they need to fire the whole translation team, here's why

the translation team was just copying the fan translation from the JP version and put it together. For example, the launcher ring

alt text

see ? "weak hit advance" is the fan translation of JP version, on NA there is NO SUCH THING, it's called "advanced precision hit" . The "translation" team just pull everything from JP fan trans and put it here with some minor tweaks like changing PA names, this is pathetic they should fire this team, they steal' people work, altering it and this time they forgot to change the ring's effect. totally busted.

Fun thing... They didn't even take those translations.

If you check hans's quests, they dont even have translations.

Btw there is already a thread about the translations.

@WillfulChart930 said in they need to fire the whole translation team, here's why:

see ? "weak hit advance" is the fan translation of JP version

The JP skill name is ウィークヒットアドバンス. Google tells me that's literally U~īkuhittoadobansu, which read aloud is pretty obviously Weak Hit Advance. The fan translation didn't create that sequence of words out of thin air - it's the literal translation.

The NA translation team did mess up, but only out of failure to keep changes to skill names consistent, both with icons (all the literal gears on icons for skills now called Focus) and with terminology (some skills are still called "JA Bonus" despite Just Attack being renamed to Perfect Attack).

Sadly that is a common occurrence in text-heavy games with complex systems, and Phantasy Star's online titles have been hit by it before. You'd hope such a translation effort would make a dedicated list of key term changes to help keep the all aligned but fortunately for the most part it's only temporarily confusing.

A suggestion or bug report feedback item should allow the description of this ring to be brought into line easily enough. 👍

"Gods be operative."

With Pietro, one of the quests uses "Shinkuro" instead of Synchro.

I didn't use tweaker on JP but I heard their translations are better than what NA has.

You can change the language settings before ship selection, I tried out JP and all the original text are still there - full item/quest descriptions in JP

What makes this particular problem even worse is that I Google and read up on and search the game for that same skill. The naming being used in multiple conversations/threads/forums was over years, so trying to find information that matched in the last couple of months was ultra frustrating.

Even up to now there are so many people that played on JP servers they still call a skill "weak bullet", when it's not in the NA version at all. I only learned last week that it's actually blight rounds. 😠😠😠 Even better, blight rounds as I've read so many times was associated to launchers. However when I turn on a launcher it doesn't show as usable, it only shows for assault rifles!?!? Yeah.. just wonky.

PS - pso2iwubyou

@Miraglyth It's more then messed up. There's errors left and right my dude.

Whatever it's spelled like in Japanese I don't care. I waited for English to play in English. Don't want a fan translation that think they can dictate this game dictionary either.

Devs handling translation need to get seriously at work and fixing this lengthy mess.

Hmm. Interesting to see even here rando obscure players calling for people's livelihoods, careers and jobs to be tossed out the window for minuscule reasons. Especially interesting, is it is from those, who barely articulate, let alone translate their own thoughts grammatically. I for one, hope that these requests get returned to sender ten fold.

@Pulptenks It's funny cause the Fan translation is the best and literal translation that anyone can accept.

Heck even a Japanese born person who knows english well would say that the fan translation is nearly spot on.

If I could, I would make a finnish translation but I would need to know Japanese so I don't BUTCHER the whole thing.

Heck some of the skills we have are outright lies.

For the sword arts for example, there's the sonic arrow which in our translation says that you fire YOURSELF when the fan translation says you fire sword arcs and guess which one is correct?

The fan translation.

@Viola-Lance Honestly you get paid for what you do.

And the translation team did jack diddly squat so they should not even get paid for this work or at the very least get a massive pay docking till they fix their ridiculous failures.

They could have just nabbed the ARks layer translations and used those and then translated the rest and it would have been fine.

@SleeprunnerInc said in they need to fire the whole translation team, here's why:

@Pulptenks It's funny cause the Fan translation is the best and literal translation that anyone can accept.

