I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event

@NeirasRothmagia HOW'S THIS NOT 4TH JULY TO YOU?!

alt text

Delete this stupid ass post.

@DHG-MumfordsSon said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

Delete this stupid ass post.

Yeah this is NA release, not world wide or global.

@Lvost1990X said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

Flagged for moderation since this will eventually turn into a dumpster fire. Should be deleted though.

This event was in the works for months I bet. So uh yea despite the current political time bomb America is in right now, its a nice event.

I'm not reading much into it.

I love the top hat.

@Katou said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

As someone that's from Canada, I'm already used to games (and pretty much everything really) ignoring Canada 75% of the time. When they say North America, what they really mean is mostly United States, and Canada can join too, maybe, but they just need to stay still as America's hat. I don't know how many times I've read something being released to "North America" (usually limited time stuff), but then no matter where you look, it's only available from the United States. Why fucking bother saying NA, just say US. FFS.

Anyways, I digress. It's a game, not reality. It's free shit. I won't ever buy/use the US themed items, but I'll take everything else.

Indeed. I expect the game to focus on its US demographic first and foremost as its the logical thing for a company to do considering their population and spending power and I have no particular issue with that. I don't have much interest in seeing my own national holidays represented, in fact I would likely oppose their inclusion for a variety of reasons.

However in all my time playing English language North America region online games with seasonal holidays going back to Final Fantasy XI, I don't recall ever seeing a game feature real world political imagery for an in-game Independence Day or other holiday event like this. Even World of Warcraft, a game made in the US, and City of Heroes, a game made in the US set in a fictional city in the US, lacked such events back when I played them, if I recall correctly, which makes the presence of it in PSO2 so bizarre and jarring for me.

@SleeprunnerInc said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

@NeirasRothmagia Unfortunately in Europe, that would be seen differently due to the mentality that people in Europe have.

Russia is one of the biggest jokes on the planet and thus even if we celebrated their iconic military parades etc, it would be widely accepted and left as is.

However were Russia in a state of civil war etc, it would be treated differently as currently America is suffering from fightings inside of itself and those have spread outwards which is why this event is seen more negatively than it would normally be seen as.

That's the difference between periods of peace and uneasiness.

I can totally understand your view on this subject as that is your opinion and views on it.

However this is largely to try and celebrate a nice thing even if it has a very bad past.

And on top of that, we could always argue that the PSO2 Independence day event is to celebrate America turning in to something good.

So take that in to consideration.

I see. I'm quite surprised to hear that the attitude towards Russia in Europe/Finland is so ambivilent, but I will accept what you say as true and hope that you can accept my apologies for making such an assumption.

I would like to reiterate that the consequences of US imperialism are not simply part of a "bad past," but something that many people in North America are currently enduring. It's also not something that suddenly materialized during the current crises that the US is facing. It's both a "bad past" and a "bad present," hence my feelings on the matter. I do deeply wish I could share your sentiments on seeing this event as an aspirational celebration of working towards an US and a world that lives up to the beautiful promsies of the US' proclaimed founding ideals and ascends to an even brighter future beyond, but I can't as things are now. Perhaps one day.

With that said, I would like to thank you for your continued commentary, which has always been calm and conciliatory thus far, adding a much needed touch of grace to this thread.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

@Tomoe I believe the following happened:

A global moderator responded to a report by deleting the thread. An Admin looked at it later and wagered the pros vs cons and determined it could be a beneficial discussion/sensing session to gain feedback that can be leveraged for the future of the "global" version of the game.

Questions would need to be answered like: *"If this will be supported in x, y, and z country, how receptive will they be of these images and symbols?"

Moving forward, as long as things did not spiral into an irredeemable place, the moderation would focus on deleting individual posts that did not add anything to the discussion rather than removing the ability to participate completely.

The problem is an individual problem. Individuals who feel an opinion is a personal attack and impulsively spring into non-constructive dialouge and throw personal attacks themselves. SEGA JP could use the feedback in all honesty, they are most likely not very in-tune with how other cultures perceive things. Individuals just need to learn how to ignore topics that cause them enough anger to prevent from thinking logically.

Report the individual posts that are obvious attacks, select "other", and type in that said post should be delete due to x,y,z. It will help out the Global Moderators who are on the forum more until an Admin can take more appropriate action.

👏

@NeirasRothmagia said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

With that said, I would like to thank you for your continued commentary, which has always been calm and conciliatory thus far, adding a much needed touch of grace to this thread.

This is why we're allowing this thread to continue. So long as everyone is enjoying the discussion and responding in a calm and meaningful way. And yes, the feedback can (and will be) used for "future" content.

This post is deleted!

@ldoIatrous Here, no please stop posting this on each page.

https://www.siliconera.com/the-fourth-of-july-lasts-about-a-month-with-the-pso2-independence-day-event/#:~:text=The North American version of,run until July 22%2C 2020.

