Gold Vol Dragon's undodgeable Air Fireball

Can someone explain to me how this big "eff-you" insta-kill fireball is supposed to be dealt with? I just fought (and failed) at fighting a duo boss fight of the Rare versions of Vol Dragon and Catredran, and while twice while trying to whittle down their absolutely massive HP pools, Gold Vol Dragon decides to fly up into the air, perfectly track me for 10-15 seconds and then drop a huge aerial fireball on me.

Is this just the game's messed up way of saying, "You're taking too long, so just die"?

Is there even any way to dodge this thing? I dodged the initial impact blast on the second aerial fireball, but when the i-frames ended, the blast still killed me.

Hunter main or Hunter subclass, put points into guard stance, massive hunter, max automate, points in iron will - Unkillable. Also just play wirelance and spam Fulcrum Swing until you are above them, untouchable braindead victory.

@CosmicDiva So basically, if you're playing any other Class, you're screwed.

I think you can avoid it if you run underneath him at the right time? I forget.

The real strategy is never to let him get to that stage. Destroy his tail crystal to reset his power-up state.

Any class that uses the fade dodge (Force Techter, etc.) has more i-frames than classes that don't. (A lot more actually.)

Otherwise smashing his tail will remove his gold armor.

@Ilúvatar said in Gold Vol Dragon's undodgeable Air Fireball:

I think you can avoid it if you run underneath him at the right time? I forget.

The real strategy is never to let him get to that stage. Destroy his tail crystal to reset his power-up state.

This. If you are standing directly beneath him, you won't get hit. Also, his face can be "broken" multiple times, so after breaking the tail, you can actually get in him a loop where he is immobile if you do enough damage to his face while he tries to "regrow" the tail crystal.

@AndrlCh Thank you. This is the kind of information that needs to be widespread and common knowledge.

Though, that'd be a bit more difficult given the Secret Stage's layout and the fact that the Catredran was constantly trying to drill a hole under me.

Still, thank you for the much-needed advice.

@LiquidSencha said in Gold Vol Dragon's undodgeable Air Fireball:

Can someone explain to me how this big "eff-you" insta-kill fireball is supposed to be dealt with? I just fought (and failed) at fighting a duo boss fight of the Rare versions of Vol Dragon and Catredran, and while twice while trying to whittle down their absolutely massive HP pools, Gold Vol Dragon decides to fly up into the air, perfectly track me for 10-15 seconds and then drop a huge aerial fireball on me.

Is this just the game's messed up way of saying, "You're taking too long, so just die"?

Is there even any way to dodge this thing? I dodged the initial impact blast on the second aerial fireball, but when the i-frames ended, the blast still killed me.

It is dodge-able also if you break the tail, Vol Dragon will go back to normal.