2FA Option?

Hi! : -) So, with so many cyber incidents/data leaks happening I was wondering if an option for 2FA could be implemented for the client! I haven't given much thought as to how this would work out for xbox players since I personally play on PC, but the option would be nice! I was also wondering if this option could be considered for forum accounts as well?

Since we're using our xbox/microsoft accounts to log in, would you say these accounts are secure enough to warrant 2FA to be deemed unnecessary in this case?

There's going to be a third-party anti-cheat software the game will be using. (PSO2 JP uses it after all.) (Despite this, bots/hackers will still be able to get in game, no doubt about it.)

@Zelkova said in 2FA Option?:

Hi! : -) So, with so many cyber incidents/data leaks happening I was wondering if an option for 2FA could be implemented for the client! I haven't given much thought as to how this would work out for xbox players since I personally play on PC, but the option would be nice! I was also wondering if this option could be considered for forum accounts as well?

Since we're using our xbox/microsoft accounts to log in, would you say these accounts are secure enough to warrant 2FA to be deemed unnecessary in this case?

If I remember correctly, if you try to login somewhere Microsoft doesn't recognize it snags you until you can verify yourself.

@Rzarcasm said in 2FA Option?:

If I remember correctly, if you try to login somewhere Microsoft doesn't recognize it snags you until you can verify yourself.

Steam version probably won't require a Microsoft login. But both Windows Store and Xbox versions will, obviously. The Microsoft account can have 2FA enabled.

@coldreactive said in 2FA Option?:

Steam version probably won't require a Microsoft login. But both Windows Store and Xbox versions will, obviously. The Microsoft account can have 2FA enabled.

Yep!

There's going to be a third-party anti-cheat software the game will be using. (PSO2 JP uses it after all.) (Despite this, bots/hackers will still be able to get in game, no doubt about it.)

2FA has nothing to do with exploiting the game. This is for login purposes.

Yep! Too bad Phishing users usually use bots so they can easily make new accounts/characters. Like in FFXIV, despite it having 2FA, people still fall for it ^^;

Yep! Too bad Phishing users usually use bots so they can easily make new accounts/characters. Like in FFXIV, despite it having 2FA, people still fall for it ^^;

Oh yeah, forgot about those pesky things. Well, hopefully they have good mechanisms in place for things like this.

True, but I've never had 2FA for my auxillary MS accounts. (Ex. Xbox, Mixer, Etc.) Typically 2FA is only enabled for the actual email account, not for anything else. Maybe it's unnecessary, but the extra layer of security would be nice. : -)

True, but I've never had 2FA for my auxillary MS accounts. (Ex. Xbox, Mixer, Etc.) Typically 2FA is only enabled for the actual email account, not for anything else. Maybe it's unnecessary, but the extra layer of security would be nice. : -)

This is something that I will look into soon, I am curious as well. I totally agree, safeguarding your account is a must. It makes you feel more secure when buying in game content too.

This is something that I will look into soon, I am curious as well. I totally agree, safeguarding your account is a must. It makes you feel more secure when buying in game content too.

After talking with one of my Microsoft buddies, they did confirm that it is automatically enabled on every account email or not. I also tried connecting to my account from Japan, France, and Poland and I received a 2 factor authentication message. protect.png

If ever there are other ways to login, I think it will be considered for the client and website. In the Japanese version they give you extra storage for enabling the 2 factor authentication.

After talking with one of my Microsoft buddies, they did confirm that it is automatically enabled on every account email or not. I also tried connecting to my account from Japan, France, and Poland and I received a 2 factor authentication message. protect.png

If ever there is other ways to login, I think it will be considered for the client and website. In the Japanese version they give you extra storage for enabling the 2 factor authentication.

Oh awesome! That's great to know! : -) I can't say I'm personally a fan of having to use a MS account to log in, but since we can only speculate whether or not we'll get alternative login methods, hopefully it'll be up for consideration along with them!

Thanks for looking into that! : -)

Oh awesome! That's great to know! : -) I can't say I'm personally a fan of having to use a MS account to log in, but since we can only speculate whether or not we'll get alternative login methods, hopefully it'll be up for consideration along with them!

Thanks for looking into that! : -)

I was kinda expecting something like SEGA ID, that would have been great, but since there is no backend like that I think it will all be separate for each platform. Who knows? Hopefully something good. No problem! 🙂

+1 to Zelkova's suggestion. I also generally enjoy when an extra in-game item or service is offered as incentive for activating 2FA since it's an easy reward for doing a common-sense action~