PC crashes and reboots since update yesterday

Ok, so here are the results of what i have found. Good news overall.

So the problem was indeed the Nvidia driver 451.48, due to the fact that introduces 2 new key components into the driver:

• DX12 Ultimate graphics API, support for mesh shaders, sampler feedback, and variable-rate shading (VRS)
  • Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling (Win 10 - May 2020 update)

Something either related to DX12 Ultimate OR Hw-A GPU Sch is causing problems (most likely Hw-A, because this new feature allows the video card to directly manage its own memory... which can cause trouble with old, or poorly optimized applications)...

Supposedly its disabled by default on the windows settings, however I'm starting to believe its toggle is not working properly. Just a bold assumption that was born from the fact that Windows 10 May 2020 Update has been the most bug-filled update YET. Article explaining in detail all known bugs from this update: https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-may-2020-update-biggest-problems-and-complaints

So... now for the juicy part... what did i do... step by step. (Please note that i also re-formatted my Games Harddrive using full-formatting)

@EMP-Skynet said in PC crashes and reboots since update yesterday:

Ok, so here are the results of what i have found. Good news overall.

So the problem was indeed the Nvidia driver 451.48, due to the fact that introduces 2 new key components into the driver:

• DX12 Ultimate graphics API, support for mesh shaders, sampler feedback, and variable-rate shading (VRS)
  • Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling (Win 10 - May 2020 update)

Something either related to DX12 Ultimate OR Hw-A GPU Sch is causing problems (most likely Hw-A, because this new feature allows the video card to directly manage its own memory... which can cause trouble with old, or poorly optimized applications)...

Supposedly its disabled by default on the windows settings, however I'm starting to believe its toggle is not working properly. Just a bold assumption that was born from the fact that Windows 10 May 2020 Update has been the most bug-filled update YET. Article explaining in detail all known bugs from this update: https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-may-2020-update-biggest-problems-and-complaints

So... now for the juicy part... what did i do... step by step. (Please note that i also re-formatted my Games Harddrive using full-formatting)

I'll try that particular nvidia driver. It's odd, because I didn't install the latest version until I started crashing to try to resolve it, so I don't know if DX12 is the issue for me. I also don't have Win10's may update yet. But I'll give the drivers a try, we'll see what happens!

Just as an FYI on the hard drive theory though:

I tried reinstalling on 2 different drives, 1 SSD 1 HDD, and it didn't matter. I reinstalled 4 times, twice with MS store, twice with tweaker.

It never fixed the crashing.

I rolled my drivers back, currently testing to see how long the game goes before a crash... if any.

Unfortunately, even with older drivers, I'm still crashing in the exact same way. It took five hours to crash, this time, but that's not that odd. Coulda taken five hours before, too.

Are you installing all latest drivers Via Windows Update?

@DDDDLife said in PC crashes and reboots since update yesterday:

Are you installing all latest drivers Via Windows Update?

No, I used the installer that he provided since it (seems?) to have worked for him, after I followed his steps and did clean uninstalls.

Bumping because this shit is still going on.

@XYZTHEEND Any updates? Has the issue occured again?

@Dri4974 I have not had the problem the last few days I played. I also have not gotten disconnected. I am also pretty sure it will happen again once I do get disconnect. I will try to update again when it happens along with the error code my bother gets if he happens to be playing with me.

This only started happening on the latest PSO update, but I also had some windows updates installed recently.

I just had a crash happen. The crash for me is definitely caused from disconnecting from the game. This time my internet went out for about 1 min which caused my game to disconnect and crash my whole computer. I will try missing around with my drivers tomorrow and see if that fixes anything.

@XYZTHEEND said in PC crashes and reboots since update yesterday:

I just had a crash happen. The crash for me is definitely caused from disconnecting from the game. This time my internet went out for about 1 min which caused my game to disconnect and crash my whole computer. I will try missing around with my drivers tomorrow and see if that fixes anything.

Interesting. I wonder if that's what could be going on with me too. But since the crash takes my computer down, it'd be exceptionally difficult to figure out if my internet is going out too. The thing is, I don't seem to be having disconnects otherwise... and if the game IS crashing because of a disconnection or poor connection, that's an exceptionally poorly coded game.

I'll check with PSO2's Tweaker support Discord if this has ever been known to happen.

@XYZTHEEND said in PC crashes and reboots since update yesterday:

Could you help out by trying to replicate the problem?

I just tried the following:

*unplugging my ethernet cable

*unplugging my ethernet cable and then replugging it in a split second later

*disabling my network adapter

*connecting to a VPN

*connection to a VPN and then disconnecting immediatly

All of them returned Error 630 but did not crash my PC as would be expected.

Could you perform similar operations to see if those do or don't crash your PC while playing?

I'd like to narrow it down to what kind of connection problem might be causing this.

It sounds like it may be attributed to KB4535996 cumulative update for Windows 10 , Which is causing a Host of issues. If you have it., Please Uninstall it.

@DDDDLife said in PC crashes and reboots since update yesterday:

KB4535996

That update is not in my current update history, and since it's been available since February, even if it had been, it likely is not the culprit.

Remember that these issues started on JUNE 24, with the new Challenge Mode patch. That patch also introduced a number of GameGuard fixes, which is what this is sounding like more and more.

I just tried to replicate the disconnect and crash issue I am having by turning off my vpn while in game and also unplugging my ethernet cable. Both times it just disconnected my game with the error 630 with no crash. Maybe I have to be playing for while for it to actually crash my computer.

Yesterday when the game crash for me I checked my wifi on my phone and it was down for about 1 min after the crash. I will try rolling back updates and drivers and see if that helps with my problem.