Removing Height Restrictions

@Liam-J-McAdam Funny how you mention Bethesda and yet in some fallout games you can flat out enslave children and sell them into slavery.

But its also not about the rating as we have contacted the ESRB themselves and they have confirmed removing the height restriction would not affect the games rating.

@TheMerfox said in Removing Height Restrictions:

It is the same reason why Bethesda games program their children to be immortal; if the player character was allowed to kill child characters, there'd be an uproar and the game would get an AO rating, and major publishers absolutely refuse to host those games.

Just gonna chime in on that point. There are some games where dead teenagers or children are the main theme and none of them have an AO rating. Danganronpa and the upcoming Death March Club come to mind specifically.

Dead children is one thing. Giving the player the ability to murder children is anothet.

@Liam-J-McAdam said in Removing Height Restrictions:

Dead children is one thing. Giving the player the ability to murder children is anothet.

Well, if you want a game where they let the player murder children, just look at the Sims, there's quite a few way for you to do that in there. Let's not go too far off topic, though. There's very few things that can give a game an AO rating and I doubt potentially childlike player characters would bump the rating up that far, and unless they decide to censor episode 4, the rating will go up to M no matter what.

@Liam-J-McAdam False.

There is no specified age for short characters in this game.

As far as we understand, they are all ''Of age'' or adults.

If you think someone looks like a child or look at someone that looks like a child in a skimpy outfit, YOU might be the sick person there.

The counter argument to anyone yelling: YOU ARE MAKING A CHILD CHARACTER AND WEARING SKIMPY OUTFITS TO BE A PEDO!

Is simply saying: That's how you look at it, not me. I'm just playing a short character cause I can.

Honestly, it's not even a PR disaster waiting to happen since there's nothing indicating they are children even if they are short.

So honestly, drop that act soon.

@SleeprunnerInc I never said I saw them that way. I just know that PR reps get really jumpy at possible scandals.

They already got Aoi Yuuki voicing Klariskays who irl is shorter than the minimum height you can create an NA character. Surely they know people exist with these heights. :>.. .. Well.. I trust the GMs to allow us to make our voices heard. Can only go 1 of 3 ways. The devs revert the change. They don't revert the change and explain why- or they don't revert the change and we never hear from them or get any explanation whatsoever.

I just hope it's not the 3rd option but I am also predicting that it will be since that's the easiest choice for them.

@Liam-J-McAdam PR disaster? Hello? Why do they let u make ur auxiliaries below average height then? Heck, they don't even have height restrictions like player character does. Nothing stop us from dressing that up in skimpy outfit, and that somehow doesn't fall under the PR disaster/lawsuits you're talking about?

@Liam-J-McAdam said in Removing Height Restrictions:

@SleeprunnerInc I never said I saw them that way. I just know that PR reps get really jumpy at possible scandals.

The ESRB was contacted and a response from them was posted somewhere in this thread. They said that ESRB doesn't care how small or big your characters are, it does not play a factor in the ratings of any game.

The act of utilizing these heights / sizes in certain ways, however, is rated by the ESRB. Player interactions are never rated by the ESRB, however. So GMs/etc. have to moderate those.

The ESRB would instead rate this game based on the game's content at time of testing. This is why games like FFXIV only get ESRB changes when they release expansions. As each expansion has to be rated by the ESRB in their case. (IE: Shadowbringers still has a Teen Rating, but they added an extra tag in the ESRB box.)

@Rumi7364 said in Removing Height Restrictions:

@Liam-J-McAdam PR disaster? Hello? Why do they let u make ur auxiliaries below average height then? Heck, they don't even have height restrictions like player character does. Nothing stop us from dressing that up in skimpy outfit, and that somehow doesn't fall under the PR disaster/lawsuits you're talking about?

Well what is even more strange is that auxiliary heights ARE restricted in NA. In JP their minimum is a foot less than ours. So it's like they did give thought to auxiliaries but still thought 3 ft tall skimpy outfits were fine. Just under 5ft tall player characters were not. It's not about PR- it's not about lolis or shotas. The only reason that it could be is making the active arks lobby look less like a circus performance with short characters next to actual giants. But the difference is far too small to keep that from happening anyway and people are still angry at the restriction and being unable to import their JP characters. There's nothing but pros for them removing the restriction.

