I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event

@Aida-Enna Space time mumbo jumbo wibbly wobbly timeywimey paradox stuff.

So yes and no.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

@NeirasRothmagia I can yield Uncle Sam because the entire creation of his image was for the sake of selling war bonds, recruiting for war, and ultimately led to a sense of nationalism that celebrated using a nuclear warhead on a civilian population.

While that may eventually be what Uncle Sam, at one point, evolved into, it's not actually the origin of Uncle Sam. Uncle Sam's 1st appearance appears to have been during The War of 1812, another struggle against tyranny. As far as I can tell, Uncle Sam was never used for selling war bonds, but was instead used as an enlistment tool. I'm sure your'e familiar with the posters of Uncle Sam with the words, "Uncle Sam Wants You!". That's recruitment, not the selling of war bonds. Feel free to engage in your own research, but I've found multiple sources that back this narrative. Here's one: https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/united-states-nicknamed-uncle-sam

It's so strange that many posts are "why are you seeking politics in a video game?" when an independence day event is inherently political, especially with the symbolism used in game.

"Politics in video games" are actually everywhere, you can't just hand-wave it away by saying "I don't see politics in video games". Ignoring or tolerating something that could potentially be unacceptable is implicitly condoning it, regardless of what messaging it might be sending out to others (Note: I am not commenting on the event itself here, just this "phenomenon" of "NO POLITIK IN VIDYA GAEM" warriors).

My personal opinion: This event is the most cringeworthy thing I have ever seen, but I think this is a side-effect that the American display of patriotism is easily the most cringeworthy thing ever, and this is what this event has tried to emulate.

Meh, all I see in the end is my country's birthday getting ignored yet again by an Independence Day event in an MMO.

#FreeCanadaDay

@Matt said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

It's so strange that many posts are "why are you seeking politics in a video game?" when an independence day event is inherently political, especially with the symbolism used in game.

Two words: Cognitive Dissonance. To complain about "politics in my videogames" while being ok with this Freedom event is literally a textbook example.

I just want a lion head accessory to go with the Uncle Sam outfit so I can go full Edison on an alt.

Remember that SEGAJP (a japanese company) designed this event/lobby based on their viewpoint of America. Not that SEGANA probably would have done much different, aside from removing the christmas trees??? in the lobby.

@Matt said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

"Politics in video games" are actually everywhere, you can't just hand-wave it away by saying "I don't see politics in video games". Ignoring or tolerating something that could potentially be unacceptable is implicitly condoning it, regardless of what messaging it might be sending out to others (Note: I am not commenting on the event itself here, just this "phenomenon" of "NO POLITIK IN VIDYA GAEM" warriors).

My personal opinion: This event is the most cringeworthy thing I have ever seen, but I think this is a side-effect that the American display of patriotism is easily the most cringeworthy thing ever, and this is what this event has tried to emulate.

Ya, cuz All Might was making a political statement when he did this:

alt text

Hate to break it to you and the idiot OP, but this is a game. It's not real life. It's a fantasy game. If we play Battlefield or Call of Duty or Counter Strike and shoot people in it, it's not making pro-murder statements. It's not justifying murder. It's not saying anyone is pro-gun 2nd amendment. It's not pro-war. It's a fucking video game.

alt text

omggggg pro-naziiii omgggg this game is making political statements supporting nazis, hating jews omgggg!

Dunno what is up with all this anti-American talk. If you hate America don't play American hosted games. Simple as that hypocrites. You are all such surface level thinkers, it hurts my brain.

@2B Calm down mate.

IF this hurts your brain, jump off the thread to calm down and then come back.

And no I ain't telling you to shut up, I am telling you to cool down.

@2B Imagine actually being this upset over a relatively harmless post on a forum. Take a chill pill, lmfao.

@GrizzlyTrollton Your name is Trollton Grizzly McIdiot. Obvious troll. You're like, textbook example of surface level thinker. Pointing out stupidity and absurdity isn't being upset over something. Though, it's cute you think you're a neutral bystander who's just gonna mock everyone that says this thread is ridiculous. Because that's what it is.

@2B Just calm down mate.

The more you post aggressively and upset, the more likely you will get a negative reply, making you even more negative.

Calm down for the sake of your own mental health 😞

@2B And I'd argue some of the reactions to the thread are equally as ridiculous. But go on and do you buddy. 👌

EDIT: and for the record, I don't even hate the event. In fact, I like it. Already posted about that, but I can understand the mentality behind OP, even if I think it's not really warranted at all here. In other words, I'm not going to essentially just tell him to "shut up".

So joking aside...These forums are way too lenient and weird honestly. Political chatter in other forums are almost immediately decimated, which in fact, this one was deleted at one point and then reopened which actually baffles me? Why even reopen when several people asked for deletion and reported? No offense but I have to question moderation a little bit. Some posts are going off the handles lmao. Like come on with the fucking Nazis dude. It literally has nothing to do with the game at this point. People are fine with freedom of speech but it's very obvious some people just wanna take jabs and get heated.

@Tomoe said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

So joking aside...These forums are way too lenient and weird honestly. Political chatter in other forums are almost immediately decimated, which in fact, this one was deleted at one point and then reopened which actually baffles me? Why even reopen when several people asked for deletion and reported? No offense but I have to question moderation a little bit. Some posts are going off the handles lmao. Like come on with the fucking Nazis dude. It literally has nothing to do with the game at this point. People are fine with freedom of speech but it's very obvious some people just wanna take jabs and get heated.

+1, this isn't acceptable. I could understand if people were actually giving their opinion on the original topic, but now it's just political.