About themed lobby

Not sure if this was posted like this before, but wouldn't it be nice if there was an option to keep your lobby music and appearance like default? I mean, as a new PC player, I really haven't seen the default PSO2 lobby at all, since it's been event after event after event. Also, some events may trigger some people, like the current I-day one that has a gigantic thread on General. And when it's not a trigger thing, it can also get annoying when the music gets played ad infinitum (wedding and Sonic music), which is usually why lobby music is designed to be soft and non intrusive.

So yeah, an option to change either the whole lobby to default, OR at least the music, would be a good change.

A fantastic idea and one that I offer my wholehearted support to!

I've always viewed a more customizable user experience to be the best way to reconcile a playerbase's otherwise mutually exclusive desires. Having the option to toggle lobby states lets everyone enjoy the game in the manner that they wish.

Do you love the [Insert Event] and the lobby decorations? Great, keep them on and enjoy them! Do they make you feel uncomfortable and unwelcome? Well then, turn them off and the problem is solved!

I'd at least like some variety in the lobby music, like alternating back and forth between the current event's theme and the default lobby theme

Yes, indeed. Even if it's only the music, which may be the easier of the things to put a toggle to in my opinion, as lobbies may require maintenance periods to change (I assume through version build package deployment as is the case with many games like this). But at least in my opinion, the lobby theme isn't as distracting as the music, which again, is why I strongly believe designers make lobby music usually soft and non interfering.

If I recall correctly, back in the original Phantasy Star Online you could move between different lobbies (or was it different blocks?) each with different appearances. One of them (or possibly more than one) had a jukebox that let you change the lobby music for a moderate amount of meseta. Perhaps something like that could work, even if it ends up only being client-side.

Actually, I wonder, if different blocks in this game could have different appearances/music. It seems when they update certain things, the lower numbered blocks change before the higher numbered blocks, indicating that they are in seperate states, to a degree. Could some kind of designated neutral blocks that don't change with events be possible? Maybe they could be called "Roleplay" blocks or something similar to give them a broader purpose.

The opposite could also be true, of course, having blocks with specific decorations for specific purposes, like maybe a permenent wedding block for in-game weddings and such.

@NeirasRothmagia said in About themed lobby:

If I recall correctly, back in the original Phantasy Star Online you could move between different lobbies (or was it different blocks?) each with different appearances. One of them (or possibly more than one) had a jukebox that let you change the lobby music for a moderate amount of meseta. Perhaps something like that could work, even if it ends up only being client-side.

Actually, I wonder, if different blocks in this game could have different appearances/music. It seems when they update certain things, the lower numbered blocks change before the higher numbered blocks, indicating that they are in seperate states, to a degree. Could some kind of designated neutral blocks that don't change with events be possible? Maybe they could be called "Roleplay" blocks or something similar to give them a broader purpose.

The opposite could also be true, of course, having blocks with specific decorations for specific purposes, like maybe a permenent wedding block for in-game weddings and such.

I think it's possible. I mean, they did create challenge blocks, so adding perma default blocks, or other themed blocks, wouldn't be too far fetched. Again, depends on how the game version build works, though. I'd also like a re-creation of the ball game blocks from PSO1. The current area for the ball game may be too small for a larger group.