Relation with the original games

Presently there are four "universes" in the franchise.

The classic series, consisting of I-IV (and the various side games and multimedia from the era), and taking place in Algol

PSO1/PSZero, though their connection is fairly loose. Also worth noting that while the final form of PSO1 did not have any direct connection to the classic series, it was at one point planned to link with PSIII.

PSU/Portable series, dealing with SEED and the Gurhal System

And the Oracle universe, consisting of PSO2, PSO2es (mobile companion game, currently JP exclusive), PS Nova (JP Vita spin-off), and IDOLA (JP mobile spin-off)

These four universes each have their own setting, characters, lore, continuity, and gameplay style, but are tied together by similar plots and themes, some musical motifs, general terminology, the Science Fantasy aesthetic, and being excellent games.

That said, if you're willing to bend canon a bit, it's not difficult to read between the lines and draw connections unifying the multiverse. Especially since PSO2 has a few instances of transdimensional travel within the Oracle continuity.

@Radical-Rat Classics have at least 4 continuities, so they alone can diverge into multiple universes.

Emilia from Portable 2 has travelled into other universes through sub-space, name it Ragol and Oracle.

And I have no idea about the story of Idola, but how is it connected to Orcale? I hope the reason is not "because PSO2 characters are in its gacha".

@landman , there is some hints that IDOLA takes place in PSO2's distant future or something like that.

@landman

I don't really know the specifics of IDOLA, but I have heard, like Leon said, that the story contains references to PSO2 events and is seemingly set in its future. I haven't personally played it, nor do I speak Japanese, so I just know what I've heard from others.

If someone reading this has better knowledge of IDOLA, I'd love to hear more about its connections

I'm pretty sure PSO's backstory comes up off of one of PS3's many endings. If I'm remembering right, its the one in which the colony ship is pulled into a black hole and comes out at an unknown planet. Its been a while since I've played though, bit its the only thing that explains the ruins being a buried ship like structure or any incarnation of that fragment of the Profound Darkness being out of the Algol system. Of course some people also say theres time travel because of that black hole ending too and its a looped event that causes earthlings to make it out to algol which blow up the planet. x3 I think the black hole ending fits more to PSO back story.

In this ending (called Aaron ending), the planet they found was Earth. This was my first ending and I remember how confused I've got because of Phantasy Star 2 ending. It seemed to be a contradiction. In PS 2 ending, the final boss said he was from Earth and it was destroyed by greed. But I was very excited and I loved it.

As a fan, we can always give an explanation. As Revalia sugested, the black hole (wormhole) could have make the ship travel to the past. In that case, they could even be the responsible to bring Darkfallz to Earth and, in their future, it could be what made Earth to be destroyed. Then, some survivors could have tracked Algol System and fled to that system just before PS2 story.

It would be a time loop event, very common on sci-fi.

It would actually be rad if we got some throwback areas. Kind of like how PSU did that Maximum Attack with the PSO1 areas. Basically, just reskins and music changes. Would still be amazing, though.

@Qvor said in Relation with the original games:

As a fan, we can always give an explanation. As Revalia sugested, the black hole (wormhole) could have make the ship travel to the past. In that case, they could even be the responsible to bring Darkfallz to Earth and, in their future, it could be what made Earth to be destroyed. Then, some survivors could have tracked Algol System and fled to that system just before PS2 story.

It would be a time loop event, very common on sci-fi.

It's not a loop, Phantasy Star III in English was, just like the rest, butchered and changed in the translation. The Japanese game explains certain heroes (Ohario and Aina) fought Falz in Parma, then after their demise all 400 ships where constructed/finished and fled from Falz. Then Falz destroyed all but two, 1000 years later Orakio and Laia sealed Falz in their Ship, and another millennium later the game takes place.

The first part is clearly talking about a different history, PSII was the result of that time travel, mother brain invaded and ruled Algol so that's the new timeline, Parma was destroyed suddenly but only a few ships escaped this time, most landing on motavia and dezolis, some crashing, they didn't have the time to prepare, and Mother Brain was ruling so it could have butchered the project, assassinated the heroes ancestors (like it killed Rolf family, being Landale) so the Alisa III could not even exist in PS2 timeline, nor the Orakio and Laia family.

