Levelling up is such a drag in this game

Leveling will get much better with the fourth recommended quest. It'll be much smoother, and no need for capsules.

@SleeprunnerInc said in Levelling up is such a drag in this game:

@Spectra-Saberon Yes they specifically locked content so new players would not get overwhelmed but they failed to take in to account that most of the items, quests and classes we have are part of the locked content and some even require locked content items to be upgraded.

Honestly, while not overwhelming some of the new players was probably a major reason for how they're rolling out the game's content, I also think they were trying to mimic a progression server from EQ, LotRO, and to a lesser extent WoW Classic.

The way Sega is handling the content roll out is really reminsicent of both Lord of the Rings and WoW Classic (And less so EQ, where I believe their progression servers are actually the original game client that's slowly updated due to them having the data still backed up? Don't quote me on that, never actually played EQ).

WoW Classic isn't actually the WoW of 2007. The game's running on the current BfA engine and client, just with the Classic WoW coat of paint and content over it. While none of the modern game's QoL features are in Classic (for obvious reasons), all of the game's modern community and graphical settings are, minus new character models.

Though I think Lord of the Rings is the better comparison to make. LotRO's Legendary Servers function almost identically to how PSO2's US Servers currently are - They're LITERALLY the game's current client, with all forms of QoL, content, classes, races, etc. available in the game. The only thing they did is lock content that wouldn't be available during the current Expansion cycle. So, for instance, Shadows of Angmar only had the game's original zones available, but they still were updated to their modern versions, dungeons were still accessed through the Instance Finder, all the current game's new races and classes were available, etc.

I think Sega is both trying to help new players not get overwhelmed by dumping eight years of content on their heads and saying "Go Play", but they're also trying a semblance of progression into the new content, similar to what the JP players had, though obviously without completely rewinding the game back to it's Episode 1 version (which might not even be possible), this why you have things like crafting materials availble, but not accessible, or boosters for something that isn't even in the game yet.

Much like what SSG did with their Legendary Servers, it's a lot easier to simply lock content behind easily removed walls then it is to reconstruct the game from scratch as it was at launch.

Now whether or not you think this was a good idea is a totally different topic, but this is just my thoughts on why we kind of got a Frakensteined version of PSO2 in the US (which, by the end of the year, won't even be the case anymore). For me, I like these kinds of progression-styled servers, so I'm actually enjoying having something like this to play, rather than just having everything dumped on my head at once.

In honor of this thread, i went and tried how fast one could level all by himself, without even touching dreaded VHAQ. Turns out its probably something around 6 hours.

https://i.imgur.com/sSVsoMd.png

The run wasn't optimized but i sure as hell wont do that again. This was mostly just Magatsu spam, but it was entirely solo.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to prove anything by this, and i wont engage in any argument about what and why, i just wanted to do something fun on a Sunday, as fun as it can be.

@Morgothryuzaki I guess you never played Everquest in 1999 . Try taking over a year or so to Hit 50. It had Hell Levels that took twice as long to level. If you did not get your safety bubble and died you lost a level. Getting it back was sheer torture. It was the only game in town at the time and we all loved it!! This game is a cake walk compaired to Everquest. I do get it though it is a Grind to level now that I am spoiled from WoW.

@Szarina This argument,again. You guys need to realize that saying 'things were rougher back in the days' doesn't change how the present situation is. That argument does nothing at all.

I'm kind of reiterating a point I tried to make earlier in this thread, but I think the content we have being so easy is still the biggest thing to blame for it being boring/a drag. There's really no incentive to group together and have fun outside of VHAQs/SHAQs, EQs/UQs, and Ultimate Quests. Getting groups together to run Time Attacks and just farm popular client orders each day/week, depending on the order, nicely filled in the gaps between EQs when I played during Ep 3. But now people mostly solo the new Daily Orders and only ever group up for the stuff I mentioned earlier. That pretty much leaves hanging out in the lobby (which frankly the popular lobbies are weird) or playing other things to fill in the gaps fun wise. Grinding ultimates at least keeps you on your toes, but there's little to no interaction between players in most of the runs I've done other than requesting a beacon to be dropped.

I'm hoping limited quests, keys, and more triggers at least starts to help bring people together a bit more. Also Buster Quests (I think this is what the castle siege quests were called, it's been awhile) actually are pretty fun in Episode 5.

I lvled everything to 75 alreaedy and by the time new content is out FF14 5.3 will be out and I wont bother with this game ever again. Dont know why they're feeding out content that has already been out for years out so slow.

@Macmaxi said in Levelling up is such a drag in this game:

In honor of this thread, i went and tried how fast one could level all by himself, without even touching dreaded VHAQ. Turns out its probably something around 6 hours.