Article lists it as a new event. And if you really want verification, I'm sure Deynger can verify.

@NeirasRothmagia

Columbia (the lady, not the country or the district), who was historicallty the much gentler personafication of the US as a nation

Honestly this is probably the only thing I agree with you on this thread so far. I was taken a bit back as to why Lady Columbia was not featured in this event(hell she is rarely ever mentioned on independence day), She has been pictured in Cartoons together with Uncle Sam in the past as he is the Male personification of the U.S and Columbia is the female personification.

I guess they Wanted some type of male and female U.S representation for the event and Sam is the most Recognizable one outside of the U.S(So SEGA JP would mostly be familiar with him), the Roller Diner for female had me a bit puzzled.

@Morgothryuzaki said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

Or,and listen well because this is a very hard concept to grasp,I am entirely sure.

DON'T.BRING.YOUR.POLITICS.INTO.VIDEO.GAMES.

Don't like it? That's your right. Entirely. But don't push your personal narrative on us,that's not any better than what you are apaprently standing against. Thank you,signed, someone who plays games because GAMES.

Whether or not you agree with OP, this is an incredibly asinine point of view to hold because most things in life are political to some degree, it doesn't magically become political just because it runs against the status quo or your personal views. Icons like the american flag and the very notion of independence day are very much political and OP is entitled to his point of view - the idea that people should only be allowed to have a political view if it lines up with the popular opinion, ironically, runs directly counter to the spirit of those very things that you're so outraged on behalf of.

@NeirasRothmagia Plenty of games have had 4th of July seasonal events, with American symbols. You for instance mention WoW, made by Blizzard, but you neglected Overwatch, and it's inclusion of many holiday events, including America's 4th of July, as well of its many other worldly season events. Said game is also made by Blizzard. Fallout 76 also has it's Forth of July seasonal events, and even the MMO Black Desert online has had a variation of it. These are just some examples.

Just because you find it offensive, doesn't mean the rest of the user base does. The game obviously used this event, as a two fold system, one to celebrate the 4th, and two, to fold the event into the VR simulation of Vegas, which will have a role outside of VR in episode 4.

I live in the U.S. and appreciated the intent of the gesture, which was to honor Americans who had a love of PSO2, so strong, that they used VPN networking to play the Japanese region locked game. (With obvious satire thrown in of course) Please keep your mind open, because you sound very closed minded, locked into a belief that all Americans are bad, and so it's symbolism shouldn't be allowed, which if you haven't been watching the news, would have shown you how false that narrative is. At least, that's how you come off, so maybe I'm wrong. No country is perfect, and all have black marks in their history. This is humanity we are talking about, it's very flawed.

A symbol is just a symbol, and it has no intent, except for those that use it. It has no power until more than one person backs it. Just because our systems need reform, doesn't mean you destroy several hundred years of history. You learn from that history, only when you keep said history intact. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to remake the same mistakes of it's past. Thus why I don't support statue destruction, book burning, etc. It's the same thing Nazi Germany did back in the 40's, and coincidently, those that are supposedly anti fascist, are using the tactics of a fascist.

If it's really a major issue, there would have been more players up in arms, but there haven't been any that I've seen in game. Many have been enjoying the event, and farming the cosmetics, so I don't know where you think you have the right to demand anything. What you should have done was asked for a voting pool, which would have been fair. But given how many players on Ship 3 alone have jumped at the opportunity to enjoy the event, I don't think the vote would have garnered much support in your favor.

I for one don't support censorship of an event geared towards Americans for the same reasons I dont support toppling of statues and book burning, in that I don't believe censorship of history, or ones own nationality is morally ok. In fact I think it's wholly wrongful to do so. And I sincerely hope you can grasp the idea, that just because you are offended by something, that you have the right to tell people not to enjoy it. Offence is like art, it's subjective and based on ones own perception of reality, and thus the same reason not everyone sees something as art, not everyone will be offended by something.

If we lived in a world where we just censored everything that any person could take offense to, this world would be bland and stale, because there wouldn't be any creativity, because people find stupid things to take offense at. Even something as simple as color has been scrutinized in the past, and thankfully that was ignored, but you can hopefully see where I'm coming from here. I don't want events censored in game, simply because someone got offended by it. In fact I hope they share all of the events in game they (SEGA) have yet to release, and won't allow your original post to deter them.

Wow, this is idiotic. Getting pissy over an event for a natural holiday? Then by that logic, you should get pissy over the White Day and Lunar Celebration events, since they're national holidays in Japan. Grow the hell up.

@Pun said in I am very disapointed in PSO2 for having this Independence Day event:

Wow, this is idiotic. Getting pissy over an event for a natural holiday? Then by that logic, you should get pissy over the White Day and Lunar Celebration events, since they're national holidays in Japan. Grow the hell up.

There's no such thing as a "natural holiday" and given that OP is likely American they are thus unlikely to have any particular historical or cultural context for white day or lunar celebrations.