Here is one fanmade retranslation, this is explained in any generation 3, talking to the sages in Foundry (New Mota): http://www.sceneryrecalled.com/trans/ps.htm

Regarding other endings, Aron's is the only one with a black hole that ends in a time travel, in Crys' one they reach a planet with a couple moons, that could be Ragol.

BUT PSO2 is not a sequel to PSO, the game will explain the origin of the Photoners, and it's then they discovered photons, that's not how they did in Coral or Gurhal.

@AnamanaAU said in Relation with the original games:

It would actually be rad if we got some throwback areas. Kind of like how PSU did that Maximum Attack with the PSO1 areas. Basically, just reskins and music changes. Would still be amazing, though.

There is one! I don't remember what it was called (though they'd probably change it for NA anyway), but around the anniversary on JP there's an Urgent Quest that takes place in the PSO1 Forest, complete with HD Boomas!

I guess I missed the other one where they ended up at a planet. But mentioning photons and stuff did remind me of what they did with the third part of the first PSO game set. After the first two parts, third one did mention the two "entities" created on Ragol just turned into some weird wispy black juck after beaten. What with not having a body to use. That probably got reused idea wise for PSO2 as far as Dark Falz taking some one over. Pretty sure Flown's issue was the fault of "science" messing with things they didn't understand and Rico was possessed for messing with that seal. And... now I kinda wanna get the Ragol version to get her full appearance stuff...

@Radical-Rat said in Relation with the original games:

@AnamanaAU said in Relation with the original games:

There is one! I don't remember what it was called (though they'd probably change it for NA anyway), but around the anniversary on JP there's an Urgent Quest that takes place in the PSO1 Forest, complete with HD Boomas!

The only PSO area and enemy in PSO2 is Gal Gryphon in its arena, you are provably mixing PSU with PSO2.

Lilipa has new versions of Shinows, also there are rappies, but just like grass assassins, they could be considered recurring enemies. There is no story regarding the Gal Gryphon fight, the game also has Odin from Final Fantasy XIV, and Cougar from Border Break, and Knight Gear from Shining series, and for a time it had a Monster Hunter boss, they are just cameos and collabs.

No, it was definitely PSO2, just a few months ago. Maybe I'm wrong about it being an anniversary thing and it was for something else, but it was a quest point area with Forest 1 music and enemies, and Gal Gryphon was the final boss that would appear.

Technically, yes, but they reworked the boss of PSO for the caves as a boss in PSO2. Yes, its pretty much the same enemy. The only difference was the lack of tentacle attacks and the addition of one attack & grappling hook for tie down. I'm pretty sure they have a musk cat in as an emergency code too, so pretty much its a plug for PS1. Pretty sure the one in the team in PS1 was where SEED got the genetic data for the first attempt that resulted in creating Nei and Nei First. Though if you think about it like that, keeping that in is a direct tie regardless of the story. And even if PSU and the ones along that story aren't directly connected to whichever ending for PS3 that turned out to be the story start for PSO. There was even an ending in PS3 with them meeting up with another colony ship. Also another possible start for those two. With they parted ways with Falz still on one that ended up sealed on Ragol, the other could easily have taken all the survivors from that one with them and established a colony elsewhere. But~ even the story for this one could be drawn back to the reason for everything in the first place. Namely split of a single entity into light and dark, the dark being sealed while the light traveling through space away from that seal after creating living things to guard it. In that sense, the light could just as well caused Xion's consciousness to form before moving on, its made a comet into a living entity before, its always possible this works out. Xion never did say how she became self-aware.

PSO2 has subspace travel, Earth and the setting of PSNova are in completely different universes.

I'm not saying anything with this, I'm just throwing it in the ring. I personally only regard Phantasy Star, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star IV, Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe as being... true Phantasy Star games. Yeah I played III, Portable, Zero, etc, but I kinda see those as extended universe "star wars novels" stuff that don't really carry the same weight as the main titles. In my mind at least. So with that said, I dunno, PSO2 doesn't seem to have the same soul stitched into it as former main PS titles did. It's a cool game but yeah, Alys, Rutsu, Rico, etc all seem much more fleshed out and 'Phatasy Stary' to me than anything I've seen in PSO2. That's just one man's opinion. And an old man at that.