The Inevitable Player Versus Player (PvP) Suggestion Thread

Since this is a western audience being targeted, there's going to be a lot of people potentially upset at the lack of more PvP options (I, myself, am not very big on PvP. So I couldn't care less.) I'm making this thread in anticipation of these who like PvP a lot more than me, and will give out some suggestions that some might want to give.

Point Capture - Attack and Defense

I'd like to suggest making a point capture PvP Mode where one team goes against another to capture points. When a point is captured, the point becomes locked, and the attacking team has to push to the next point then eventually to a final point where the round ends when it's captured. Once the round ends, the teams are swapped between attack and defense. (IE: The team that was on attack, now goes to defense, and vice versa.

Point Capture - Territory

This type of point capture can last a long time in comparison to the previous suggestion. However, first, I'd like to explain how this works. There are two sets of points close to each team's base, one close to their spawn, and one farther in. In addition, there's one point in the exact middle of the PvP map as well, making 5 points to capture in total. When a point is captured/flipped, time is added to the round/match's timer, extending the amount of time the current round has. Once the timer ends, however, the team with the most points captured wins. (If all points are captured by one team, they also win at that time too.) Unlike the previous mode, points can be captured by the opposing team even if they're already captured by you. When a point that's further from your base is captured by you, the closer points will lock and become unable to be captured until a point closer is captured.

Frontline / War Game / Battlefield

In this PvP Mode, lots of players (48+) compete in an "Alliance" team battle where multiple parties work together to defeat the other factions that are not their own. Each Faction has a set number of players working for them. (IE: 12 v. 12 v. 12, or 32 v. 32 v. 32.) In this mode, players can defeat one another to gain points, while taking away points from the faction that player was from. Certain objectives will appear from time to time (IE: Emergency Code Destroy) where you can destroy PvE targets to gain a mass amount of points for your faction. When the maximum amount of points is reached (IE: 1200/1200) for a faction, the faction wins. Or, if time runs out, the faction with the most points wins. If a draw between two factions occurs, they are tied for that place. IE: If two factions have the same amount of points in first place, both factions get first place rewards. Leaving this mode early should incur a penalty where you cannot rejoin matching for a set period of time. (IE: 30 minutes.)

This specific type of PvP Mode (below), I'm definitely not into. Open World PvP / Forced PvP was never my liking. So having this as a setting that's off by default would make more sense.

Emergency Code: Abyss Invasion

This Emergency Code's color would be red. Invading Players are synced down to the level of the defending player's.

In this, players would be able to invade other player's arks missions (Exploration mode is exempt, as it is an open mode where multiple players are present.) A setting when making the arks mission will be available to allow players to invade your arks mission and potentially defeat you for PvP Currency/etc. By default, the Invasion option will be off so that players can still enjoy the game in peace. The invading player will be teleported to the starting point, and the map/area transition will be locked until the player invading is defeated or the defending player is defeated by the invader.

Rewards

Players could expect rewards, such as titles (For doing certain things in PvP) and a special PvP Currency. The PvP currency could be used to buy special camo-only items in the form of outfits and weapon camos. (Stats for the items would be 1 or nothing at all, meaning they're specifically meant for camo.)

A special type of "Season" Rank Rewards can also be given out. For attaining and holding a rank above a certain number, players would be given a special Season Camo item or mag evolution. The item would not be obtainable again unless the season-specific rewards are re-rotated through. Players must hold the rank during the entire season until the season ends.

I would like to see more PvP modes like these. The thing I liked about PvP is that you can't come in with unfair advatages. You don't get to use classes or their skills in PvP. It's all based on the weapons you can pick up in the field while collecting points. One of the only good things about the PvP shop was some of the camos you can get through Ranked scratch and the exchange shop.

I'm not sure how the last one will really work as you can only enter PvP through shared ship battle blocks. You get put onto random teams once you enter into matchmaking. So they will have to do a bit of alterations in the game to make Alliance based PvP possible. The down side I feel to PvP is once you get the rewards you wanted from Scratches or the shop you have zero incentive to go back and play anymore.

