Did miss something?

@Ranmaru then I bet you are unaware that Sega even bought Atlus some years ago

@Jamesmor Yes, this is true. Thank you for letting me know. That is interesting.

@Redex Sega main market is Japan, their focus is always being there is only in recent years that they started to focus in the market outside of Japan and as I stated before Sega has tons of IPs and some are starting to become pretty popular in the west market like Valkyria Chronicles series and others that are becoming popular again like Yakuza series to the point that Sega also publishes games from smaller western studios too

@Jamesmor

By recent do you mean the 80's? ..Not disagreeing with what you're saying regarding the rest/game stuff.

@Redex no I mean after 2010, before that Sega stopped put many resources to the west market, that started when the Dreamcast failed

@Jamesmor

Ahh.. ok so you mean ' its only in recent years that they started to focus in the market outside of Japan ..AGAIN." rather.

Genesis was quite popular here over the years.

@DragonGod-Dante said in Did miss something?:

I'm curious why people have faith in Sega of all companies I mean did everyone collectively forget what they've done to their own ips?

You mean like the ones that after over a decade are finally getting games again like Panzer Dragoon, Alex Kidd and Streets of Rage? Honestly I personally consider that a "too little too late" sort of thing but those games do exist. Also there's the franchises that have kept going for at least a decade, if not longer like Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles and after Sega bought Atlus, the main MegaTen series and Persona.

Plus while it's not Sega, Yuji Naka's over at Square Enix making a new game with that seems to harken back to Sega's glory days and I for one am looking forward to it.

in all honesty...every person on earth hates on at least one company out there....theres no company who is not bein hated by either a group or an army of people...look at flizzard (writing it like this on purpose) a company once being loved is now the biggest meme on the internet...or rito - their poster game is being loved but the company being hated by so many....literally every player has cursed the company at least once for "being shitty"...people are not playing because they have much faith in the companies...they love the different franchises the companies develope....even the worst companies out there wouldn be able to ruin my love to the pso franchise...unless its being developed to a point where you are unable to call it a true phantasy star online

@JuggernautGTX Rito? What do the bird people from Zelda or Rita Repula's brother have to do with anything?

You mean Riot Games? Riot's been owned by Tencent since 2011, of course people hate it. They also have minority shares in both ActiBlizz (5%) and Epic (40%) and were directly involved with the ActiBlizz/Viviendi split that ruined Blizzard. Expect future Platinumgames titles to go downhill too as Tencent is investing in them.

SEGA isn't the worst company out there, but it's not completely innocent or smart either. I applaud them for how they treat the JP server (though it's not by any means perfect), but their treatment of NA is why multiple players have left. Funny, because I even skimmed this post and noticed another individual who mentioned problems here.

This thread is completely fine, don't try to minimod lmao.

Because, outside of Sonic, Sega's treated me pretty damned well over the years?

Has the company had some ups and downs? Absolutely, what company hasn't. But compared to some of the other big names on the market, it's ups and downs haven't been as extreme (Sonic notwithstanding, but that's something else entirely). In the grand scheme of things, having something as inconsequential as cosmetics being one of the "biggest" issues with PSO2 is pretty damned low on the totem poll (and no, sorry kids, the install isn't a Sega issue, it's a Windows Store issue, blame Microsoft, not Sega on that one).

You really have to look at the grand scheme of things when it comes to how Sega's operating. As others have said, their main market has always been in the east, they've never really seen the western audiences as that huge of a market until recently, when they're taking some fairly significant risks to bring over IPs that, traditionally, have not done super well over here. I love Phantasy Star, it's one of my favorite JRPG series, but I'm not going to sit here and lie about it gaining the same steam and traction as Final Fantasy did. On that same page, it took Dragon Quest decades to finally get the recognition it deserved as well, all because it too was living in the shadow of a series that has progressively become less about the video game aspect, and more about the pretty pictures and graphics, so is it really all that surprising that the Phantasy Star IP was more or less abandoned in the west? Dragon Quest nearly was as well, and if not for the risk SE took to revitalize it on the DS with the trio of remakes, chances are we probably would have stopped getting games localized in the series after VIII.

