they need to fire the whole translation team, here's why

I see a lot of over-reacting over translation errors. I was also mislead on some skill descriptions, but it only took a few minutes to figure out what they meant. Quarantine got people in an easily triggered hissy fit?

@iamTheShape8111 said in they need to fire the whole translation team, here's why:

I see a lot of over-reacting over translation errors. I was also mislead on some skill descriptions, but it only took a few minutes to figure out what they meant. Quarantine got people in an easily triggered hissy fit?

We live in a world where something you said 17 years ago, a single word you wrote in your brick Nokia phone, will resurface into today and the horde will demand your total deletion off any public/social life or worse. So yeah, asking for the firing of a whole team, and using several threads for it, is now the new normal.

I think the one thing that chiefly gets under my skin is how the translators clearly had no PSO background in terms of localized naming conventions used prior.

For example, the 13* Unique badge double saber "Meteor Staff" is clearly the exact same weapon as Meteor Cudgel from PSO1. God Hand is now "Divine Fist", and many others like that.

Just makes it feel inconsistent from a fan service perspective.

@ZorokiHanuke Yo this is 100% FACTS! to the tea. Cancel culture has hi-jacked 2020.

I'm almost certain they have unpaid interns doing the translations.

Prove me wrong SEGA. 🙂

So the ranger/gunslinger cast's name is Risa or Lisa? Idk her name says risa but quests say lisa.

I think they was play PSO2 JP before made for NA and just want player feel similar, I think they can't find the right word for it. Just let it be, don't let the little problem destroy the whole world.

@Viola-Lance I don't believe you read any post but rather wanted to argue for the sake of arguing.

People provided a solution in the form of taking a look at what the fan translation through arks layer did and taking them.

That would literally lead them to just having to proof read if it's correct and then finally finish the rest of the translations themselves.

How is that NOT offering constructive criticism or did you just read a few lines in?

@Miraglyth That is why I said it was NEARLY spot on.

It's still a hundred times closer than what the NA team did by renaming multiple skills, wrongly translating them to the point of them being just outright lies.

Hunter sonic arrow or whatever that skill is, is a good example of it.

And why is there another thread of this open when we already have one active? Hmmm, guess OP can't use search option or can't read as it's been literally on the front page for the last 4-5 days?

Don't mind me, just getting tired of duplicate threads pop up constantly. No hard feelings.

@SleeprunnerInc said in they need to fire the whole translation team, here's why:

@Miraglyth That is why I said it was NEARLY spot on.

It's still a hundred times closer than what the NA team did by renaming multiple skills, wrongly translating them to the point of them being just outright lies.

I understand your point, but it feels like you're not holding mistakes in the fan translation to the same standard. The first of each class' two stances is not active! To me as someone who was trying to understand how stances worked, that also came across as a lie. I do know this happens less often than the NA translation (for now?) so I guess my general point is that nothing is perfect.

I haven't played on JP with Arks-Layer translation for a few years now so playing on NA, I expect the translation to refresh my memories. But after going through the story, many client orders, and class skills and photon arts of a majority of classes, I was fairly confused on a lot of it. There were certainly a lot of inconsistencies that led to confusion.

I shouldn't have to constantly have other resources open to ensure the translation is not misleading.

If they outsourced the translation work, then find a better team. If they have in-house translators, then get their shirt together and at least reinstate some consistencies.

Hey guys, we're listening to all your feedback, particularly here about the translations and we appreciate it. We'll probably let the team know about the feedback so that it would be taken consideration for future improvements, ya? 😉

@Miraglyth I can't hold them in the same standard since one is done by people working for free (Donations) and the other is doing it as a JOB (Getting paid by the hour or by work quality.) So I really cannot hold them in the same regard.

Stances were changed in EP5 rebalancing, no stance was passive before then, you had to manually turn on the current "passive" stances before that.

@HarmlessSyan said in they need to fire the whole translation team, here's why:

Stances were changed in EP5 rebalancing, no stance was passive before then, you had to manually turn on the current "passive" stances before that.

Right, so this highlights the complexity of both creating and maintaining accurate translations. A quick search tells me Episode 5 was June 2017. The skill simulator and many previous guides haven't updated their translation accordingly, so even if they did in the game (I wouldn't know) consistency was lost.

I'm trying to show this was probably a complex endeavour. Now GM Sirius expressed above that it can be fixed so it might be better if we collectively started setting up an inconsistencies list so they can forward it to Sega to fix in one fell swoop.