this point the community's reaching a point where its practically trying to find "Something" to complain about... for something that is still in development!

No matter what SEGA does no one is gonna be satisfied. Too early to announce for the West? Then I guess we should just wait it out for five to eight years while JP ges New Genesis early! SEGA should have just skipped releasing PSO2 in the West in favour of waiting for New Genesis? Well... then people would just complain that JP players get to carry over a lot of things while we have to start from scratch. The way I see it... the way they are handling New Genesis has a ridiculous amount of generosity not previously seen by SEGA... old game's getting a graphical update? we keep our weapons and cosmetics? them wanting to release it globally around the same time? (itself something that SEGA specified they wanted to do more of...)

PSO2 isn't going anywhere... if it were, than why is JP getting a new class shortly after the announcement of New Genesis? Why is it getting a graphical update AT ALL if they just plan to finish off the game in a year or two? You aren't wasting your time playing PSO2... its not going anywhere just yet.

New Genesis has been in development since AT LEAST 2018 (for some evidence pointing to this... here's a job listing from back in 2018: http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/9226083.html for an unnamed Not-Mobile 'online game' in the 'Phantasy Star franchise'), about a year prior to the Western announcement. Forget NA for a moment... you think for a second that given the popularity of cosmetics on PSO2 and the eight years that JP players got that they are just gonna go 'it doesn't matter'? They made a clear list of things that won't transfer over.... so long as outfits, outerwear, etc aren't in that list we are basically complaining about something that has no specific facts.

@Lorelei-Moira , some fact corrections... SEGA NA isn't even involved with this.

@Lorelei-Moira said in NEW GENESIS:

Also, I'll probably not be buying or playing any sega products again unless this is changed. I implore other consumers to do so as well.

And to all of you saying we're taking the piss, you're just lay-down fools. It'd be different if you could carry over r if they called PSO3 or a new game, and kept the PSO2 servers running for a while longer, but everything about this game and the way it was handled so far has been BS.

Excuse me? ..All of you? I believe I specifically said that. Although you could make the argument NA did not receive every single item the JP version did... so what? Japan laid the groundwork for this franchise not the West if they wanna have a few exclusives that's more than fine with me but apparently this is a game-breaking issue for you.

Trying to implore people to stop doing business at a location because you don't like a product is like trying to steer people away from eating at a particular restaurant because you don't like pasta sauce, not there, just in general. It's rude and immature. None of your things are obsolete they're entirely accessible within PSO2.

Watch who you're calling a fool.

@Leonkh99 said in NEW GENESIS:

Honestly.... I think the community really needs to chill regarding New Genesis

New Genesis has been in development since AT LEAST 2018, about a year prior to the Western announcement. Forget NA for a moment... you think for a second that given the popularity of cosmetics on PSO2 and the eight years that JP players got that they are just gonna go 'it doesn't matter'? They made a clear list of things that won't transfer over.... so long as outfits, outerwear, etc aren't in that list we are basically complaining about something that has no specific facts.

Of course it doesn't matter.

Video game company releases game in home market. Video game company says "Will release in NA soon" Video game company realizes they need money to produce the next game, while they still haven't made good on prior NA release comment Video game company releases trailer of new game People get excited and create buzz, or they piss and moan and have arguments that literally affect nothing because nobody really does anything but talk, and historically talk has never changed or solved anything Video game company releases new game to a influx of money Video game company waits until most whales (players with money who spend it) spend more time on the next version or "Expansion" of the game Video game company shuts down old server and nobody cares, and those who do can't do anything. Sega turns off the servers and laughs all the way to the bank.

At least with cartriges or old physical discs you could play an offline mode. My PSO V1 and V2 discs still work for my Dreamcast.

@Redex wow, way to take it personally. IF I was actually attacking you, I woulda just said your name.

People say that lot. Don't get all high and mighty about saying it last.

Take your self righteous piss elsewhere.

