Controls are terrible

Game's been out for 8 years and the controls are still terrible. No matter if you play with keyboard or controller.

This game was built around a controller, but it's terrible to use with sub-palette. I have to stop moving look down at the bar figure out where my item highlight is and spam the d-pad all the way over to whatever item (usually moon atomizer at the end of my bar) i want. How is it this game never got controller configuration updates? Can't use modifier buttons like right trigger hold. The 2nd attack palette get a modifier button. Monster Hunter has a great controller setup and came out in 2004!

Then there's keyboard. Now I can click a corresponding key to whatever skill is on my sub-palette, but now going through menu's designed for a controller is god awful.

It just boggles my mind that the Japanese have been playing for 8years like this. I guess they learnt to adapt. Seriously though take a page from Monster Hunter and FFXIV. And yes I know I will prob have to download some 3rd party program to config stuff, but feels bad for those xbox players.

You're kind of dumb if you can't figure out control. That's a you problem. Game is fine. You just nitpicking on something you don't like. Both Monster Hunter and FFXIV are slow paced games. So you must be a slow person.

Lul the controls are actually pretty great and intuitive. It makes the combat fun...I have no idea what you are talking about.

@Pulptenks

@Pulptenks said in Controls are terrible:

You're kind of dumb if you can't figure out control. That's a you problem. Game is fine. You just nitpicking on something you don't like. Both Monster Hunter and FFXIV are slow paced games. So you must be a slow person.

I'm pretty sure "fast paced game" and multiple button click that require you to take your thumb off of the left stick to select items kinda breaks that.

You can at least switch sub palettes with 7 to 9 on the numpad, that's the fastest I've been able to see to do that.

I've seen and used control schemes that utilize triggers and bumpers as switches for the front buttons, not so different from the current L trigger switching. Through this method, the front x,y,a,b buttons can be mapped to a total of 20 actions. Add joystick click for a grand total of 22, and you get pretty much a MMO palette's worth of actions in just a few buttons. Basically they could have made it so the whole sub palette could be mapped to the controller without having to use the d-pad to move around looking for something while in the middle of combat.

Now, as a tip. If you don't mind using your KB a bit while still using the control pad as main, go to options>control settings>primary control device, and set your control type to "keyboard & mouse". This will allow you to use the regular 1to 0 keys to directly access your sub palette while still being able to use your control pad, and switch weapons with the numpad. Normally, if you select "controller" as primary type, pretty much any KB key will open up the chat window. But selecting kb/m instead, you need to press the enter key before you can chat. Also, if you miss the controller button icons on the hud instead of kb/m stuff, select "Letters" in options>control settings>control display type.

@ZorokiHanuke said in Controls are terrible:

I've seen and used control schemes that utilize triggers and bumpers as switches for the front buttons, not so different from the current L trigger switching. Through this method, the front x,y,a,b buttons can be mapped to a total of 20 actions. Add joystick click for a grand total of 22, and you get pretty much a MMO palette's worth of actions in just a few buttons. Basically they could have made it so the whole sub palette could be mapped to the controller without having to use the d-pad to move around looking for something while in the middle of combat.

Now, as a tip. If you don't mind using your KB a bit while still using the control pad as main, go to options>control settings>primary control device, and set your control type to "keyboard & mouse". This will allow you to use the regular 1to 0 keys to directly access your sub palette while still being able to use your control pad, and switch weapons with the numpad. Normally, if you select "controller" as primary type, pretty much any KB key will open up the chat window. But selecting kb/m instead, you need to press the enter key before you can chat. Also, if you miss the controller button icons on the hud instead of kb/m stuff, select "Letters" in options>control settings>control display type.

Ya, the bumper switches would make all the difference. Using the keyboard to supplement controls works fine. Just wish there were more control options.

I use my PS4 controller and I have awesome controls inputs. I prefer using controlers for PC games that support them. Using a Mouse you have to spend so much energy swiping it around the mousepad and keyboard so much buttons to focus onto. And of course you have to sit in a chair in correct position to have a healthy back and neck.

Gonna say Monster Hunter is faster paced than this game. Dying in that game is a lot more detrimental, easier, and comes with real consequences, unlike anything available to us so far in PSO2.

0 problem with mouse and keyboard.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Controls are terrible:

Gonna say Monster Hunter is faster paced than this game.

No, it really is not.

@ZorokiHanuke said in Controls are terrible:

Normally, if you select "controller" as primary type, pretty much any KB key will open up the chat window. But selecting kb/m instead, you need to press the enter key before you can chat.

You can use controller without instant chat. The Scroll Lock key toggles "direct chat" which is where the keyboard is used as chat instead of hotkeys.

The main differences I find with KB+M and controller is that controller keeps a cursor on the screen to allow you to click other people for easy party invites, look breakdowns etc. Meanwhile KB+M has the mouse control look direction and in over-the-shoulder mode allows the mouse to aim TPS style, but you lose the cursor and the only way I've found to click people directly is to first open a menu.

@Pulptenks how exactly is this game faster paced?

The boss fights are scripted into phases that include significant periods of just waiting for the next attack to iframe through.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Controls are terrible:

@Pulptenks how exactly is this game faster paced? The boss fights are scripted into phases that include significant periods of just waiting for the next attack to iframe through.

If you seriously asking this, then I will just make do the more then correct sounding assumption that you've never played Monster Hunter.

@Pulptenks through your lack of offering any reasoning to anything you post, I am going to assume you just take the fanboy reasoning for everything.