Anyone know how Drop Rates work in this game? (I'm unlucky? or just farming wrong?)

Hey guys, I have a question, does anyone know how drop rates work in this game? Do you get more drops based on damage dealt? Do you get more drops based on How close you are to the mob? or if you have Aggro from the mob?

I farm with my friend who is a Fighter/Hu, and I am Bow Braver/Hu. Currently when we do the whole damage testing thing I get 1.3mil, and he gets around 3mil. When in ultimate quest he dies a lot more than me, so I figure he deals like 2-4x me. Currently I have around 176 Hours in this game, 60 or so of which have been spent in Ultimate Quests farming for Nem, and Slave weapons.

Now the reason why I ask about drop rates and if they are affected is I always run 250% + 100% Triboost (although the past little bit I've been out of 100% triboost, so I am only using 50%) + 50% premium rate + 40% Daily rate + 20-40% Party bonus, and whenever the song is up plus the premium shifta drink bonus, which puts me at a minimum of around 460%.

My friend uses the same, except hes always used 50% triboost, not 100%, and in the past he's not even used triboost, just the 250%

We basically farm together always, he has yet to farm without me besides maybe like 1 or 2 hours, and I farm without him more than he farms without me. Now here's the part that gets me.

**He has, to date, gotten around 18-20 Nemesis weapons, 1 Slave Weapon + 2 or so Gix Weapons.

I have gotten 0 Nemesis, 0 Slave, and 1 Gix.**

Is this really just RNG? Or am I farming wrong? what should I be doing to do better?

It's gotten to the point where he has around 10x the number of Mesata that I do, despite the fact we both use the same farming strategies. In fact it's so depressing, and he started to feel bad and recently offered to split profits 50/50. While he has been splitting profits with me he has gotten another 2 Nemesis drops, and 2 Gix drops. I on the other hand, have 0 of each, again.

What is going on?

Breaking parts of bosses can, besides change how it does mechanics, also increase the drop rates of certain items. Some enemies also have unique mechanics that increase the drop rate of items too, such as the Emperappy's hug.

@coldreactive said in Anyone know how Drop Rates work in this game? (I'm unlucky? or just farming wrong?):

Breaking parts of bosses can, besides change how it does mechanics, also increase the drop rates of certain items. Some enemies also have unique mechanics that increase the drop rate of items too, such as the Emperappy's hug.

But if we both are attacking the same mob we should have the same drop rate then when it comes to parts broken off of mobs.

This is no exaggeration. Between nem and slave ive hit about 20 drops to her 0. I usually use 250% +50 tri. We are kinda thinking its beyond luck at this point.

This post has my undivided attention! Well mostly undivided. I've noticed weird drop trends too and have a ton of theories... But they are just that, theories. (I should start by saying I have over 1300 hours of play time. ...Shut up. Don't judge me)

I've started to think that playing with specific people has some sort of effect on drops/chances than others, Similar(KEYWORD) to how original PSO gave you a "colored badge"(I was Whitill) completely based on how you spelled your name. And that literally determined the drop table of every enemy in original pso lol.

Ever play an Advanced quest repeatedly, but with a different group of people every few runs and notice you'll get like 3 PSE burst/Long crossbursts every game or super rare boss drops with group A.

Then another party, Group B, with similar playstyles as Group A, gets you crap. So you repeat another run with group B and it's still crap. The third run's no different.

Repeating this process over and over... It always felt that, as far as luck went, it was consistant with each certain group of people. Group A: Good luck Group B: Horrible luck Group C Horrible luck Group D Moderate luck ECT.

Annnyyyhow again, this is just a theory (I have more but this is one of my main ones/most relevant).

I'm really curious as to what others think!

I'm sure there will be the "it's RNG" guy though to ruin the fun XD

man, what a bummer, i thought someone might have had insight, or the devs would say if it was pure rng or not.

@coldreactive said in Anyone know how Drop Rates work in this game? (I'm unlucky? or just farming wrong?):

I seriously hope this some elaborate NA joke I'm not in on because it was funny when people said to not attack umbra or not break nyaus sword but I'm starting to get worried. Do people believe this and if yes who's feeding you this information.

@Big-Ol-Bimbus

It's RNG, welcome to ultra rare drops, the difference between 0.001 and 0.005 is in the great scheme of things not going to do much. The way rare drops works is somewhat understood, but for your application this does not matter that it'd have to be explained.

Most likely case, your friend or you are exaggerating, otherwise luck is still mostly dependant on luck, this hasn't changed in current year.

@Macmaxi said in Anyone know how Drop Rates work in this game? (I'm unlucky? or just farming wrong?):

I seriously hope this some elaborate NA joke I'm not in on because it was funny when people said to not attack umbra or not break nyaus sword but I'm starting to get worried. Do people believe this and if yes who's feeding you this information.

