Guess we all wasted our money on pso2...

A super pleasant surprise turned into a battle of pessimism, that's the Forum Way!

"*If you look too far into the future, you lose sight of what is right in front of you."

We have more pressing matters to address regarding the now and near-future Episodes to catch up to JP. There is a schedule already in place for releasing information about PSO2:NG. Don't make things more miserable for yourselves by automatically assuming the worst case as true.

This OP is the reason I tend to avoid forums lately.

Who's we? I know damn well I for sure got my money's worth.

I also got my moneys worth. Five ragol packs, and I do not regret it.

It is a confirmed EXPANSION for PSO2. They are doing the Blade and Soul thing where they are changing the engine and redoing the game basically. How it will interact with our existing characters and stats IDK. The numbers shown on the trailer are very small compared to our damage now. Might just be placeholder type stuff who knows. I would expect to keep things like cosmetics but as far as actual gear who knows how this will compare to what exists currently.

Have to consider that may be for new players to genesis, of course would be cool to see a level 90 on the other hand for both sides of the spectrum.

It's literally just a graphics update with an expansion for the BASE GAME. It's not a new game, we keep our characters. JP knew about this for a while now.

Lol people are quoting the "yes, your current character matters" tweet way out of context. Keeping your character can mean a slew of different things... it could be as simple keeping the character you designed in the universe... to continue the story they've been a part of and to start this new beginning... they even say more information is to come... maybe stop assuming everything lol. The tweets and youtube descriptions also state 2 different things... wait for clarity before stating facts.

Also big brain analysis, pso2.com doesnt have information on new genesis... it has it's own website...

@Bass-Captain-2 pso2.com is also always behind on posting in game information.

People are really dooming and glooming the hell out of this, when frankly there's zero reason to. Let's look at the facts right now of what Genesis might be, and how it could affect PSO2.

Most likely scenario - This is a major expansion to PSO2 in the vein of something like Cataclysm for WoW. The world it's self is going to be drastically changed, and it's possible the current six episodes of content may no longer be available to play. But your current character will continue as they are with all their gear and stats as you left them prior to the update.

Slightly altered scenario - Like the above scenario, New Genesis is a new expansion and total overhaul of the existing PSO2 structure, but Sega decides to do a major reset to the game's levels and stats to compensate for new players, and for an increasing number creep. Also known as a Stat and Level Squish (which Blizzard has done numerous times in the former, and once in Shadowlands for the latter in WoW). This means that your level numbers and stats are going to go down, but everything around you is going to go down to compensate. Your Final Nemesis shot, which once hit for 1 million damage, is now going to hit for 1 thosuand damage, but will still effectively do the same amount of damage to the enemy. The level cap is also reduced from 95 to 50, and talent trees are adjusted to compensate that so that you don't lose any major abilities or talents, and some are worked into your character's kit rather than having to spend skill points on them.

New Game Scenario - We already know this isn't the case, but let's pretend that New Genesis is a brand spanking new game. Nothing carries over, but you're given the ability to import your existing character's looks, and maybe some titles that you can show off to show you played PSO2, possibly some special cosmetic armor or weapons to go with it, etc. This doesn't affect PSO2 as it is in any meaningful way unless Sega outright says they're shutting down the servers. As we've seen numerous times in the past, however, sequels can exist with their prequel still enjoying a player-base. Destiny to Destiny 2, Guild Wars to Guild Wars 2, Final Fantasy XI to Final Fantasy XIV, and especially Ever Quest to Ever Quest 2. There's zero reason in this scenario that Sega would have any reason to shutter PSO2 so long as the game continued to bring them revenue. It may not get any new content updates in favor of New Genesis, but you can still continue to play it all the same.

The absolute worst case scenario in any of this is you lose some cosmetics - which if that is a concern you have, I'd suggest holding off buying anything until we hear more about New Genesis. But honestly? New Genesis looks friggen incredible, and it's great that Sega is finally giving Phantasy Star the love and attention it deserves for the new generation, and more importantly is showing that it actually does care about the series beyond Japan.

@Bass-Captain-2 said in Guess we all wasted our money on pso2...:

Keeping your character can mean a slew of different things... it could be as simple keeping the character you designed in the universe

that actually made me laugh....duh the question was if our current characters matter in the new update - answer is yes whats the point in "keeping your current character model" that simply makes no sense

"yes your current characters matter - you loose everything and keep your created model 🙂 " i mean lol....ok ok ill just keep the hype up and avoid such comments from now on

@JuggernautGTX lol ok big boy, since you seem to work for sega and have all the answers. Please tell us what does it really mean that your character matters? Remember, your "character mattered" in mass effect 1/2/3... you know where your choices carried over but nothing else did kiddo.

@Bass-Captain-2 said in Guess we all wasted our money on pso2...:

Please tell us what does it really mean that your character matters? Remember, your "character mattered" in mass effect 1/2/3... you know where your choices carried over but nothing else did

wait a second

030a3591-b5ef-4f9e-885d-aa5b418411a5-image.png

uff ya much better....you are right:

SEGA is letting us play their old PSO2 game - rushing content to help us catch up with JP - just to announce a new update and then announce a few weeks later that everything we do means nothing and everything but our character model is being carried over

thats like saying "don't you guys have phones?"

it all makes sense now

(of course not being serious in my reply)

@JuggernautGTX welp that's the argument at hand and that the NA team has a running record of mistranslating pso2 stuff and this could be a prime example of it. Only time will really tell.