Heck even a Japanese born person who knows english well would say that the fan translation is nearly spot on.

If I could, I would make a finnish translation but I would need to know Japanese so I don't BUTCHER the whole thing.

Heck some of the skills we have are outright lies.

For the sword arts for example, there's the sonic arrow which in our translation says that you fire YOURSELF when the fan translation says you fire sword arcs and guess which one is correct?

The fan translation.

@Viola-Lance Honestly you get paid for what you do.

And the translation team did jack diddly squat so they should not even get paid for this work or at the very least get a massive pay docking till they fix their ridiculous failures.

They could have just nabbed the ARks layer translations and used those and then translated the rest and it would have been fine. As I said; hopefully, it gets returned to sender ten fold.

Trying to make a minor annoyance such as translation errors that can be easily figured out by basic knowledge to be treated as the end all of everything is rather ridiculous. More so to call for, wishing for and demanding that they have their livelihood completely rearranged and possibly destroyed for random insignificant gamers. Especially ones who do not even provide plausible solutions to make it easier and more accurate with their complaints.

@Viola-Lance said in they need to fire the whole translation team, here's why:

Trying to make a minor annoyance such as translation errors that can be easily figured out by basic knowledge to be treated as the end all of everything is rather ridiculous. More so to call for, wishing for and demanding that they have their livelihood completely rearranged and possibly destroyed for random insignificant gamers. Especially ones who do not even provide plausible solutions to make it easier and more accurate with their complaints.

Just reading the comments in this thread, I believe the consensuses here is that people want a more direct translation like what ARKS-layer did with the tweaker on JP.

The whole renaming skill names and having different names for it on different description is confusing especially for new players. While it is "basic knowledge" for people that played JP version is not for everyone. I think the Weak Bullet vs Blight Rounds is a good example where people can get confused.

Edit: While I also do believe calling for people to be fired is an over reaction, you can't really blame people wanting actual translation - especially for items/quests where there is basically no translation to EN.

@HarmlessSyan said in they need to fire the whole translation team, here's why:

@Viola-Lance said in they need to fire the whole translation team, here's why:

Just reading the comments in this thread, I believe the consensuses here is that people want a more direct translation like what ARKS-layer did with the tweaker on JP.

The whole renaming skill names and having different names for it on different description is confusing especially for new players. While it is "basic knowledge" for people that played JP version is not for everyone. I think the Weak Bullet vs Blight Rounds is a good example where people can get confused.

Understandable on how it can confuse others. Including why it is an annoyance. Although... simply suggesting the final tier of disciplinary actions for said annoyance without providing constructive feedback and solutions is pure arrogance and foolish.

Yes, there are translation errors. Seen three other threads on it. Not one poster so far has been, nor is offering how to propose a fix to make it more accurate and understandable (despite the hundreds to thousands of programs available to the world market that can fix this minor annoyance.) Just meme level complaints on how it is fan or not and that the team involved needs to be fired.

@Viola-Lance

I do agree with you, first. Second I don't think it's as literal as all of these people lose their jobs whatever they may be, I think it's more just replace that team with another. Anything beyond that is uncivilized.

At the very least, hopefully there's an effort to edit some of these entries. At this point it's just text in the interface that needs to change. I'm not trying to be an armchair quarterback in terms of whatever it may take because bureaucracy and inefficiency exists everywhere..just would be nice it it was handled.

Lastly, I keep a Evernote with links to the various sources of information about this game and it is truly enormous effort. without the players that know the game very well and have been playing for years who would know how these subclasses even connect? At this point I don't even care about the subtleties, just tell me what's the best for max damage, and that's it. (For ex.).

Cheers

@SleeprunnerInc said in they need to fire the whole translation team, here's why:

the fan translation is nearly spot on.

I will say that translation of stances initially misled me. To call them both active implies that you still need to use them. What the NA translation did by calling the first one passive and the second one active but disables the first is much closer to how they really work.