So people complained about "Falspawn" but not the removal of ALL four throwback enemy group names to PSO in Episode 1?

It had just occurred to me that the names of all four enemy groups in Episode 1 were supposed to be throwbacks to PSO, Natives, Mechs, Dragonkin and Darker. The fact that all four of these were altered to something completely different makes it look deliberate, especially when "Oceanid" went completely untouched (albeit with the "c" pronounced wrong and an "on" added in the story quests for some bizarre reason, it's oh-shawn-ed, not oh-see-on-ed).

I mean don't get me wrong, I like the names they went with in the end but it's objectively bad that they altered the original creative intent with these names.

@Mattwo7 the only reason I can think of for the change of Darkers and Natives to be Falspawn and Sylvants is simply put as: imagine picking up your client orders and in North America being told to "Subjugate the Darkers and Natives." That might rub the wrong way over here in 'Murica. I don't even remember what they changed Dragonkin to but I'm gambling on changing Mechs to "Automata" was to net style points and score some wow's with the Nier fans.

@Mattwo7 Im afraid that I dont get the reference... weren't the four enemy groups in PSO1:

• Native
  • A.Beast (which apparently stood for "Altered Beast"... nice reference)
  • Mech
  • Dark

Also @Silver , Dragonkin are "Draconian". About the change to "Automata", that was apparently a change that was also intended for the original 2013 release (portions of its terms ended up used in the SEA version).

@Leonkh99 Oh right, I forgot about the dragons in the caves being altered beasts (they got 3/4 with the locations too, the mechs are found in the desert first with the tunnels being added later). My mistake. Either way the other three still stand. Also it was Dark, not Darker. PSO2 added the "er" to the name.

@Leonkh99 said in So people complained about "Falspawn" but not the removal of ALL four throwback enemy group names to PSO in Episode 1?:

May I ask what the reference is?

Also eh. At least we didn't get Samurai, Wizard, and Fireball. 🤣

@Silver said in So people complained about "Falspawn" but not the removal of ALL four throwback enemy group names to PSO in Episode 1?:

imagine picking up your client orders and in North America being told to "Subjugate the Darkers and Natives."

I mean they probably could have re-worded that so I don't think that's the issue. Considering how slapdash the localization is, the problem was more that they weren't given time to re-word it, if it alone was the problem (which I honestly doubt).

Also

77bf0d81459f1e8f9cab403a0f040e5f.png

@Mattwo7 said in So people complained about "Falspawn" but not the removal of ALL four throwback enemy group names to PSO in Episode 1?:

@Leonkh99 Oh right, I forgot about the dragons in the caves being altered beasts (they got 2/3 with the locations too, the mechs are found in the desert first). My mistake. Either way the other three still stand. Also it was Dark, not Darker. PSO2 added the "er" to the name.

My bad, that was a typo, fixed it!

@Silver said in So people complained about "Falspawn" but not the removal of ALL four throwback enemy group names to PSO in Episode 1?:

@Leonkh99 said in So people complained about "Falspawn" but not the removal of ALL four throwback enemy group names to PSO in Episode 1?:

For the record, NOT every term in the SEA version came from the 2013 SEGA of America translation, but it was however used as a 'base' with further alterations made by AsiaSoft according to SEGA of Japan... so no, SEGA of America did not call Force "Wizard" or Monomates "Health Drink".

What little terminology was noticed in the PAX demo ended up in the SEA version. The following are some of SEGA of America's terms:

Photoner --> Lumist

Matter Board --> Paradigm Matrix

Just Attack --> Perfect Strike (PS Portable 2 did change "Just Attack" to "Perfect Attack"... which is what the 2020 translation uses)

Exploration Quest --> Patrol Quest

My Room --> My Quarters

Gulf --> Galph

Fangulf --> Phongalph

Oodan --> Woodan

Aginis --> Agnis

Digg --> Deeg

Mech --> Automata

Lillipan --> Lagomite

In addition, the following terminology is SEGA of Japan's, you can notice it as these names are used as the English titles on the Japanese Original Soundtrack:

Forest --> Greenscape

Volcanic Cave --> Cauldron

Desert --> Lost Sea

Tundra --> White Summit

Darker --> D-arker (I believe this spelling did make it ingame in Episode 4?)

Campship --> Gateship

The following is terminology which was changed when the script was altered for the South East Asian version (im only counting Episode 1 content as SEGA of America reportedly never got to work on Episode 2 so... such change would be more of a Japanese to English change by AsiaSoft):

Monomate --> Health Drink

Force --> Wizard

Oceanid --> Neptunian

Technique --> Magic

Photon Art --> Photon Moves

And so on and so on...

@Mattwo7 said in So people complained about "Falspawn" but not the removal of ALL four throwback enemy group names to PSO in Episode 1?:

@Leonkh99 Oh right, I forgot about the dragons in the caves being altered beasts (they got 2/3 with the locations too, the mechs are found in the desert first). My mistake. Either way the other three still stand. Also it was Dark, not Darker. PSO2 added the "er" to the name.

My bad, that was a typo, fixed it!

For the record, NOT every term in the SEA version came from the 2013 SEGA of America translation, but it was however used as a 'base' with further alterations made by AsiaSoft according to SEGA of Japan... so no, SEGA of America did not call Force "Wizard" or Monomates "Health Drink".

That's great, but I never said they did nor suspected as such.

Still curious about that reference you were talking about tho.

@Mattwo7 I did! I never heard of this one, but now I wanna look it up lol. Cheers for this! ❤

@Silver If you want to learn more about some of the Sega games the Phantasy Star series references as well as a few others, I suggest checking out Hi-sCoool! SeHa Girls. I'm not really a fan of Crunchyroll as a company but short of the DVDs (which I honestly wouldn't recommend buying, as while it is a love letter to avid and hardcore Sega fans, it's not that great of a show tbh), that's the only place I know you can find the official subtitled version. The Light Novels were never released here and you'd probably miss all the references in the Neptunia crossover game.

@Mattwo7 I've heard of Neptunia. Aside from the few Sonic games here and there that were kinda fun, I'm mostly just a massive Phantasy Star phanatic. ❤ But if it's related, I'll totally look into it!

@Silver No, not Neptunia, Sega Hard Girls. I'm just mentioning the Neptunia crossover because it's the only other Sega Hard Girls media released in the west (and the only time the girls got an English dub no less)

But if it's related

039da06c8fe49b315b5989311e919ba6.png

Also an AC scratch based on the crossover game which features the Sega Hard Girls as shoulder-riding and head-riding accessories and room decorations http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-ac-scratch-mega-dimension-heroines/

And another with an outfit and hair based on Sega Hard Girl Dreamcast along with her controller head accessory and sword camo http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-ac-scratch-holy-night-christmas/

Honestly I have no reason to doubt we'll be getting these ones.

Edit: On a side note, I just discovered Saturn's "Twin Sticks" are a reference to a controller accessory for Virtual On, go figure, sadly I don't think her and Mega Drive's weapons are camos... (I mean we get a book tails (Motav Prophecy, another PSO reference) but not Mega Drive's "Gold Number"?)