Managing an Alliance is a nightmare. (A leader's POV)

If you want to set up MPA's for UQ's i just recommend making mock mpas in forest beforhand. The easiest way this works is have one just open a room with a PW and alliance tag set so only your guys can join and then let it fill up naturally. If one MPA is full, tell someone to make a second one, and so on. Once the UQ starts you just have to reassemble quickly, which shouldn't be the problem.

I feel like you are overdoing it a little bit, but each to their own i guess. There isn't too much functionality available in terms of alliances it's pretty much just a shared chat really and some side benefits like the alliance ship. 8 year old game etc etc. Can't see this being high on a priority list, as almost every game these days strays further away from having socialization perks in their games (which is a damn shame), but some core functionality would be nice i suppose.

@Macmaxi Not sure how I am overdoing anything. The game has very unique features and is fun to play. That being said, the Alliance system is sub par when compared to pretty much every other game out there. I am simply venting my frustrations as a leader about a feature of the game that makes it difficult for me. Certain things just seem like a must when it comes to guild systems in MMOs.

The alliance system is a dumpster fire. Wish we had any indication in game of the last time someone logged in. It is highly frustrating to see that Sega seems to want alliances to be full of inactives. Quickest way to watch an alliance die is to have no way to manage it. Thanks Sega.

Please fix this trash. Thanks.

@Bananas There was a collaboration done a while ago, https://forum.pso2.com/topic/3418/alliance-overhaul-needed-collaboration?_=1598497789118 .

It feels like there is not going to be any positive change in this game when it comes to alliance. Maybe in NGS, but as far as all the post I have been on (really pushing for alliance changes) it is the one area I feel is just completely ignored. It's the unwanted child of PSO.

I hope for changes, but I started losing faith in seeing any coming.

Edit: I highly recommend any Alliance leader to either use their Clan/Alliance built website, or Discord as a way to manage clan activities, events, news, etc. If you need any help let me know. My discord setup has been working fantastically. Still, sucks I have to use an outside source for the in game functions missing.

@ERICK001BC said in Managing an Alliance is a nightmare. (A leader's POV):

@Bananas There was a collaboration done a while ago, https://forum.pso2.com/topic/3418/alliance-overhaul-needed-collaboration?_=1598497789118 .

It feels like there is not going to be any positive change in this game when it comes to alliance. Maybe in NGS, but as far as all the post I have been on (really pushing for alliance changes) it is the one area I feel is just completely ignored. It's the unwanted child of PSO.

Edit: I highly recommend any Alliance leader to either use their Clan/Alliance built website, or Discord as a way to manage clan activities, events, news, etc. If you need any help let me know. My discord setup has been working fantastically. Still, sucks I have to use an outside source for the in game functions missing.

Yo Erick if you don't mind me borrowing your advice please. Got any thoughts on recruitment drives? Been using Reddit and the forums for a bit now. My main issue is these only target a small part of the playerbase. How can I get an alliance out there to folks in-game considering the limited nature of interaction. Thanks! I've tried the in-game search tool, but it's hard to dig up players who are even online in that list.

On the external end i'm building up more reasons for my folks to get involved such as setting up group events etc both through the discord and informing those not into discord in-game. I've considered a site, but not sure if the extra clutter is worthwhile considering discord can cover external elements. Or where to set one up if I should.

@Nerzarn said in Managing an Alliance is a nightmare. (A leader's POV):

@ERICK001BC said in Managing an Alliance is a nightmare. (A leader's POV):

Yo Erick if you don't mind me borrowing your advice please. Got any thoughts on recruitment drives? Been using Reddit and the forums for a bit now. My main issue is these only target a small part of the playerbase. How can I get an alliance out there to folks in-game considering the limited nature of interaction. Thanks! I've tried the in-game search tool, but it's hard to dig up players who are even online in that list.

On the external end i'm building up more reasons for my folks to get involved such as setting up group events etc both through the discord and informing those not into discord in-game. I've considered a site, but not sure if the extra clutter is worthwhile considering discord can cover external elements. Or where to set one up if I should.

