DO NOT copy/paste backed up / saved pso2_bin files into a recently deleted/backed up PSO2 in ModifiableWindowsApps

It will break the installation, and throw file errors when MS Store attempts to reset, repair or start the game from an app tile. As well as cause damage to Windows and the Microsoft Store itself.

In addition, every few minutes or so, MS Store will attempt to re-run the program due to it thinking it restored the application, making your life a living hell if you're trying to do anything else on your computer. it will also start causing a feedback loop of the MS Store attempting to download/install/repair the game and will start backing up / re-deleting the game over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Eating up your disk space faster than other issues.

For this reason, I petition SEGA remove the game from the Microsoft store immediately until this issue is resolved.

This game has become flat out dangerous to install.

I'm just thankful I have a download method for reinstalling windows because I linked my License Key to my MS Account.

The worst part of this is, it's not even SEGA's fault. It's Microsoft's for having such a dumb store / DRM service. (Mostly thanks to their automated recovery/update system.) I'm sure steam would've ponied up the money / servers for SEGA if they weren't so focused on getting VR / etc. out.

I'm going to have to take a break from PSO2 because of this.

alt text

I'm glad I could support PSO2 so far though. Unlike me wasting money on Guild Wars 2, TERA and Perfect World International.

more like you found a new way to get a blue screen of death there, for what I can imagine you found a way to make the MS store keep looping until your hardware can't handle and end with a blue screen, MS store is not exactly a good DRM service and doesn't want you to change anything there, that's why everything the store puts in the machine is locked to the user don't touch it.

Okay, I'm going to bite - what would provoke you to do this thing in the first place? The only time you should be dipping into the modifiable folder is if you intend to uninstall the game because it broke. Beyond that, you shouldn't be screwing with that folder period.

@Blade-Syphon my guess is that the game probably nuked itself and they didn't want to redownload the game again.

I have reinstalled the game from a backup twice with no problems. Actually, last time I had to do it was an hour or so ago. I used my pre I-Day backup on my laptop because something decided to delete 50 Gb of the near 70 the game weights at. I just copy the whole thing in, rewriting whatever was left in the folder, and after a small update, I was back in game. No loops, no errors, no fizzling.

OP's post proves not everyone gets lucky with it, but my own experience also proves that in some cases, saving a backup of the whole game can still be a workaround. More when you get the game nuked in a place you don't have an unlimited data connection to restore it.

@ZorokiHanuke I think it depends on if you have manually modified the permissions of the containers that the backup is in versus where you are moving it to. The way it works with MS allowing a developer to use their own launcher is very dependent on permissions and pathing being set up correctly so that the virtualization can do what it needs to. It not being set up correctly is why the game will have to reinstall anytime there is an update to the Windows build or anything with gameservices.

MS really should have held them to the same standards as anyone else that wants to publish on the store rather than just approving it because their "partners".

@John-Paul-RAGE I see. In my case it's just plain copy/paste. Nothing has been changed. No ownership shenanigans either. I just grabbed whatever the client downloaded for me without any outside tools (like tweaker), saved that in a different place, and added a "Break glass in the case of derps" sticker to it.

@ZorokiHanuke

I need to name more of my emergency back up folders with something like that.

@Blade-Syphon With a memory like mine, these tags do work...

@ZorokiHanuke your case probably nothing happened because it was the original files all created in the same time, is different when you throw only 1 file with a different creation data in a directory, normally launchers don't have a problem with those and will just overwrite then but MS store is not like that

After my third lockout from the folder I decided enough was enough and just ran the tweaker install method. Had no issues since. It's really a shame that the average user will likely have this kind of crap happen to them and drive them away from the game altogether. I'm deeply hoping they really did mean steam support for August because that would solves so many issues.

@Jamesmor Considering what's been going on, that may be the case indeed.

@MisterJaySnek said in DO NOT copy/paste backed up / saved pso2_bin files into a recently deleted/backed up PSO2 in ModifiableWindowsApps:

After my third lockout from the folder I decided enough was enough and just ran the tweaker install method. Had no issues since. It's really a shame that the average user will likely have this kind of crap happen to them and drive them away from the game altogether. I'm deeply hoping they really did mean steam support for August because that would solves so many issues.

Tweaker shouldn't need you to login as admin (but in the below link, it says you do need to be), which is why I plan to wait:

https://na.arks-layer.com/tweaker-setup-b.html

If you receive a "permission denied" error in the red text, make sure you're logged in as an administrator.