The biggest problem in PSO2 so far... Communication

A website post would greatly help... cause most players are currently under the impression that the feedback isn’t being heard. It’s been getting worse among the community

@SleepingCbrx said in The biggest problem in PSO2 so far... Communication:

A website post would greatly help... cause most players are currently under the impression that the feedback isn’t being heard. It’s been getting worse among the community

Seriously? So, perhaps are you are un-aware of the Discord that they have, The twitter feed? The Facebook page? I'm pretty sure that they have other media and social outlets as well, This is starting to sound like that whole business with ship 04 all over again. Players crying because , they wanted Specifics, not the "little things that were being worked on". It's always a gross sense of instant gratification. Perhaps, you might say that it's not, Well before you even dive into that notion, I digress- I can give several , If not HUNDREDS of reasons why it is so. The thing is, all of them are going to be denied. Sound familiar?

@DDDDLife said in The biggest problem in PSO2 so far... Communication:

Seriously? So, perhaps are you are un-aware of the Discord that they have

There's an official discord server? I'm unaware of that. Where is that linked on the website, and does it provide more communication than the rare tweet replies to individuals?

The Phantasy Star Fleet discord is not run by SEGA. There is no official PSO2 discord for a multitude of reasons, I imagine.

34af8a07-0a89-40a8-9e7f-d33ebd099a50-image.png

(excuse my poor english)

so i have sent in this...i didn know who to address so i just used "pso2 na team" as a name my personal opinion: it would be nice to have some sort of "anchor" (as in a community manager) who lists and explains if and how they are dealing (or why not) with the hot topics of the community - not only posted in one of the 1000 twitter threads but for everyone to see on the official page

@JuggernautGTX , what you are suggesting is basically what we have. The actual game is managed entirely by SEGA of Japan who have no experience in dealing with Western players and as a result hired a separate company, ESTsoft, to be the "Community Team". ESTsoft provides the GMs, Social Media, Customer Support and so on while SEGA of Japan runs the game's server, develops content, creates patches.

With this setup, any sort of transparency to the degree you are asking may be difficult unfortunately. When a suggestion is passed through or a customer support ticket which they can't deal with (e.g bugs with the game client, server related things like lost items, etc) is submitted, these have to be translated and passed over to SEGA of Japan's dev team after which.... it becomes SEGA of Japan's job to deal with and ESTsoft is not kept in the knowhow of what ends up going behind the scenes most likely.

So as far as the people who are responsible with communicating with us know... there is no knowledge on how the issues will be dealt with, which issues are receiving more priority, etc.

Honestly, PSO2's communication issue really makes me appreciate FFXIV's level of communication. Those live letters go a long way.

While not an MMO, Monster Hunter World has a similar thing with their Dev Diaries, which showcases upcoming content. Like if Sega could do something like that, it would be great.

However I feel like it is unlikely that we will get anything of the sort given Sega's record. If we do, it won't be until after the content gap is greatly closed.

@Archetype-Luna said in The biggest problem in PSO2 so far... Communication:

Honestly, PSO2's communication issue really makes me appreciate FFXIV's level of communication. Those live letters go a long way.

While not an MMO, Monster Hunter World has a similar thing with their Dev Diaries, which showcases upcoming content. Like if Sega could do something like that, it would be great.

However I feel like it is unlikely that we will get anything of the sort given Sega's record. If we do, it won't be until after the content gap is greatly closed.

Stop slandering! They have responded with a notice of a more appropriate announcement to come in the near future.

@Archetype-Luna Other than FFXIV live letters, if there is a serious issues brewing in the community, the devs will address the community on the forums. YoshiP the game's producer has made many post addressing issues with the community, some although did not turn out the way the community wanted, but by explaining himself it soothed most of the people that were readying their pitchforks. I remember there was a riot on the forums when Viera and Hrothgar were gender-locked but he explained why and the limited development time they had when they decided to add new race for the expansion which originally may not have new races. Recently he also posted an apology for the delay of the patch due to COVID-19. The only thing we get here is "we will pass the message on" and never really hear any replies from devs.

