I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event

Hey guys, we respect everybody's opinion but please refrain from having heated arguments.

@John-Paul-RAGE

Ok I just wanted to say that, WoW, That’s an incredibly Reductionist way of looking at it….

Uncle Sam has always been a personification of American Independence and Patriotism(Which by the way isn't inherently a bad thing.) His Origin can be traced back as far as 1812 and was simply a nickname for the United States Government/Military during the war of 1812(Which Occurred due to Britain interference on The United States Sovereign rights, hence it was seen as 2nd War of Independence.) Which is another reason he represents its independence/independence day.

Like You said a finalized image hadn't been made until 1917, But note the likeness used for Sam was taken from Brother Jonathan(Who traces back even before the Declaration of Independence was signed), He appeared in Cartoons form throughout the 1860 and was finally amalgamated into the Uncle Sam figure we know today after the Civil war, so no it was not for the sole purpose of propaganda.

These Images of Uncle Sam/Brother Johnathan would be used again for rallying the U.S in its war efforts against the Central Powers in 1917. You know that "little" War that was tearing the world apart that U.S played a big part in Ending and again in WW2 Which ended German Nazism and Italian Fascism(Outside of these two events the Uncle Sam figure/Brother Johnathan is rarely ever used). Lets just leave all the good nationalism did, and on top of this Celebration of the Use of Nuclear Arms? C'mon man hardly anyone celebrated this, nor do we now.

I am not the most Patriotic person, nor am I denying that Uncle Sam isn't entirely pure, but your post is incredibly disingenuous, and skewed information.

To the OP of the thread:

Are you serious? In a freaking Video game? Perhaps you also brought this to the attention of the staff over at game stop as the looked on to one another, Because you demanded a refund based on the fact that a Video game had symbols of racism , Hatred, genocide and opposition?? I would of LOVED to see the look on their faces, Why I bet they were looking on to each other asking :" Can you believe this guy?"

So tell me, When you really needed to voice your opinion where it really matters, you instead whine about it "THIS ISSUE"..... In a game Forum?????? O_o

alt text

Offense is taken, not given. Attention seeking and baiting like this is quite annoying, and granted i fell for it since i did post this comment. And most people spouting the rhetoric that started this thread are so far up their own backsides in "i'm better than you" smugness they're making multiple loops like a screwed up overly sensitive ouroboros.

Well, to everyone their own. Personally, I don't connect my political believes with games. After all, it's just a game and doesn't reflect on what's going on in the real world. If that would be the case, we would need to cancel ep4 as it does share similarities with past events in a way.

I love you guys and want all of you to have happy prosperous lives full of love and harmony.

@NeirasRothmagia get over your self stop being a whining bitch you could allways remove the game from your pc

I'm honestly surprised at how many people are triggered by this dude actually bothering to make a topic about it. The dude can voice his opinion as much as you all could have just ignored it and essentially let the thread die? Just a thought, lmfao. Complaining about complaining.

One seeking offense will only find the offense that they seek.

We reap what we sow, so careful on how much you believe your crop is actually worth.

@SolX3r0 said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

@NeirasRothmagia "While to some symbols like the American flag and Uncle Sam might seem harmless, to me and many others they are painful icons conquest, oppression, exploitation, hate and murder."

Okay...can you name me a country that doesn't have this sort of sordid history? Once you've given up on that, can you name me a country that currently is better than America when it comes to equal opportunities and rights for peoples of all origins, gender, and sexual orientation? Once you've given up on that, I'll accept your apology in the form of you singing The Star Spangled Banner.

I'll reply to this late and raise you Finland for your second request.

AS to everyone else, the symbolism and whatnot of america is a topic that is for most part, hard to put in to singular words.

When we see America (Finnish people) we think of the stereotype of them.

The flag loving, fast food eating, gun totering and insane americans.

We all have our own vision of america and each of us is taught history and how it happened.

Not a singular country on planet earth is free from wrongdoings in their history.

However and this is a big thing.

We must not forget what we have done but, we must learn to forgive.

This is a nordic saying which basically stands for: We have done so much shit with our neighbors, towards them, towards ourselves, towards everyone, that if we stayed mad at it, we would never move forward and change things.

