How to tell what your count is for Chain Trigger?

I'm currently in the midst of trying to get used to this thing, but it's really hard to determine when the right time to use use the combos is. Do I literally just count how many times I'm using Normal Attack before I do something like Assault Advance? Is there a way to see the stack count so I'm not micromanaging so much? I'm loving the gunner, and I know Chain Trigger is supposed to be a core aspect of it, but I just don't know how I feel about it.

Chain counter is on the lower right/left or upper right/left of the crosshair effect of the chain counter. At least it's supposed to be. Also, if you don't see the chain crosshair effect/etc. That probably means you have your settings too low, or you weren't paying attention to what part the chain hit. The crosshair also only stays for a second or two after you finish increasing the chain count, so you have to use whatever you need to use almost immediately as if you're combo'ing.

@coldreactive said in How to tell what your count is for Chain Trigger?:

Chain counter is on the lower right/left or upper right/left of the crosshair effect of the chain counter. At least it's supposed to be. Also, if you don't see the chain crosshair effect/etc. That probably means you have your settings too low, or you weren't paying attention to what part the chain hit. The crosshair also only stays for a second or two after you finish increasing the chain count, so you have to use whatever you need to use almost immediately as if you're combo'ing.

Thanks, I found it. I'm really struggling to use it, though. Every time I go in to use Assault Advance, I die almost immediately. I'm guessing I should wait until the mob/boss is in a downed state to use it?

@STATIC-ROBIE said in How to tell what your count is for Chain Trigger?:

@coldreactive said in How to tell what your count is for Chain Trigger?:

Thanks, I found it. I'm really struggling to use it, though. Every time I go in to use Assault Advance, I die almost immediately. I'm guessing I should wait until the mob/boss is in a downed state to use it?

This is what I did when learning the Gunner. Any of the Pros feel free to chime in and say that my advice is bad:

While you're still learning, try experimenting with a safer PA for chain finish. Once you get the hang of the mechanic and Gunner in general you can start experimenting with the harder combos. If you're already locked on, something like True Equilibrium will be able to hit the target part and do your Chain Finish. It won't do as much damage as the other combos, but it's going to do a lot more damage than you being dead.

Once you're getting the hang of the mechanics you can start practicing on using the other PAs like Assault Advance and Satellite Aim when you know it's safe to do so, or stick to your safe finishers when its not.