I should clarify this. I really mean: The drop rate of items pertaining to those broken parts will be shifted higher in the pool of items dropped. Meaning it's more of a higher rate of drop rate within the drop rate of items you have willing to drop in the first place.

Not breaking anything but the chest / etc. will yield a standard drop pool of items, at least this is how people think they measured it. Like, you might get a 25% Drop rate for a leg armor piece with just the chest broken, but that armor piece would be a high chance to be a low to mid-rarity drop. But the idea behind the breaking of parts, besides mechanics, is that it's meant to increase the drop rate of the higher rarity version of that piece specifically.

But if that piece doesn't drop in the first place, then breaking pieces wouldn't matter. Final Fantasy XIV actually has more than one system that works exactly like this. The major system in question is the collection system for gathering, specifically FISHING. A nested rate of spawning / gathering is just absurd, and it is mind boggling how it even works in the first place. But it does.

Example:

A fish in FFXIV has a spawn chance of let's say, 13%

In collection mode, it still has that 13% chance to spawn in the first place. Fine. But what's more is, there's a range at which the fish also has a collection value, which is a rate that occurs within the rate of gathering/spawning. Meaning within that 13% spawn rate, is another, nested, spawn rate for the appropriate range of collection you would want to turn it into an NPC for some much deserved currency.

I like how you skipped over the Emperappy part.

@Macmaxi said in Anyone know how Drop Rates work in this game? (I'm unlucky? or just farming wrong?):

I like how you skipped over the Emperappy part.

Attacking Umbra causes him to do different things before he even starts to spin around. He can attack harder too if you attack him, and he can attack faster after he stops spinning if you attack him. (Source: Gone with the Wind and Rain, my own experience with multiple people attacking, and then none at all.)

Emperappy also does different things based on who was hugged and how far a player is from it. So it's not impossible for drop rates to be affected. As an example, the emperappy will focus on hugging whoever the emperappy sees first on spawning, then after hugging them successfully, will immediately ignore that person and hug someone else until they do hug that other person.

I've also had less items drop overall when no one's been hugged. Hugging doesn't do damage either.

I want off this ride make it stop ahhh

Ok I'll bite.

1. Umbra always does same damage what you experience is variance due to dex rolls, various stages of being debanded and what not.
  2. Difference in timing is mostly related to how server communicates enemy actions to you (source: my ass)
  3. His drops never change regardless of what you do.

Same for Emperappy. What affected a variance of drops was probably your mission progress if anything

What affected a variance of drops was probably your mission progress if anything

I didn't know Abandoned Mine Expedition had "Mission Progress." Both times I had emperappy spawn were in Expeditions as well.

Most likely case, your friend or you are exaggerating, otherwise luck is still mostly dependant on luck, this hasn't changed in current year.

I really do understand your skepticism even if your sentiment is lacking in faith. It is as hard for us to believe 20 to 0 drops as much as it is for you. I can say it's true and thats the only validity I can offer.

The gap between our drops is so large on a completely random system that it is approaching lotto levels of chances. I think it would be enough for anyone to ask questions even if it comes in the form of gamblers fallacy.

@Thetimelessone That's fine, i didn't rule out that it didn't happen, if anything i think the more unlikely case in this scenario is him getting no drops, because despite what people claim the drop rate is high enough that i have a percieved an average drop rate of a weapon every 2 hours. But that's the problem with very low chances, too high variance.

I can only suggest people to make their lives easier by trying to play the market or investing time into something that is a more reliable source of money so they would be able to buy their desired weapon, at least for as long as it is still possible. It feels a little less depressing, if you always get a little bit of money out of something, rather than literally getting nothing after 5 hours or even worse, getting a Gix Gunslash that sells for 300k.

Can't cheat the drop rates, you can only choose to make your life easier and try to not make your goal depend on a very low drop chance. I've been suffering in many occassions to that problem where a game wouldn't give me an alternative. Even 20m for a Katana i consider to be a lot more humane than some of the degenerate design you see in some games and in PSO2 (in past and future iterations).

@coldreactive Pretty sure NA only has Emper in Expeditions only. Mission Progress is something that is probably tied to every Quest in one way or another, although they probably disable it for some stuff like XQ.

You can try that out by running straight for A3 and kill a boss and next run sticking around to kill stuff for 10-15 minutes (just to be sure) to see that the drops will be maxed out to what you usually expect, instead of 4 meseta rocks.

I can only provide as much anecdotal evidence as you can, but it should count for E-Trial bosses in the first two areas as well. It definitely counts for UQ (ever saw an Anga die right as you joined and were greeted with nothing at all?). I feel like some bosses might have their drops work outside from this mission progress internal counter, stuff like Apprentice in AQ seems to have a more fixed drop rate but this is al speculation which i hate to do since it's the one thing I called you out for.

In the end, we can't know for sure.