@The-Question said in The Inevitable Player Versus Player (PvP) Suggestion Thread:

The down side I feel to PvP is once you get the rewards you wanted from Scratches or the shop you have zero incentive to go back and play anymore.

I added a bit under the Rewards section with what FFXIV does.

@coldreactive said in The Inevitable Player Versus Player (PvP) Suggestion Thread:

In this, players would be able to invade other player's arks missions (Exploration mode is exempt, as it is an open mode where multiple players are present.) A setting when making the arks mission will be available to allow players to invade your arks mission and potentially defeat you for PvP Currency/etc. By default, the Invasion option will be off so that players can still enjoy the game in peace. The invading player will be teleported to the starting point, and the map/area transition will be locked until the player invading is defeated or the defending player is defeated by the invader.

We dark souls now bois

PVP contradicts the spirit of the game. Humanity and all the races of the cosmos have united in the fight against darkness, and not to kill each other. Developers can organize a sports arena and various competitions, but killing other players is bad. Even on earth, you will be sent to prison for murder, and here in PSO2 we have an advanced society, not psychopaths and maniacs. Maybe you want to be allowed to beat and rape other players? Then we get a semblance of GTA, but even more cruel. I am against PVP, insults to players and other destructive behavior.

Being completely honest, the lack of PVP (and certain other end-game tendencies in a lot of other MMOs) is part of why I like this game.

I've never had an interest in PVP and generally when it comes to battle parts of games, prefer to play more casually. I've seen too many nice vanity things get locked to modes like this (and most people I know who are interested in these modes could care less about these items) and I'd be a bit discouraged to see it ingame.

There's so many games that already have PVP, I think the idea that every single one needs to have it is a bit silly and it's part of why so many games fall into the same cliches over breaking the mold a bit.

@Princesse-Jen said in The Inevitable Player Versus Player (PvP) Suggestion Thread:

Being completely honest, the lack of PVP (and certain other end-game tendencies in a lot of other MMOs) is part of why I like this game. I've never had an interest in PVP

As I said in the OP, I'm not into PvP. I once made a thread on a forum dedicated to MMORPG discussions a "Big PvP Category List," which I mainly used to avoid PvP games.

@Vundar9115 said in The Inevitable Player Versus Player (PvP) Suggestion Thread:

PVP contradicts the spirit of the game. Humanity and all the races of the cosmos have united in the fight against darkness, and not to kill each other. Developers can organize a sports arena and various competitions, but killing other players is bad. Even on earth, you will be sent to prison for murder, and here in PSO2 we have an advanced society, not psychopaths and maniacs. Maybe you want to be allowed to beat and rape other players? Then we get a semblance of GTA, but even more cruel. I am against PVP, insults to players and other destructive behavior.

I don't even...

Wow, that's a series of fallacies that I'm not even sure where to begin with so I think I'll just let that post ride and bookmark it as a favorite.

Suffice it to say that there could be back story to PvP, like the attackers are compromised by darkers/falzspawn/SEED/whatever, so that the MURDER vibes are avoided.

As I told you in the chat message I replies to @Rantious, I don't like PvP, I in fact actually loathe it. But I wanted to make sure people who actually come here at a later time asking for this PvP content get a proper suggestion thread with the appropriate explanation as to what PvP Modes other games have, rather than people just simply making posts like,

We should have more PvP modes.

or...

We should have point capture PvP.

And not explain anything as to what PvP modes they want, or explain what each PvP Mode entails. In the west, free to play communities tend to be really lazy in their wording.

PSO2 does already have PVP in the form of Battle Mode which is treated more like a competition and a separate mode from the rest of the game.

um... pso2 does have pvp............... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7CIk7Ps0oA

there are some good suggestions in the OP, as long as you can opt out of the Invasion one, kinda like Dying light you can turn off the mode that is like that

@Claude said in The Inevitable Player Versus Player (PvP) Suggestion Thread:

um... pso2 does have pvp............... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7CIk7Ps0oA

But not with any of the enhancements as described by OP.