Guess we all wasted our money on pso2...

@JuggernautGTX where did you find that?

@Fester follow the signs. Microsoft approaches PSO2 team with a new environment that allows them to access the game, manage, and integrate it from a remote location with low latency, it comes to NA finally, and then this new version showcases out of nowhere?

This was the goal the entire time. PSO2NA was literally testing how implementation and execution. I bet this new version was 100% developed in the new environment, which will be another showcase for Microsoft.

PSO2NA's entire purpose is to gather information for how to distriibute it to a global audience, including all the feedback we provide. This new version isn't just SEGA doing their own thing, it is a cooperative effort.

You can be a pessimist all you want, but asking for handouts while maintaining a negative posture will get you nowhere.

This update sounds super confusing. We just waited nearly a decade to finally have our own server, we do now but it's not nearly the full version and roughly around the same time we might have the full version they are instead going to launch some redesign?

1. Is the redesign something MS came up with or is JP doing this too?

2. Will the old version still be an option? I like this game ... I can't say for sure i'm going to enjoy the "redesigned best-in-class experience" ...

@DankNugs9429 said in Guess we all wasted our money on pso2...:

1. Will the old version still be an option? I like this game ... I can't say for sure i'm going to enjoy the "redesigned best-in-class experience" ...

doubt thats gonna be the case - but we'll see

It got announced for both NA and JP (and globally?)

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Guess we all wasted our money on pso2...:

@Fester follow the signs. Microsoft approaches PSO2 team with a new environment that allows them to access the game, manage, and integrate it from a remote location with low latency, it comes to NA finally, and then this new version showcases out of nowhere?

This was the goal the entire time. PSO2NA was literally testing how implementation and execution. I bet this new version was 100% developed in the new environment, which will be another showcase for Microsoft.

PSO2NA's entire purpose is to gather information for how to distriibute it to a global audience, including all the feedback we provide. This new version isn't just SEGA doing their own thing, it is a cooperative effort.

You can be a pessimist all you want, but asking for handouts while maintaining a negative posture will get you nowhere.

You're basically saying that the reasons we have to be hopefull for the future are pure speculations and conjectures.

Meanwhile what they have to factually show us is a broken game with an overly predatory monetization system.

Call me pessimist all you want, but these are the facts, the rest is conjecture.

@Fester well if we want to stick to only facts, it is only predatory to those who LoJack severe impulse control and a strong desire to obtain trinkers that ultimately do nothing to enhance their progress in the game, which is going to be phased into a new version.

Fax

This update sounds super confusing. We just waited nearly a decade to finally have our own server, we do now but it's not nearly the full version and roughly around the same time we might have the full version they are instead going to launch some redesign?

2. Will the old version still be an option? I like this game ... I can't say for sure i'm going to enjoy the "redesigned best-in-class experience" ...

1. This is the mass update that had been teased even on JP's end.

2. We don't know at this point...

They release an announcement trailer: people assume the worst.

They make one small official confirmation while saying they will share more info SOON: people assume the worst.

They say nothing and push ahead working on things: people assume the worst.

Why are we like this?

@ThirdChild-ZKI said in Guess we all wasted our money on pso2...:

They make one small official confirmation while saying they will share more info SOON: people assume the worst.

Why are we like this?

Sega has outright earned that pessimism.

alt text

I book marked this post years ago because I found it so good at detailing their history, up to at least PSO, not even going into PSU- I wish someone could write up that one.

If it's THAT bad, if Sega is somehow that shortsighted, I don't think PSO2 would've been the 8 year success it has been til now.

Granted, I choose to err on the side of optimism generally, but I also see no reason as of yet to be pessimistic for an UPGRADE to an already enjoyable game. Mileage may vary on this based on time and experience, but even in reading this, I would think they'd have learned from past mistakes and wouldn't intend to repeat them, especially after finally bringing PSO2 to the west.

From a purely reasonable standpoint, why bring over PSO2, give themselves extra work by only releasing up to Episode 3, then spending the remainder of the year trying to reach parity with the JP version, only to ultimately say "here's a new game! A brand new, fresh start for EVERYONE that obsoletes all that came before it!"

It's fine to be cautious or even anxious, but we don't need to act as is the sky is falling.

@Vashzaron said in Guess we all wasted our money on pso2...:

@ThirdChild-ZKI said in Guess we all wasted our money on pso2...:

Why are we like this?

Sega has outright earned that pessimism. And this isn't even going into PSU and beyond.

On the assumption that its a separate release... they are doing some things 'right' already. The game's launching simultaneously in Japan and the West as indicated in the announcement and the trailer even shows localization happening as its being developed. Plus, unlike PSOBB and PSU, PSO2 NA is currently managed by SEGA of Japan and the same goes for this title.

@Leonkh99 I would add that Microsoft is using this as a platform to extend their Azure services to cover the complete gaming development. I would wager that this expansion is being developed completely on this new infrastructure rather than on-site and then migrated over.

Thet are trying to attract a global publishing audience to show that an intensive game could be enhanced, all through their packaged program, and distributed world-wide across multiple platforms simultaneously.

Maybe, who knows. I should just say Bill Gates just wants to control our video games and the evil SEGA is enabling their global domination. Next they will build a Disney movie on Azure and launch the Mickey-Star to block the sun and make us pay a subscription to receive sunlight.

@Rao said in Guess we all wasted our money on pso2...:

Xbox just announced a new pso game... New Genesis pso2.

Not new looks more like an upgrade to me. We might even keep what we have from pso2 to pso2ngs. Character data seems about the same and don't forget it said global release meaning it's also going to effect pso2jp as well. If that's true we might all be playing together.

I even seen some Japanese players in pso2na last week.

"To answer the super important question: The PSO2NA team has confirmed you will not be losing your current character, which suggests that this is a complete overhaul to PSO2 instead of shutting down PSO2 and bringing this instead, which is great!"