All i can say is just diversify how you advertise and run community stuff based on what you want to advertise for. When I really needed members I advertised here, reddit and on the phantasy star fleet discord while also hanging out in popular blocks to get people who wanted people to play with.

I feel your pain, but perhaps you could ease the stress of seeing your guildmates by changing their names, instead of just i.e. PN12345657 everyone gets one Free change to change that name, for free, so just ask them to change it to something else that does not consist of just numerical strings.

@Rorana said in Managing an Alliance is a nightmare. (A leader's POV):

All i can say is just diversify how you advertise and run community stuff based on what you want to advertise for. When I really needed members I advertised here, reddit and on the phantasy star fleet discord while also hanging out in popular blocks to get people who wanted people to play with.

All good advise. Cheers. Going to up my efforts slowly but surely. ^^

I'm sure WoW Classic Guild/Raid leaders are laughing right now...

@Nerzarn What everyone has stated are all good advice.

So the best place to get members, is surprisingly in game. Play with randoms, if you see someone, nearby have a quick chat. It usually helps to look at players with lower levels, as sometimes they are newer players or solo players who are leveling alt characters. There's a bit of these out there. You will also run into people who are 1 man alliances, always chat with them if they are interested. I also posted a thread here https://forum.pso2.com/topic/2620/ship-1-check-out-shadow-cross-ngs-approved-update-8-21-20-full-open-recruitment-looking-for-active-members-pc-worldwide-steam-ship-transfer-veterans-new-players-returning?_=1598592321143 . I don't like bumping but once every week or other week I will post an update so people are aware. Because of the large player base and how many people have been dropping out of the game, I have hit 100 max capacity 3 times and dropped back to a better number. Still It's best to hit 100 for all the alliance points. I post on reddit and I also appointed a few officers who have earned it to help do exactly what I do. One even posted on the facebook pso page.

As for management, it is important you understand this 1 thing; as it holds true for any management/supervising title. Do you want to be the "Boss" or a "Leader". If you want to be a boss, then a team game like this may be the wrong way to go. A Leader is a person doing just as much as the members, if not most certainly more. I don't have to tell you, as with you asking it is clear that you care for your alliance and want to improve it what ever way you can. Having a website, I stopped paying for the site and just kept the domain and moved over to Discord as it is free and a lot easier to use. You don't need a website to get the most out of it, Discord is more than enough. I will post after this some of the channels I use to make it easier for my members to stay active. With more people in a discord, more people share bonds and strengthen your alliance. You won't want to leave if you are playing with friends over just some randoms in an alliance.

It is important to appreciate your members. Some members will work hard with you. Make sure you are paying attention to those online, helping others, posting, or donating to the alliance vault. I know 5 people in my alliance that just give away 10mil items like nothing because they want to be helpful or love everyone. Obviously you know there are people who would take advantage of them so you have to moderate to not let anyone be taken advantage of as well as maintaining a positive atmosphere where everyone feels welcomed and appreciated. A good way of doing this is with events. Be creative, there are no limits. I will give you the few that I have done, I usually try to do 1 a month, with group play over the weekends and such. Group Alliance photo (1st one done for promoting the alliance), 2nd one was a create an alliance flag symbol art to be displayed on the alliance quarters (next to your main one, as you have 3 monitors), Best Personal Quarters, another one was capture a funny fail, last one was Upload a funny moment video. I have 2 planned for October, one is best cosplay/costume and Best haunted house personal quarters theme. As for prizes, be creative. I buy $5 xbox gift cards to give away and I also try and buy small items/units/weapons and give out to winners. Prizes vary and sometimes others want to host and they provide prizes.

