I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event

@Lvost1990X Yep,just tired of these people trying to shove their political opinions on people.

@Dekaldar said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

@NeirasRothmagia a national holiday is not political,its like saying celebrating Saint-Jean_baptiste in Quebec is chooing a political side,its a celebration of your country.Representation is always good.

Not all national holidays are necessarily political, no, at least not in the context that I believe you mean here. Celebrating Independence Day itself is actually not something I have a problem with as I think all people can share the joy of celebrating the act of pursuing or achievng liberation from a foreign imperialist power. Indeed, this very thread was made with that spirit in mind. It's more the specific symbols that I take issue with, as Uncle Sam and the US flag have less of a universal appeal given their conspicuous presence in the propaganda that fuels the abuses that Independence Day symbolizes the opposition to.

I was very pleased to see they created an NA exclusive event around the 4th of July because it shows their willingness to expand upon the JP version and bring inherently unique features to the global version (wonder what other holidays we can recognize globally?).

Regardless of the history of the United States (replace united states with any country and you will find a similar history), the narrative of the Flag, Constitution, and holiday as a whole, is the willingness to rise against oppression and tyranny as a collective people.

Regardless of whether that was intended for a specific gender or race 244 years ago, the narrative and symbolism demands freedom for all, so it should be used in the pursuit of freedom for all.

Your logic would mean that the only way a nation can demonstrate change would be to change the name and flag rather than the actions that perpetuated oppression?

Also, this was developed by SEGA JP and they chose to capture the likeness of America from a period that spanned WWII.

Do you understand the significance of that?

@NeirasRothmagia It isn't political. It is patriotic. There are some horrible things going on here and things that need changed, but you can still love your country. There are still a lot of things that make America great. Praise and celebrate those. Stop being a negative nancy. Please don't be that guy.

We are all connected in some way in this country. We need something to unite us now more than ever. So let this be a small way to do that.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

I was very pleased to see they created an NA exclusive event around the 4th of July because it shows their willingness to expand upon the JP version and bring inherently unique features to the global version (wonder what other holidays we can recognize globally?).

Regardless of the history of the United States (replace united states with any country and you will find a similar history), the narrative of the Flag, Constitution, and holiday as a whole, is the willingness to rise against oppression and tyranny as a collective people.

Regardless of whether that was intended for a specific gender or race 244 years ago, the narrative and symbolism demands freedom for all, so it should be used in the pursuit of freedom for all.

Your logic would mean that the only way a nation can demonstrate change would be to change the name and flag rather than the actions that perpetuated oppression?

Thank you for this post, it is a very well reasoned response and raises many good points. Who gets to decide what a symbol means? When can a symbol that has been associated with something bad become free of those associations? Can a symbol currently associated with bad things happening also be associated with contradictory good things? As for me, I was simply stating how I felt at this moment about these symbols, since I think in the American-centric English speaking world there might be a bit of a blindspot for the less positive readings of them. I understand, accept and encourage people to find positive meaning in them and reclaim them for the ideals that they are meant to stand for. However at the same time I'd like to have it acknowledged that for many these symbols mean the opposite and can be troubling to see.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

Also, this was developed by SEGA JP and they chose to capture the likeness of America from a period that spanned WWII.

Do you understand the significance of that?

This is a complex topic that goes beyond what I wanted to address here, but I do like to think I understand the significance of a conquered, colonized and currently occupied people reproducing the imagery that their conquerer's used to justify conquering them for a product aimed at said nation. I will not guess at the intent of this particular action, only judge the results.

Seriously, I never understood why people Reach hard to make connection of political or social commentary where none exist, especially in the context of a game.

Also the thing is that is mostly your interpretation of the U.S Flag and Uncle Sam that many would disagree with(I sure as hell never saw them in such a light.)

By your logic Celebrating a positive aspects of a Countries Accomplishment can never be done as Almost all countries have aspects of their history that isn't very favorable, Hell even Japan has a history of Brutal war crimes, Rascism, and Xenophobia.

Honestly this topic should just be modded as all it does is just stir the pot..

@NeirasRothmagia I can appreciate that response and it actually lends to a discussion my spouse and I were having yesterday.

We were talking about how when we associate an image, phrase, action, etc with a negative or positive connotation, it is difficult to disassociate that because we spend a significant amount of time confirming it through seeking biased media.

That's why with everything going on I try to separate myself from the bias and look for relations that don't have those positive or negative experiences attached to them. It is admittedly a very hard exercise to fulfill because our lives and perceptions are completely dictated by those experiences.

The only thing I could really find is how the Declaration of Independence and Constitution was written in a language that did not segregate or reinforce prejudices or racism (even if representatives of those documents did so themselves). The mention of the people's unalienable rights life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness stands out the most, and that led to "liberty and justice for all" which is part of the Pledge of Allegiance that was recited with the symbolism of the American flag.

Was that honored in the past? Hell no, as you mention there were many atrocities that followed that auspicious moment in history and has led to seem very different realities from what was promised. But the language still promises those things to everyone and we are at a point in time where we can make sure it is as inclusive as it is written. Doing so is not only within the Rights of Americans, but it is also demanded of them to do so by holding the government accountable.

Regardless of me writing all of that, I know that it won't dispel any negative connotations that people have regarding the symbolism of America or the 4th of July, but I still believe that it is objectively representative of a world where we hold those in power accountable for their actions and ensure that every person's inherent rights are honored and protected.

@KLB600 said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

Seriously, I never understood why people Reach hard to make connection of political or social commentary where not exist, especially in the context of a game.

Also the thing is that is mostly your interpretation of the U.S Flag and Uncle Sam that many would disagree with(I sure as hell never saw them in such a light.)

By your logic Celebrating a positive aspects of a Countries Accomplishment can never be done as Almost all countries have aspects of their history that isn't very favorable, Hell even Japan has a history of Brutal war crimes, Rascism, and Xenophobia.

Honestly this topic should just be modded as all it does is just stir the pot..

I feel that the flag of a political body and a propaganda mascot are fairly politically charged symbols, but that's just me.

I'm glad that some people can see these as positive symbols, but I hope that you can come to see why they might be regarded as negative by others. I encourage people the celebrate the positive aspects of their cultures and nations, although maybe reading the room a bit, considering the time and the place and so on, would be a good idea. However cultures and nations are complex and contain both good and bad elements that both need to be recognized and confronted, preferably by their own people but sometimes an outsider's perspective is necessary. It is as an outsider that I voiced my opinion that these symbols are troubling, as my own country has been the target of US imperialism in the past and is arguably so in the present.

If nothing comes of that, that's fine (well, not really, but let's pretend that it is for now to keep the conversation going). As I said, I don't expect SEGA to do anything, I just wanted to say my piece and maybe generate some discussion and reflection. Which, I should say, has far exceeded my expectations! Thank you for all of your responses so far, everyone!

Another PSO2 General post ... another dumpster fire

download (1).jpeg

Seriously, does something have to find something so minimal to complain about?

Just quit the game. The fact they actually took the effort to make a lobby and outfits just for the NA release, and how it actually looks nice is very flattering and patriotic. And this was Sega of Japan that made this, mind you. I appreciate it personally.

I'm more disappointed that there's no Canada themed stuff for Canada Day. I want my MAG to be a moose...

is this another Troll thread?

@Alineah said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

is this another Troll thread?

Considering that the OP has only posted 5 times here and it's all from this thread tells me yes.

Probably to get reactions and then poof.

looking at his responses, they don't seem trollish, but i think the majority can agree that

1. Sega giving NA an exclusive event from jp is awesome and a step in the right direction
  2. Content is content, the more stuff to do and get is always nice