I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event

If this person isn't a troll, and is actually serious, then I'll just state this simple hypothesis. Most likely, the majority of the NA server funds are being generated by selling to Americans. Therefore, it makes sense for a company wanting to increase revenues to produce content aimed directly at that audience, which includes major holidays that they are familiar with. If you would rather not see this 'iconography' all over the ships, it's pretty easy to curtail:

1. Whatever 'oppressed' country you happen to live in needs to step up their game and;
  2. Buy more stuff than the US does

Pretty easy, no? If you can't do this, then please, take a hiatus from the game until this is all over. Because until then, there's no way Sega will NOT be doing this stuff (it would be absolutely stupid of them not to), and all you'll be doing is getting your scrunchies in a bunch over nothing.

The countries you’ve listed have also directly and indirectly profited from the US. I’m sorry you feel the US flag is a hate symbol, but I implore you to look more closely to the whole of history and recognize there isn’t a single state without blood on its hands. Following this reasoning makes every country’s flag a hate symbol, which might be what you want, but also isn’t a complete view of how the human condition works. I’m not telling you to simply get over whatever you feel about this event, but please understand that your opinion is neither the majority one, nor correct enough to lambast any event that glorifies the United States.

@VicariousBark18 said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

looking at his responses, they don't seem trollish, but i think the majority can agree that

1. Sega giving NA an exclusive event from jp is awesome and a step in the right direction
  2. Content is content, the more stuff to do and get is always nice

Thank you for the vote of confidence! I am doing my best to continue this discussion in a civil and constructive manner, but I understand that this is a topic that can provoke some heated responses from everyone involved. I hope you and everyone else feels like I'm treating them respectfully, and I hope that it is not too much to ask for that same respect in turn (which you have thus far provided).

Stepping back from my original point for a moment, I do want to offer some praise (dare I say Kudos?) to the developers for making an unique event like this for the North American audience, even if I'm opposed to the subject matter. I think many of us didn't expect much attention from SEGA for this version, so I understand the joy of seeing something made especially for us. More content and more stuff to do is always nice. With that said, I hope everyone can accept that for me and others like me, that joy is tainted by being associated with symbols that were used to rally a nation to potentially murder our recent ancestors and to do so again should the opportunity arise.

Jfc. People these days are crazy.

@NeirasRothmagia said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

I love this game, but I feel very disapointed in it in light of the decision to include an event glorifying the United States of America, especially at this particular time. While to some symbols like the American flag and Uncle Sam might seem harmless, to me and many others they are painful icons of conquest, oppression, exploitation, hate and murder. The USA's extensive history and ongoing actions of genocide and human rights violations in addition to its authoritarian and racist government and head of state should speak for themselves as to why this is. I hope that in the future SEGA will be sensitive to the fact that the continent of North America includes countries other than the USA, such as Canada, Mexico and Carribean states, which have been and continue to be the victims of direct and indirect abuses by the USA. Furthermore, within these countries as well as the USA itself are members, descendants or relatives of groups of people who have been targetted and continue to be targetted by the US for oppression, exploitation and genocide. I don't expect SEGA to do anything about it now, though I would like an apology and the removal of these items with explicitly American iconography from the game, I think it would be a good idea to avoid the use of the flags and symbols of real world nations and organizations in the future given their complex and often problematic histories, except when called for by in-universe conditions such as in Episode 4.

Oh shut up.....

With that said, I hope everyone can accept that for me and others like me, that joy is tainted by being associated with symbols that were used to rally a nation to potentially murder our recent ancestors and to do so again should the opportunity arise.

And with that post, I'm flagging this thread because Jesus Christ dude. You cannot be this dense and stupid to think the US is the only country that has blood on its hands.

@Novaline said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

With that said, I hope everyone can accept that for me and others like me, that joy is tainted by being associated with symbols that were used to rally a nation to potentially murder our recent ancestors and to do so again should the opportunity arise.

And with that post, I'm flagging this thread because Jesus Christ dude. You cannot be this dense and stupid to think the US is the only country that has blood on its hands.

I am also flagging this post.

@BronzeAgeBrain said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

The countries you’ve listed have also directly and indirectly profited from the US. I’m sorry you feel the US flag is a hate symbol, but I implore you to look more closely to the whole of history and recognize there isn’t a single state without blood on its hands. Following this reasoning makes every country’s flag a hate symbol, which might be what you want, but also isn’t a complete view of how the human condition works. I’m not telling you to simply get over whatever you feel about this event, but please understand that your opinion is neither the majority one, nor correct enough to lambast any event that glorifies the United States.

Indeed. My own country, dispite being a past and potential future target for invasion by the US (and of course others, but only one has an in-game event celebrating it right now) is paradoxically highly dependent on US military protection and trade to sustain our way of life. The world is complicated, the US does and has done a great deal of good, but it has also done and continues to do a great (in my opinion, greater) deal of harm.

I think we should reframe the conversation to focus on PSO2 specifically, as I feel like we're getting off topic (I love discussing history and geopolitics, so it's probably mostly my fault). Does PSO2 really need a Independence Day Event? Does an Indepedence Day event need Uncle Sam costumes and US flag apparel? Could we not have had a similarly themed in-universe holiday that has less politically charged imagery? Does ARKS not celebrate its formation, or the defeat of {Elder], or its liberation from Luther? Do we not look back in shame and mourning at the Code:Abyss order?

It just seems like needless politicization to me. ARKS and my characters are as American as I am (which is not very or at all).

It's an event meant for a version of the game released for NA. Get over it.

Flag because of the obvious toxicity with the thread.

@NeirasRothmagia A country is honestly just an assigned territory subject to an arrangement of rules and regulations. If the framework benefits you and you can flourish in that system, you would be patriotic

But, if you are poor or have been treated like trash because of that system and it's people, there be no reason to give a damn about the country.

Even though what you are saying is right, and america has tons of twisted, abhorrent history that gets buried, you are speaking to people who mostly flourish because of america's system, so you won't be getting anywhere.

The best thing to do is simply not log in, not but ac's or anything until the event is over.

can we just have nice things without someone complaining so much? This is why we cant have nice things. Thank lord these forums exist because more players that actually play the game will be on here rather than the mobs on twitter would.

@NeirasRothmagia said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

Does PSO2 really need a Independence Day Event? Does an Indepedence Day event need Uncle Sam costumes and US flag apparel? Could we not have had a similarly themed in-universe holiday that has less politically charged imagery? Does ARKS not celebrate its formation, or the defeat of {Elder], or its liberation from Luther? Do we not look back in shame and mourning at the Code:Abyss order? It just seems like needless politicization to me. ARKS and my characters are as American as I am (which is not very or at all).

Jesus dude your whole view of this is so skewed, PSO2 is already well known for out of universe references and events in order to generate revenue, so this point is pretty moot.

Honestly all I can tell you is take some time off until this event is over, as you seem too easily offended over a none issue.

My All Might outfit is already finished and ready to go, i couldn't care less god bless america

People only have rights on paper. From a practical standpoint, american citizens are closer to property. You can get in trouble with harming an american citizen, but there's an exception with who does the harming and how they went about it. I will never understand why people feel proud for "their" country and "their" political entities when the feeling is clearly not mutual, but eh. This is a cringy event anyways so there's no real reason to waste energy on it. Simply just do not support it if you don't like, all that can be done really.

For the love of god, can we please keep politics out of this forum. Take it to Discord if you want to debate US history.

@GM-Deynger Can this thread go the way of the dodo, please?