If an american visits finland or Sweden or Norway, they would be surprised how we can joke about our history so well, even the time when Sweden caused problems for Finland and Norway.

It's painful to talk about it and no one likes badmouthing, but you can change your sights and just go: Well, that happened in the past, its not like we do that anymore and if someone does, I don't so I will laugh at this.

Time and place for everything sure, but we need to start laughing at things even if it is dark because what has happened has happened.

We cannot change what happened but we can change what is going on now.

So the PSO2 event celebrating this independence day is a humorous one as America is portrayed often as a macho person in Anime for example.

We can take All Might in to this and Uncle Sam himself.

Take the good of the event and throw the bad outside.

The ''America'' in this game has not done bad things and its just a funny celebration the Arks are having.

@NeirasRothmagia said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

I love this game, but I feel very disapointed in it in light of the decision to include an event glorifying the United States of America, especially at this particular time. While to some symbols like the American flag and Uncle Sam might seem harmless, to me and many others they are painful icons of conquest, oppression, exploitation, hate and murder. The USA's extensive history and ongoing actions of genocide and human rights violations in addition to its authoritarian and racist government and head of state should speak for themselves as to why this is. I hope that in the future SEGA will be sensitive to the fact that the continent of North America includes countries other than the USA, such as Canada, Mexico and Carribean states, which have been and continue to be the victims of direct and indirect abuses by the USA. Furthermore, within these countries as well as the USA itself are members, descendants or relatives of groups of people who have been targetted and continue to be targetted by the US for oppression, exploitation and genocide. I don't expect SEGA to do anything about it now, though I would like an apology and the removal of these items with explicitly American iconography from the game, I think it would be a good idea to avoid the use of the flags and symbols of real world nations and organizations in the future given their complex and often problematic histories, except when called for by in-universe conditions such as in Episode 4.

How did you survive life so far with being THIS dense?

@Kinvesu said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

This has to be some kind of joke right? Where is the proof? The citations of your claims? This is absurd BS. The USA has stood for freedom and the rights of people for hundreds of years. Just because some people are brainwashed by false claims and false narratives doesn't make it true. Without America the world would look a lot different right now. Being controlled and dictated by actual nazis. Then you would know what real racism is. There has been no country or flag, that has stood against racism, oppression and inequality more than America and the American flag has. Maybe you should open a history book written by unbiased people. Your post is actually offensive too a majority of Americans and all those who fought and died to protect the rights of the USA and the countries they fought to keep free in all those wars. You should be ashamed of yourself.

It's funny how the patriotic people accuse the left or "sjw's" for being biased, yet, these same people type garbage filled comments like this.

I understand now that the right and the left are really no different from one another. Both groups will only accept facts that fit their prerogative. You have to be completely and utterly delusional to think that America has always been about freedom.

@NeirasRothmagia Not celebrating independence day for NA, just Arks. They where careful not to say America....... Though how obvious it is. Also, don't take it too personal.

@NeirasRothmagia said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

I love this game, but I feel very disapointed in it in light of the decision to include an event glorifying the United States of America, especially at this particular time. While to some symbols like the American flag and Uncle Sam might seem harmless, to me and many others they are painful icons of conquest, oppression, exploitation, hate and murder. The USA's extensive history and ongoing actions of genocide and human rights violations in addition to its authoritarian and racist government and head of state should speak for themselves as to why this is. I hope that in the future SEGA will be sensitive to the fact that the continent of North America includes countries other than the USA, such as Canada, Mexico and Carribean states, which have been and continue to be the victims of direct and indirect abuses by the USA. Furthermore, within these countries as well as the USA itself are members, descendants or relatives of groups of people who have been targetted and continue to be targetted by the US for oppression, exploitation and genocide. I don't expect SEGA to do anything about it now, though I would like an apology and the removal of these items with explicitly American iconography from the game, I think it would be a good idea to avoid the use of the flags and symbols of real world nations and organizations in the future given their complex and often problematic histories, except when called for by in-universe conditions such as in Episode 4.

umadbro ?

except when called for by in-universe conditions such as in Episode 4.

But since Xion gives you a quest for these items, aren't they technically in-universe?