game is broken, i am quitting the game

people spend real money on this game and the support from the developers is completely pathetic to install this game you have to circumvent the native platform by following a third party guide, install a third party launcher and allow your device to be root kitted and the content for this game is already developed!!!!!!!! how have they not hired the tweaker team officially because they are doing free tech support because Sega cant get their act together this is pure garbage and i couldnt even install this game if i wanted to and why the hell is the file size so huge

It's not SEGA's fault that Microsoft's platform doesn't like games that have their own patch system. At least on PC.

This is why, originally, steam would break Final Fantasy XI installs after FFXI itself patched/updated via its launcher, as Steam would think FFXI had incorrect files after you closed FFXI and re-downloaded them from steam servers.

It's entirely the platform's fault.

@coldreactive then theres absolutely no excuse for not hiring the tweaker team since apperently neither the microsoft staff nor the segas staff can handle their own software. theyre both completely incompetent

i bet the filesize is 90% of the costumes and accesories 😛 the remaining 10% is the actual game lol

@GrandTickler87 said in game is broken, i am quitting the game:

i bet the filesize is 90% of the costumes and accesories 😛 the remaining 10% is the actual game lol

I would argue all of the pre-rendered video files are what take up most of the game's size.

@ENERSHA420 said in game is broken, i am quitting the game:

@coldreactive then theres absolutely no excuse for not hiring the tweaker team

have you considered not everyone wish to work for Microsoft or SEGA

@ENERSHA420 said in game is broken, i am quitting the game:

and why the hell is the file size so huge

lol, there are certainly inefficiencies not least those caused by Sega's stone-age use of tens of thousands of tiny files. But a game of this scale generally is this big. If you want it to be under 1 GB or something you'd be looking at a very different game.

@coldreactive said in game is broken, i am quitting the game:

It's entirely the platform's fault.

Ecosystems tell creators and publishers they expect the files to be provided through the launcher, that to perform an update you're meant to update the files they host. I don't know their documentation on the matter but I expect off-launcher updates are practically circumvention.

What strikes me as interesting is that Microsoft themselves have published on Steam, using Xbox Live integration for social and player-tracking purposes, and I haven't heard of similar problems. How did they do it? If Microsoft and Steam were exclusively the problem, you'd think the combination of the two would be a nightmare, but nothing has really hit PSO2 levels of bizarro errors.

I expect if there is a defined workaround, it's to provide only the core files through the store launcher. For PSO2 this would be the launcher itself and nothing else. The launcher would then need to be updated through the store - none of the self-updating nonsense we know it to be doing.

We know that the Microsoft Store provides 11 GB of PSO2. Why? That surely has overlap with the 68 GB the game needs and which Sega's launcher may update independently (and spend time checking!) causing problems. Steam, and probably the Microsoft Store, don't perform file integrity checks on files it does not provide. So if only the launcher was provided, it couldn't revert an update downloaded by the launcher.

That 11 GB is why I'm convinced Sega have done something wrong, one way or another.

Of course I also think the Microsoft Store and its unstable permission nonsense are badly incompatible with any kind of external launcher (and moreover, with graphics applications like GeForce Control Panel / Experience). So PSO2 is currently suffering from two problems which have a compound effect.

Obviously any hopes for provision on a better launcher would be accompanied by Sega not being silly with how they provide the files through that launcher. This would solve both problems.

@Miraglyth said in game is broken, i am quitting the game:

How did they do it? If Microsoft and Steam were exclusively the problem

Steam actually fixed the problem a while back in the case of FFXI / MMOs. Which is why a lot more MMOs started popping up on steam when Neverwinter (Perfect World) and C9 went to the platform.

@coldreactive said in game is broken, i am quitting the game:

Steam actually fixed the problem a while back in the case of FFXI / MMOs.

What did they change?

@Miraglyth I agree with your view on the issues.

Microsoft as a platform's largest and most known issue is related to their SSO and how having a different Microsoft account logged in on a service completely unrelated could prevent games from being launchable until the user can find out how which account is interfering with everything.

PSO2's most well-known issue, dating back to JP launch, is their sloppy file-system pathing and excessive amounts of individual files that could easily be restructured to take up significantly less object space.

Pairing the really bad coding/structure with the virtual segmentation and strict file structure of the MS environment is probably the worst possible combination. If the PSO2 launcher can't keep track of it's own file locations, it definitely can't tell MS where it is located.

@Miraglyth said in game is broken, i am quitting the game:

@coldreactive said in game is broken, i am quitting the game:

Steam actually fixed the problem a while back in the case of FFXI / MMOs.

What did they change?

I think it was just them creating the index system for downloads/updates per each game. I also think it had something to do with the way they had to implement steam workshop and mod support. Both of them may have contributed in the fixing of non-steam patching.

i dont get the impression they give the slightest shit about maintaining this game, so ill just go fuck myself, byeeeeee

@ENERSHA420 This is one of the few games that seems to stand the test of time. I seriously doubt it will fail here even with its shoddy launch that the PC got. Games that are not good with or without launch issues do not last 8 years.