@Liam-J-McAdam And that's why I said you can respond to the PR reps by: So you think this character is a child and in your mind and view is being sexualized? You find this sexual? Maybe you are a sicko yourself.

Honestly.

UGH!!! Just because a character is under five feet tall doesn't mean they are a kid, it just means they are a little person

@Liam-J-McAdam I tried to tell them the same thing. Even brought up cancel culture as a prime reason as to why a PR team would have made an issue, Everyone else here will just disagree, and argue some moot point about little robot people, which can be explained away. You'd have better luck talking to a brick wall, because at least the brick wall wouldn't respond in some condescending way, try to thinly veil an insult, or essentially call you an idiot for having that thought process.

God forbid that you look at all possibilities as to why there are restrictions in place, and damn anyone that disagrees with the view, that censoring height for those aforementioned reasons, is hypocritical, stupid, and could never be the logical reason as to why said restrictions exist.

Is it stupid? Yes. Censoring height for those reasons is dumb, because the consumer base giving you money are what pay the bills. But the world is in a very stupid place, and you either play by it's rules, or lose your platform, with which to sell to said consumer. That's not something anyone else here understands, they've never run or managed a business.

Either way, man, I had the same thought process you had, and you basically had the same words to say on the matter, but I'd highly recommend reading through the posts, as to fully understand where the conversation has already been, at least in the future. It helps to avoid the types of responses you got.

(This following section is for the GM's and those complaining specifically.)

I mean sure, SEGA should do a test run, match the height limits to what Japan has, via an update, and if there is no backlash, then it's all good, but if there is, just revert it back to what it was the same way. Either way, you either make the fan base happy, or you prove a point to them using this method.

At this point, that idea would be better than either ignoring the issue in hopes that it goes away, or letting it circle back and fourth as it has in a forum. You won't have statistical results that can be analyzed by your PR or marketing departments, and you won't make matters any better if you don't adress feedback in game.

@Anarchy-Marine Height is not a problem unless we let it become a problem.

The current ''censorship'' of height however is a problem.

They should have ran with the original setup and see what happens before jumping gun cause it MIGHT offend someone.

And even then it's context based and you can easily argue against their POV.

If they say that character looks like an oversexualized child then you can just tell them that it's kinda sick that they think that way when it's just a short adult.

When you turn the argument on it's head, you can get alot of leeway cause it will rise an issue IRL about short people.

@Anarchy-Marine said in Removing Height Restrictions:

@Liam-J-McAdam I tried to tell them the same thing. Even brought up cancel culture as a prime reason as to why a PR team would have made an issue,

God forbid that you look at all possibilities as to why there are restrictions in place, and damn anyone that disagrees with the view, that censoring height for those aforementioned reasons, is hypocritical, stupid, and could never be the logical reason as to why said restrictions exist.

Still haven't even got one reason. Apparently someone said ESRB ratings which was proven false by ESRB themselves- maybe they were concerned about ESRB ratings but now that their concerns should be no more- they can put that back in the game. I'm not sure why they didn't just contact ESRB themselves since as a video game company they probably should have more initiative and power to do.

I mean sure, SEGA should do a test run, match the height limits to what Japan has, via an update, and if there is no backlash, then it's all good, but if there is, just revert it back to what it was the same way. Either way, you either make the fan base happy, or you prove a point to them using this method.

Good idea- and there wouldn't be at all. It's not even the height that is most worrisome- it's the inefficiency at importing and what it means for future censorship if they don't want to allow short characters- in the way of minisuits and such. Clearly sexy costumes don't bother them- so it must be the height specifically and so what about the suits? Where's our All The Content they advertise the game with if they had planned to remove these suits from the very beginning?

Haven't been to this thread in a long while. Here to still support the abolition on the censor. I want my SD gundam nao!