DO NOT RELEASE EXPERT GROUPING ON NA! Instead do this..

The Expert grouping system on Japans servers is fundamentally flawed and broken in its design, encouraging elitism instead of helping players find other players who meet their specific expectations.

FFXIV has a far, FAR better tool for grouping, known simply as party finder. this easy tool allows ANY player to set their own expectations for forming their own groups. Is some elitist idiot expecting ridiculous things? leave him to wait forever for anyone to join, and form your own, more realistic group.

Copy the FFXIV party finder as best you can, do not repeat the mistake of expert grouping.

I'm not sure if expert grouping was around before I stopped playing JP. What is it and why is it so bad?

The way the system works is that there are certain titles you must obtain to be considered an "expert." When matching for a quest, you can choose to match only with other players who have met the expert requirement.

The specific requirement varies and is updated as the game goes on. When the system started, the requirement was simply "equip 3 12* units that have been ground to +10" which was simple, but would weed out players who didn't bother to upgrade their gear.

Since then, the requirements have been getting increasingly strict. The latest requires you to complete 2 fairly difficult solo quests with an S-Rank. Some classes have a very difficult time with this requirement.

@Xurai said in DO NOT RELEASE EXPERT GROUPING ON NA! Instead do this..:

I'm not sure if expert grouping was around before I stopped playing JP. What is it and why is it so bad?

As explained to me, it is an option for forming groups that only allows people with specific achievements/titles to join at all. the titles also become harder and harder to qualify for expert grouping the more updates happen.

FFXIV party finder is objectively superior in every way for setting expectations for a group. with that tool, any player can form their own party with custom expectations from accepting ANYONE to slight requirements to "OMG KNOW EVERYTHING AND DO A BILLION DPS OR KICK"

with the FFXIV system, people who are left out of the elitist parties with stupid expectations just form their own more realistic groups.

Expert Grouping is a super half assed measure which only makes things worse in comparison.

I've yet to experience any content that's made me go "man I wish I had better randoms" to clear this. Not that a grouping system is necessary, I guess we'll see how difficult things may get as more episodes are released, but I can't really give an opinion on their current expert grouping system.

At the very least, at least it would only divide the playerbase into 2 groups, those who have it, and those who don't. This would mean those who are dedicated to putting additional effort into obtaining these titles would be matched with like-minded players as opposed to those who "leech" or are more casual. From that perspective, I don't see an issue with it.

Is there an eta for when NA will receive this expert grouping system?

ps. It might also be worth noting that I've personally never encountered these elitist players in game, whether it was on JP or NA. The PSO community has always been the most friendly randoms I've bumped into.

@Ilúvatar "Some classes have a very difficult time with this requirement." - I don't know about that. Since the current expert requirements have been implemented, we've gained hugely powerful tiers of gear (and even gained a new difficulty level, Ultra Hard) - so being tasked with clearing two Extra Hard quests, with even baseline15* weapons (which were recently buffed, I might add) isn't exceptionally difficult provided you have a grasp of your class's invincibility/guard frames and understand which situations to use your various offensive options in.

And, well, at the end of the day it's entirely optional. You can just not get expert, and you are still able to queue up for all of the same content, just in non-expert queue.

Most importantly, you don't actually expect Sega JP (who's clearly running the show on PSO2 NA) to create a new party finder system unique to the NA release, right? This game has been out for 8 years and they've not created such a thing yet, I'm quite doubtful they would choose to do so now.

No I expect Sega JP to delete the old system from JP too once they finish the superior NA system. that half assed excuse for a system can only make things worse instead of better.

Why make such a garbage system when by that time Square Enix had created something so much better they could simply copy? SE does not keep their PF mechanics a secret. it would not be a problem.

@ZeeHero9271 said in DO NOT RELEASE EXPERT GROUPING ON NA! Instead do this..:

No I expect Sega JP to delete the old system from JP too once they finish the superior NA system. that half assed excuse for a system can only make things worse instead of better.

You're delusional if you think that's ever happening. Expert is there to stay for JP and it's going to come to NA eventually whether you like it or not.

Why make such a garbage system when by that time Square Enix had created something so much better they could simply copy? SE does not keep their PF mechanics a secret. it would not be a problem.

Because they're not even the same sort of games? What works in one isn't gonna work in the other.

There is nothing fundamentally broken in expert requirement, it's a bit unfair for less solo and DPS oriented classes but the leeway is too big to really blame failing it all on your class. More baffling thing is that you need it to match to better groups in UQs that are all failure proof outside of tower defense, so generally for most part expert has just been used to spend less time playing UQs outside of maybe securing the state of your TD runs and greater score = drops on Armada. First experts had the problem of being too easy, which meant anyone not playing expert was likely to match with real bottom of the barrel players which is where the stories of non expert MPAs come from. Newer requirements at release did a more mindful split of 20/80 then about 30/70 but now I guess it should be about 40 or even maybe 50/50, which makes sure that the worse group of players doesn't have just the absolutely clueless. This also means that nonexpert quality is decent enough.

They are about as good of a solution to idiotic problems with UQs as it gets, since party finding and choosing isn't something that would mesh well with UQs where you're supposed to jump into them at :00 and then immediately retry once completed.

I don't even get what people are so afraid of. Expert or non-expert, UQ's are getting cleared. In half a year, most people who stopped caring will leave and PSO2 isn't the most beginner-friendly game so it will probably never attract many new players beyond the initial rush. The players will get at least average at the game and you wont need more than average players to clear UQ's, so it doesn't really matter who joins your party.

I disagree, bring the expert system as is.

Expert matching isn't about elitism, it is an easy option that allows matching into faster groups (or more consistent groups later on).

Expert requirements are very lenient for anyone who knows how to play the game, so it is their choice to participate or not.

@Kos Except this feature works equally well in both games? becuase both games have group content. Doesnt take a genius to understand.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in DO NOT RELEASE EXPERT GROUPING ON NA! Instead do this..:

I disagree, bring the expert system as is.

Expert matching isn't about elitism, it is an easy option that allows matching into faster groups (or more consistent groups later on).

Expert requirements are very lenient for anyone who knows how to play the game, so it is their choice to participate or not.

+1

If Expert is taken out of the game, it just means that people are going to stick with friends/alliances, which still means pugs are going to have a shit time if there are blatant leeches in there. Expert, for the most part, removes said leeches. This isn't 100% always the case, but removing a system that has been around for years will upset players, especially when it comes to clearing content.

@ZeeHero9271 said in DO NOT RELEASE EXPERT GROUPING ON NA! Instead do this..:

@Kos Except this feature works equally well in both games? becuase both games have group content. Doesnt take a genius to understand.

And anyone with a brain would also understand that the group content in this game doesn't work the same way it does in another. You can't just take a system from one and patch it in and expect it to work as flawlessly as you think it will. That system would especially not work well for UQs.