@Lorelei-Moira At least we are keeping stuff we paid money for.... i'd say we have a better deal than those who simply lost everything when Blue Burst and Universe shut down... that is, if you even paid for anything in the game! It is a free to play game after all... nothing is stopping you from simply playing the game as is. New Genesis is a whole new game altogether... it'd be unfair to bring along level and EXP.

Also you are mistaken on the whole history.... Sega of Japan had NO PLANS to release the game in the West after the initial delay. You bring this up as if they went "oh look, we are losing money... lets release it in the West now", Microsoft literally paid for the release to even happen, its just a pure coincidence that this is happening right around now.... it was going to happen whether we got an English version or not.

@Leonkh99 That's what you call "Playing to your fanbase" and it boosts PR more than any new game.

People who played games like PSO1 and PSU (like me, for example, I have almost 60,000 hours from V1 on DC to sega BB and private servers combined of PSO1) and PSU was an overly complicated mess.

But those of us who did also dug our own graves by being excited and then lashing out at sega after they said "NA release Delayed indefinitely" for 6 years and then didn't realize they were probably cashing in on nostalgia and jealousy.

Also, What about all the wasted time on a game that was out in japan for 8 years, and then basically released in the west and almost immediately being used to finance another game? Hell, even World of Warcraft lets you keep you stuff in nearly all of its expansions.

@Leonkh99 Allow me to clarify that SEGA NA here refers to the player base of sega games in the NA market. Apologies for the poor choice of words.

@Lorelei-Moira Circumstances with PSU and PSOBB were different and while one can be skeptic due to the franchise's history... circumstances are completely different. New Genesis was gonna happen with or without the Western version... or would you have preferred that Sega delayed New Genesis worldwide, even in Japan who've had the game for eight years and may be wanting something new therefore piss off THAT fanbase?

You can go all you want about past decisions, but nothing changes the fact that it shows a slight ignorance to the fact that circumstances change over time and that things can change. Quite a lot has happened since that initial delay after all...

@Leonkh99 said in NEW GENESIS:

Honestly.... I think the community really needs to chill regarding New Genesis. I can definitely understand most of the concerns regarding other threads like the whole SG issue and the mishandling of the Windows 10 launch... but honestly given how they went into detail in the last post regarding thewhole connectivity with New Genesis and the fate of legacy PSO2, I do believe that at this point the community's reaching a point where its practically trying to find "Something" to complain about... for something that is still in development!

No matter what SEGA does no one is gonna be satisfied. Too early to announce for the West? Then I guess we should just wait it out for five to eight years while JP ges New Genesis early! SEGA should have just skipped releasing PSO2 in the West in favour of waiting for New Genesis? Well... then people would just complain that JP players get to carry over a lot of things while we have to start from scratch. The way I see it... the way they are handling New Genesis has a ridiculous amount of generosity not previously seen by SEGA...

PSO2 isn't going anywhere... if it were, than why is JP getting a new class shortly after the announcement of New Genesis? Why is it getting a graphical update AT ALL if they just plan to finish off the game in a year or two? You aren't wasting your time playing PSO2... its not going anywhere just yet.

New Genesis has been in development since AT LEAST 2018, about a year prior to the Western announcement. Forget NA for a moment... you think for a second that given the popularity of cosmetics on PSO2 and the eight years that JP players got that they are just gonna go 'it doesn't matter'? They made a clear list of things that won't transfer over.... so long as outfits, outerwear, etc aren't in that list we are basically complaining about something that has no specific facts.

I am not complaining, I just don’t know what going on!? I will love whatever they do until I don’t and when that happens I will just leave and know body will know I left. I will just find another game I enjoy. I never what to takeaway someone else enjoy because of my own personal dissatisfaction. Because on the real.....If it wasn’t for other people’s enjoyment of creating the pixel environment I wouldn’t have Phantasy Star online to enjoy amongst others.

@RainGnyu And this is why you're exactly the person video game companies like.

@Lorelei-Moira said in NEW GENESIS:

@RainGnyu And this is why you're exactly the person video game companies like.

What even is your complaint though? They already said that the paid items like costumes will be transfering over to the new game.... unlike certain past titles.