180GB HELD HOSTAGE BY THIS GAME

we need help uninstalling the game, its taken about 180GB hostage and it wont let me uninstall, is this a virus? i dont understand?? please help us, youre ruining computers, people are filling their hard drives and performing factory resets thinking this game is a virus, why wont you tell us how to uninstall? we just want our computers back, i will never buy or download anything sega again, this is literally breaking computers, i cant believe you wont even give a statement on this, PLEASE DO SOMETHING, OR AT LEAST SAY SOMETHING

1. Always delete pso2_bin manually after uninstalling it from the MS Store.

MUCH LIKE STEAM, the MS Store will NOT delete patched content / user-added content. (The pso2_bin folder is located in the "Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps" folder.)

2. Always, ALWAYS, install video games on your Operating System's main hard drive.

A lot of older games don't like it when they're on an external hard drive. This is mostly moot on consoles because consoles just read the instructions included in the game's packaged folder. However, on a PC, registry can make or break games, and some software will inherently read a registry value as something hard-coded, such as C:\ being the drive it's installed in despite you installing it on D:\

A great example of this is in MapleStory 2's anti-cheat code, which will shut the game down every 5 minutes if it detects Cheat Engine being installed in the default Program Files directory. However, installing it elsewhere causes the anti-cheat code to not find Cheat Engine, and your game session is safe from harm. (Note: The anti-cheat code only detects if it's installed, NOT RUNNING. This also violates UK/EU laws where software has to tell you that it will be scanning your computer's directories, which it doesn't. IE: it doesn't ask for UAC/admin control.)

3. Make sure the pso2_bin folder has read/write permissions for you.

Because if it doesn't, sometimes programs will just make duplicates in another folder that it can read.

The first two are standard user errors that the publisher/developer can write off. However, the third one is more of an error both parties have to deal with. The installation process itself is what determines the read/write permissions of the folder in question, which is why most installation programs ask for UAC / Admin privileges when you start them up. So that they can actually define these permissions in the first place.

As for this...

thinking this game is a virus

Most antivirus software will think most games, out of the box, on release, are in fact viruses. Because most games are actually keyloggers in disguise. This is mainly so that the developers can get valuable feedback from system dump files/etc. to debug errors without having to ask you for "what you did" every single time. The best way to deal with this, is to tell the antivirus / firewall / whatever company that the program in question is a false positive. People have already done this for the standalone version of PSO2 for Japan, but not for the North American version, which likely uses a new digital signature among other things, which sets it apart from the JP version's EXE file.

@Kitty-Strafe-x said in 180GB HELD HOSTAGE BY THIS GAME:

we need help uninstalling the game, its taken about 180GB hostage and it wont let me uninstall, is this a virus? i dont understand?? please help us, youre ruining computers, people are filling their hard drives and performing factory resets thinking this game is a virus, why wont you tell us how to uninstall? we just want our computers back, i will never buy or download anything sega again, this is literally breaking computers, i cant believe you wont even give a statement on this, PLEASE DO SOMETHING, OR AT LEAST SAY SOMETHING

use link below to be able to delete the windowsapp folder... also be sure to use SHIFT DELETE ... if you just hit Delete it wont actually fully delete it

https://beebom.com/how-access-windowsapps-folder-windows-10/

also go into the add remove programs and uninstall PSO2 and if you have Tweaker do the same with that as well. then start fresh install. do this by hitting the windows button in the bottom left corner, then go up to settings (the little cog icon) and click on settings, then click on Apps, give it a moment or two and then scroll down and find PSO2 and click on it, it should give you an option to Uninstall. click on uninstall and then do the same thing for Tweaker if you have that. that will get rid of those extra files and free up all that space.

you can then try and redownload the game again and it should work now... from the windows store that is. and you should be good at least for a little while.

Just an FYI on removing the extra files, if you don't want to change permissions (and honestly you should change them back for security after, which is a hassle) there is a bit of a workaround. If you go grab 7Zip, the file explorer in it can zip right into those locked files if you run it as administrator then you won't have to dirty up your permissions to get in there

@AHall1983 said in 180GB HELD HOSTAGE BY THIS GAME:

Just an FYI on removing the extra files, if you don't want to change permissions (and honestly you should change them back for security after, which is a hassle) there is a bit of a workaround. If you go grab 7Zip, the file explorer in it can zip right into those locked files if you run it as administrator then you won't have to dirty up your permissions to get in there

if you delete the entire folder anyways (which you should do) and then reinstall the game fresh, the permissions go back anyways so no need

Hi @Kitty-Strafe-x , we're very sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing right now. And thank you everyone for the assist. Appreciate it!