Tip for console/controller players and binding weapon action (using paddles)

I did this with an elite controller but I imagine you can do it with any controller that has paddles. Since weapon action takes up a Photon Art spot on your weapon, I was trying to figure out how to get around it.

In-game, I mapped the "Select" button to weapon action. This, of course, removes your ability to access the quick menu (more on that later). After that, you can map "Select" to a back paddle on your controller. Now you can use the weapon action while freeing up space for an additional photon art.

You can map buttons for when in OTS mode. You can re-map the quick menu to "select" there. So whenever you want to access the quick menu, you zoom in and press select. A minor hindrance to be able to free up a spot for another photon art IMO.

Having Weapon Action in Back/Select seems a little cumbersome since you have to take your thumb off the control stick, which is not necessarily conducive for Weapon Actions like TMG where you need to input a direction. Personally, this is how I have it set up:

• LT : Weapon Action
  • LB: Lock-on
  • L3: Back Palette (on a paddle)
  • RT: Dodge
  • RB: PA3
  • R3: Use Subpalette (on a paddle)
  • Y : PA2 (also on a paddle for OTS)
  • X : PA1 (also on a paddle for OTS)
  • A : Jump
  • B : Pick-up

And before I had the paddles, I actually had L3 as Lock-on and LB as Back Palette, and it also worked quite well.

If Steam controller were a bit sturdier and not break by just looking at them (AND if they were still on production, kek), it would have been the perfect controller for this game.

I'm on a standard xb1 controller with a third party battery that has worked like a dream so far. I may start looking into the official MS chatpad, but I worry it may make the thing too heavy. Having a chatpad gives access to pretty much all of your subpalette and of course, chat, on the palm of your hand, and an xb1 regular controller+chatpad is actually a bit less expensive than a vanilla Elite pad. But again, that weight...

@ZorokiHanuke Just something to be aware of with the official chatpad, from what I have researched, you cannot hold down keys, so you cannot charge Techs or hold Photon Blasts from the subpalette using one. I have a cheap, $15 one that is technically just a normal wireless USB mini-keyboard that draws power directly from the controller, and it works just fine for quick command use (and the plastic is cheap, so it ends up being really light).

@AndrlCh said in Tip for console/controller players and binding weapon action (using paddles):

@ZorokiHanuke Just something to be aware of with the official chatpad, from what I have researched, you cannot hold down keys, so you cannot charge Techs or hold Photon Blasts from the subpalette using one. I have a cheap, $15 one that is technically just a normal wireless USB mini-keyboard that draws power directly from the controller, and it works just fine for quick command use (and the plastic is cheap, so it ends up being really light).

Then that's one point against it. I do have some things in my sub palette that need the button to be held. Like resta and shifta. Wonder why they didn't add hold support on that kb.

@AndrlCh said in Tip for console/controller players and binding weapon action (using paddles):

Yeah idk why it's like that. You can hold it down on pso2 on PS4

@ZorokiHanuke @redPG Honestly, it probably has something to do with the way that the way the official chatpad is recognized as a distinct accessory rather than as a keyboard.

Knockoff chatpads, like the one I have, are simply recognized as regular wireless usb keyboards (since they technically are, with their own dongle and all), so they behave like normal keyboards, and you can hold down keys with no issue both on an XBox and PC.

@ZorokiHanuke @redPG Honestly, it probably has something to do with the way that the way the official chatpad is recognized as a distinct accessory rather than as a keyboard.

Knockoff chatpads, like the one I have, are simply recognized as regular wireless usb keyboards (since they technically are, with their own dongle and all), so they behave like normal keyboards, and you can hold down keys with no issue both on an XBox and PC.

Most likely this, since the official chatpad is "operated" by the xbox accessories app and shares the wireless dongle with the controller from what I saw in the description, even though said controller has Bluetooth compatibility (which is what I'm using right now on mine). Then again, you can hold a controller button. So I really can't find any reason why it couldn't be done for the chatpad.

I used Xbox elite 2 with 3rd party software to bind the keys.

So aside from regular controls, I have back btns bind for shift function. back btn1 is remapping face btns (XYAB) to swap weapon 1 - 4, RB RT for 5 - 6. DPAD to swap palette. back btn2 is remapping face btns (XYAB) to palette actions 1 - 4, RT 5. back btn3 is remapping face btns (XYAB) to palette actions 6 - 9, RT 0. back btn4 is remapped to zoom out the camera (to force camera zoom back to the character when my character flys out of the screen, ppl who plays fighter/bouncer knows what I am talking about lol...)

This controller setup is better than keypad I used to use. However it does requires 3rd party remap software. It's a shame for a such basic function, this game does not offer ingame.

@Ash-Lv1 Yeah. One of the good things about having an Elite. I used to map stuff on Steam. I started with a Steam controller, but later on I started mapping on my regular xb1 gamepad. I managed to get fair results on most MMOs I played by using those features, even for games not on Steam.

@ZorokiHanuke said in Tip for console/controller players and binding weapon action (using paddles):

@Ash-Lv1 Yeah. One of the good things about having an Elite. I used to map stuff on Steam. I started with a Steam controller, but later on I started mapping on my regular xb1 gamepad. I managed to get fair results on most MMOs I played by using those features, even for games not on Steam.

actually I think there r a few cheap alternatives (like powera switch pro controller) with back btns. Not sure about third party support though.

@Ash-Lv1 The two things I liked about the Steam controller were the track pad that gave me a bit more accuracy and precision than a stick (though still way less than an actual mouse) and the perfect position of the grip buttons. Those back buttons were exactly where your hands would be holding the controller so you just needed to press downwards without having to move your fingers anywhere else. The rest of the controller, though, wasn't as optimal, and that was a shame.

@ZorokiHanuke said in Tip for console/controller players and binding weapon action (using paddles):

@Ash-Lv1 The two things I liked about the Steam controller were the track pad that gave me a bit more accuracy and precision than a stick (though still way less than an actual mouse) and the perfect position of the grip buttons. Those back buttons were exactly where your hands would be holding the controller so you just needed to press downwards without having to move your fingers anywhere else. The rest of the controller, though, wasn't as optimal, and that was a shame.

I want steam controller...but unfortunately they cost more than an elite controller in Canada XD... I can imagine what I would do with that many freedom lol.

@Ash-Lv1 Don't bother. Not only it breaks extremely easily (I have two broken ones right now at home), Valve also stopped making them. So getting one in working condition will be hard very soon. Now I DID hear somewhere that Valve might make and sell another controller in the future. But I have zero info about that right now.

Having Weapon Action in Back/Select seems a little cumbersome since you have to take your thumb off the control stick, which is not necessarily conducive for Weapon Actions like TMG where you need to input a direction. Personally, this is how I have it set up:

• LT : Weapon Action
  • LB: Lock-on
  • L3: Back Palette (on a paddle)
  • RT: Dodge
  • RB: PA3
  • R3: Use Subpalette (on a paddle)
  • Y : PA2 (also on a paddle for OTS)
  • X : PA1 (also on a paddle for OTS)
  • A : Jump
  • B : Pick-up

And before I had the paddles, I actually had L3 as Lock-on and LB as Back Palette, and it also worked quite well.

This is why I mentioned that you should then re-map select to a paddle. Then you can do weapon action without taking your thumb off the control stick.