Game running hot?

Not really sure how to describe the issue, but essentially the game is running at about 900MB of memory at a time which is 3x more than it is running on my husband's computer. It sometimes causes the game to have incredibly heavy lag and sometimes even crash (not even just the game, but my computer entirely).

Repairing halved it temporarily, but just playing for a couple of hours had it shot right back up. Anyone know what could be the issue?

My personal quarters:

alt text

A random low populated block on ship 3:

alt text

Block 1 on Ship 3 near all of the players (after waiting for them to load in):

alt text

It seems that the game jumps in memory usage whenever a player starts animating / running. (About 10-20 MB per running / moving player.)

That much RAM shouldn't be an issue on a modern system. Are you playing the game using a very old computer? And when the game crashes your entire system, do you get an error message? Blue screen? Is there a trace of the crash in the Event Viewer? What if you analyze the crash dump using something like WhoCrashed?

The crash may not be RAM-related.

@Dri4974 It's not that old at all. I've had things run more that don't have that issue, but everywhere I'm reading says that PSO2 shouldn't be taking more than 500MB Memory anyway. PSO2 itself is an old game and I've been able to play the game fine for ages. I've only had issues since around the Ship 2 crash.

I get no error message-- just a Blue Screen saying my computer ran into a problem and it needs to restart. No idea how to view the Event Viewer.

@Princesse-Jen said in Game running hot?:

@Dri4974 It's not that old at all. I've had things run more that don't have that issue, but everywhere I'm reading says that PSO2 shouldn't be taking more than 500MB Memory anyway. PSO2 itself is an old game and I've been able to play the game fine for ages. I've only had issues since around the Ship 2 crash.

I get no error message-- just a Blue Screen saying my computer ran into a problem and it needs to restart. No idea how to view the Event Viewer.

Old PSO2 didn't take as much RAM because it was a 32bit process.

Not only are we on a 64bit version, but we're also running the latest graphics update. 1GB of RAM use isn't that unusual in a lobby, as was pointed out above.

In your Windows search bar, type Event Viewer.

Then click around and scroll down until you can find the error message(s) that happened last time you crashed. Those will help inform what your issue is.

Also, if a flash of red occurs as / right before your system crashes, it could be a GPU problem too.