Let everyone in the alliance know if they see someone on or if during UQ to party up. This also helps with AP points for you which then you can spend on them. Keeping the tree boost upgraded and healthy is very important. I also promoted 2 other events. A open house, where most of the members where promoting on high volume blocks to come check out alliance/PQ for consideration, where we would talk to them about it they where interested in joining. Members where in alliance quarters giving out small fun scratch item prizes. It went well. Another very important thing is to push Discord. I had everyone who joined discord gets a small gift item and promoted to member. I felt it was best to demote every member to provisional. Those who join I know are active because I can monitor to some degree activity. Those who join you can have them promoted to member so you know they are active. As for those who don't or can't use Discord. Understand that not everyone will want to or like Discord. That is fine but you have to have equal ground. Have them send you a check in active message monthly. If they don't message them. If still nothing, you can assume inactive. For the most part be responsible and understanding. Life happens, if you know the person you have best judgment on call, but if they won't be able to for whatever reason let it be known that a simple hey I might be gone for a bit please don't kick or something is appreciated. There is no real way to monitor activity, You also do not want people taking advantage of others. While everyone is working to get AP done weekly they aren't pulling their weight and getting rewarded for it while others are working hard. It is important you are on top of this by using those methods. You can tell by usually Sunday, You have 3500 or so AP available per character X the amount of members should get you about this much weekly. Use those status comments to your advantage. Link the discord channel ,and have it as daily open message, with some other news to keep everyone on topic. I like to post any campaign news on discords general chat.

I know I posted a lot, but hopefully this helps you and some other players. Maybe it sparks some ideas. I wish tbh, I didn't have to use Discord and that everything was right there already. I have played many games with this Clan, It is important to love your alliance, them members, and whatever game you are playing together. Everyone has different time zones, life etc. Do not expect the same of every member, but at least try to aim for the minimum. All members should be doing AP missions for that weekly cap. After that they don't have to worry about it. You can always request screenshot evidence but don't be that guy. It is at the end of the day just a game. Make it enjoyable but manage it the best you can and as you want it. I hope that helped.

c6baf7a6-79ad-4d9c-810d-73195ca27776-image.png

@ERICK001BC

Some very awesomely posted stuff Erick, firstly thanks for taking the time to do into such detail. 🙂

Keep up the good work with your alliance!

I see on the recruitment front, I need to focus more on is more in-game interactions with those around me outside the alliance and leading to potential interest through there. Kinda bad at general interactions. Mostly because i'm generally doing other content. So don't sit in the lobbies much.

To me, leading an alliance is not about do as I say, but tell me how I can make your time played enjoyable and always the focus on my members. I'm just the keypoint to make things happen for them. 🙂

My lot is currently in revamp with bringing activities to the fore-front, both of which are fashion events which i'm helping pool and more quest nights, e.g. for doing the triggers we receive and so on. Be kinda cool to expand externally to the ship too, but that's way on the back-burner while getting everything internally right first. I'm looking at incorporating alliance photos, better style to the fronts as well. I suck as SA creation mind you.

Cheers, always appreciate insight, I've officered a lot of places in my MMO years but leading is a different pool! A fun one though.

@Hatsodoom I have lead large guilds in multiple games. I have worked a lot harder before, yes. I am now married and have a job. I am way more casual now and do not wish to go to the lengths I did in the past and I feel like I shouldn't be "forced" into it because of a bad system. People use the excuse that the game was made so long ago but the game really is not that old. All the games I've played from even back in 2004 have a way way better system. That being said, I know I'm coming off as a whiney kid but I'm just ranting and venting about it because I actually like this game and will be here for a while.

@Bananas Yah i didn't mean any harm by it. Just saying that by leading a guild/alliance you're accepting that responsibility if it gets to be that size and for games with raid sizes like WoW, it's even tougher.

@Hatsodoom I understand but again, I've had hug guilds. The max is only 100 in this game which is why I figured it'd be a breeze (still not particularly difficult, I just feel like it should be easier to be casual)

@Angryshooter said in Managing an Alliance is a nightmare. (A leader's POV):

any changes to the ui or anything would have to go to the JP side first then after a long time we would get it too. if its not on JP version, it wont be here anytime soon.

This isn't true. NA has the freedom to add whatever they like.