But developers are starting to take leaps of faith into the west to revitalize old franchises, and Sega's one of them. Considering we're getting the entirity of PSO2's content before NG next year, to say nothing about New Genesis being a world wide, global launch of a new Phantasy Star game - something I never thought I'd ever be able to see or say again - is pretty telling that Sega is making some pretty signfiicant strides to try to open up their markets back to the west.

As others have said as well, revitalizing old franchises like Streets of Rage, Alex Kidd, and ESPECIALLY Panzer Dragoon, as well as releasing the phenomenal Sega Genesis Mini, all shows that Sega is definitely trying to get back to how they used to be. Just because one franchise in Sega's arsenal is going down the crapper doesn't mean that the rest are, and let's also not pretend what's happening to Sonic isn't also happening to Mario, or are we going to sit here and say with a straight face that Orgami King is a good game?

As a whole Sega does have more work to go, but over the past two years they've shown significant improvement in both handling their western releases of games, as well as treating their old IPs with the respect they deserve. So yes, I have faith in Sega continuing to keep on the path they're on, because as of right now, they're showing me no reason to believe otherwise.

well pso2 doesn jus need an overhaul in graphics but also an overhaul in its soul...getting back to its "old ways" but improving in its game mechanics (wich it does do as we could see in the trailer) its new genesis afterall a damn action rpg...not phasion online 2.0....i mean its fun to carry over a zillion of fashion but then again....the more i think of it the more i hate the idea of this...they are kinda being "forced" to do this now cause of their pso2-pso2ng character sharing kinda thing and hundrets of ppl waiting with their pitchforks and torches if they screw this up....but i would have loved if they just cut the cord and make it pso3 for gods sake....give guys who wanna spend stuff their premium pass and some other convenient things they could spend money on (like idk....basically the same ac shop as we already have with some changes to it....just low impact stuff in it but highly conveniant stuff wich would even attract f2p alot)....remove SG and make AC items tradeable (including premium pass)...just get far away from the abomination of what pso2 became....basically -piep- haven....refreshing costumization is ok but pso2 is too much for what its supposed to be...maybe i am just getting old and the "game industry" has no other ways in making money "but fashion" but idk....i believe there are some die hard pso fans out there who wouldn give a crap if pso3 (pso2ng) wouldn be another -piep- haven...i play a female character myself and the only stuff im being asked by randoms if im a woman...like fuk off its a game not a dating site

@Blade-Syphon said in Did miss something?:

having something as inconsequential as cosmetics

cosmetics

inconsequential

I mean it's only the game's primary source of income, one of the game's main selling points and something tons of people care a great deal about but sure, inconsequential.

No what's inconsequential are the translation issues which are slowly getting patched up in spite of how low of a priority they should be, it's not like it takes that much effort for them to do it though.

I love Phantasy Star, it's one of my favorite JRPG series, but I'm not going to sit here and lie about it gaining the same steam and traction as Final Fantasy did. On that same page, it took Dragon Quest decades to finally get the recognition it deserved as well, all because it too was living in the shadow of a series that has progressively become less about the video game aspect, and more about the pretty pictures and graphics, so is it really all that surprising that the Phantasy Star IP was more or less abandoned in the west? Dragon Quest nearly was as well, and if not for the risk SE took to revitalize it on the DS with the trio of remakes, chances are we probably would have stopped getting games localized in the series after VIII.

PSO was actually incredibly popular around the world, it was even one of the influences for .Hack// (among other MMOs). Sega screwed it up though and that's a big reason as to why PSU was never as popular as PSO (especially when combined with the fact they screwed up PSU and AotI was too little, too late). PSO2 was supposed to be a "redemption arc" and for Japan, it certainly was. As for the rest of the world, only time will tell at this point.

Considering we're getting the entirity of PSO2's content before NG next year, to say nothing about New Genesis being a world wide, global launch of a new Phantasy Star game - something I never thought I'd ever be able to see or say again - is pretty telling that Sega is making some pretty signfiicant strides to try to open up their markets back to the west.

Except that was all Microsoft. If it wasn't for Microsoft, this would have never happened.