The run wasn't optimized but i sure as hell wont do that again. This was mostly just Magatsu spam, but it was entirely solo.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to prove anything by this, and i wont engage in any argument about what and why, i just wanted to do something fun on a Sunday, as fun as it can be.

Can you explain to me how you did this? Like where do we get Magatsu to spam? Thought it was an UQ, which I didn't see drop today haha.

@SundryGraph03 said in Levelling up is such a drag in this game:

@Macmaxi said in Levelling up is such a drag in this game:

Can you explain to me how you did this? Like where do we get Magatsu to spam? Thought it was an UQ, which I didn't see drop today haha.

I'm assuming he's using story magatsu? You can redo that thing as many times as you want. But I don't know how much exp it gives, nor if he used (or can actually use) any boosters for it. Then again, 6 hours hitting the same guy? eww

Yes it is story magatsu, not only does story allow you to use boosters, but they also don't run out so you dont actually have to waste a lot. It is tedious, but personally i think all mmo's have tedious levelling so being able to shorten it drastically is neat. I didn't do this for my main character and it requires a somewhat specific setup, so if anything this isn't what you are gonna end up with, considering Fighter is so much better at Magatsu than most other classes. I did waste a lot if time though you can definitely save like an hour or two.

Theoretically i wanted to be able to post a video, but the rendering takes about 13 hours, god bless my old cpu and 60gb of video files.

@Macmaxi

Got curious and tried it myself. Went from 67 to 68 in about 20 minutes doing 4 Hardcore Magatsu runs repeatedly to train up my Bouncer levels, using all my best exp boosters which as you say, do not diminish at all. This may be slow, but looking at it from a pure soloist perspective of exp gain rate vs time, its a fast option once good at it. This makes me very happy as a way to level both classes and rings if I'm in a solo play mood.

Thanks for sharing this!

@Szarina PSO:BB you could lose literally a dozen hours of EXP just by failing to dodge an insta-kill mechanic, and they were everywhere in ep2. Just because it's something older games did does not mean it'd fly today.

@Zvenix said in Levelling up is such a drag in this game:

@Macmaxi

Got curious and tried it myself. Went from 67 to 68 in about 20 minutes doing 4 Hardcore Magatsu runs repeatedly to train up my Bouncer levels, using all my best exp boosters which as you say, do not diminish at all. This may be slow, but looking at it from a pure soloist perspective of exp gain rate vs time, its a fast option once good at it. This makes me very happy as a way to level both classes and rings if I'm in a solo play mood.

Thanks for sharing this!

Story PD(profound darkness) gives similar results for those who don't like dealing with magatsu. It can be harder and slower, or easier and faster depending on class used and how familiar you are with the fight though.

Edit: Here's a screenshot done on pso2day with +600% exp total and level 65 scaling storypd

Just finished my Braver getting to 75, now all I have left is hunter, and fighter.

So.... Without any special stuff, aside a 50% Exp boost, and 50% Triboost, I sub classed hunter with with my main being force. The party I was with managed to get PSE burst in around 5 minutes, and we stayed with it until 30 minutes remiained.

My subclass went from Level 1-32, in one run, so around 30 minutes or so.

I again renewed the effect, and had the same amount of PSE Burst with another group, and went from level 32-43. This was roughly around the same time period, 30 minutes, , maybe 40.

Again we've done it, this time only 2 PSE bursts, and maybe 15 mins, got to around level 47.

This was all in Floating Facility Threat Level 50. So basically in under 3 hours, I went from level 1 (Subclass) to level 47. This is without quests, without experience boosting events, just a simple 4% Exp boost from Alliance, and a 50% Tri, and Exp boost.

Easily could have optimized this too if I was with people I played with normally, but I didn't. Either or, getting to level 75 by normal means, is no chore at all. Granted, it does get boring running the same thing over, and over again. Still compared to other games, it doesn't feel like much of a grind, at least in my opinion.

I do tend to take a few days breaks here and then though from PSO 2, even though ultimately, I will run out of content, and get tired.

@Misuran said in Levelling up is such a drag in this game:

@Zvenix said in Levelling up is such a drag in this game:

@Macmaxi

Thanks for sharing this!

Story PD(profound darkness) gives similar results for those who don't like dealing with magatsu. It can be harder and slower, or easier and faster depending on class used and how familiar you are with the fight though.

Edit: Here's a screenshot done on pso2day with +600% exp total and level 65 scaling storypd

Ok. so I haven't done hardcore PD because I was stopped by level 80 hardcore gemini. How do you get it to scale to your level?