On JP PSO2, they have a general roadmap that includes all the past major patches http://pso2.jp/players/about/roadmap/future/ I guess this is comparable to what NA released, a very general roadmap that doesn't contain much. But if you click on each banner like the current one http://pso2.jp/players/update/20200708/ they have much more specific on what is new and 1 to 2 week advance on what is upcoming. Each of these individual update pages last 1-2 month and is updated pretty much weekly adding new information, whether its adding new tabs or updating old ones. They also hold PSO2 station, which is equivalent to FFXIV's live letter that typically contain special phrases for you to type in game to recieve gifts - here is the last one's recap http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-station-plus-7-recap/ or if you actually want to watch it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq07Ij0eShs

EDIT: and btw I'm not asking for NA to do this, just more communication than now would be better

@RainGnyu said in The biggest problem in PSO2 so far... Communication:

@Archetype-Luna said in The biggest problem in PSO2 so far... Communication:

Stop slandering! They have responded with a notice of a more appropriate announcement to come in the near future.

How am I slandering? This legitimate criticism. What happened to PSO1 and PSU western servers is public knowledge. Anyone can look it up and learn how poorly those games were managed in the west due to mismanagement and a lack of communication with the JP team who ultimately made the final decisions for the NA servers.

Announcements here come from the support team relaying information from Sega in Japan. Due to that, the information that the support team can share is often restricted and can't come anywhere near as fast nor directly as they can in games like FFXIV where the developers directly communicate with multiple regions.

On JP, their equivalent of what I am describing (with FFXIV's Live Letters and MHW's Dev Diaries) is PSO2 Station, but that is limited to the JP version.

So again, I am not slandering, I am making legitimate criticism.

@HarmlessSyan Yeah, I don't think NA will be able to have anything like PSO2 Station unless the the patch gap gets to the point where they are on the same match for at least part of a patch's lifespan. Even then, that would require either getting another team to do an English version or get real time translators. I guess they could also record it and add in subtitles or a voice translation post editing.

Still, I don't see that as being too likely. I would love to be proven wrong, but, again, I still remember PSO1 and PSU.

You guys make the smallest thing seem life threatening. This is Pso2 not Psu or Pso1. For your information Pso1 did great in the US and is the reason why so many (including yourself) people play Pso2 NA today. Don’t you guys have anything else better to do than bash a game in the attempt to be the savior of it.

Stop with the look-at-me, savior bit. Like I have said before, you guys will find anything and everything to bash a game. What are your credentials at being a certified game critic other than your personal experience and opinion?

@RainGnyu

I believe whenever anyone brings up "PSO1's Failure", what they really mean is the lack of acknowledgement the Western community had around the Gamecube release and the mishandling of PSO on Xbox and Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst.

With PSO on Gamecube, SEGA rarely addressed complaints from Western players. With PSO on Xbox, the winter event was left running for several months, nearly half a year.

Than there was PSO Blue Burst, the PC port which brought with it things the console versions were lacking such as bug fixes, patch updates, server-side saving but which also begun the tradition of splitting the servers into Japanese servers and International servers with each version receiving their own updates. The International servers were several updates behind the Japanese version and was prone to many more problems that weren't present with the Japanese version.

Some of us have not even given the game a year before attaching issues of the past to the present. The NA gaming culture (My personal opinion) has developed a habit of looking For the bad before letting the good manifest. Some of us have conditions themselves to hunt for what is wrong rather than amplify what is right.

I don’t think they realize their negative forecast is taking away the nostalgia and anticipation.

@RainGnyu People have the right to voice their opinions, thus the reasoning behind these forums. If the opinion is shared by the majority, then proper action can be taken, before the problem becomes exacerbated by lack of attention and action. Look at Fallout 76 for instance. Bethesda during the first year the game was released, practically ignored feedback, until player numbers fell far enough, that they had to listen. That's not to say PSO2 is anywhere near that level of bad marks on a game, but if it ever did go that far, with those issues never being addressed, you'd see the same player fall off. The game survived eight years in Japan, but even in those markets, people over seas had complaints of their own that got addressed, thus the games longevity.

You have no right to tell people to stop, you can ask sure, but further than that, and you will likely find yourself booted from these forums by a GM. That is a double edged sword that would also effect anyone that would go past valid criticism, into personal attacks. And with you, you are on that thin line between the two yourself. Should players that are upset about their perceived issues game wise tone it back a bit? Perhaps, but never should the be silenced about them, and all I'm seeing from you is the intent of silencing anyone, with any criticism, valid or otherwise. And that I don't agree with.