Blocks and Party Instances

Having quest instances bound to the lobby they were created in worked in PSO1 and PSU because there was only ever 1 party of players involved with any given quest, and all quests were available at all times of the day. But now that PSO2 has the multi-party system, as well as the time-limited Urgent Quest system, it has exposed some critical problems with the block/lobby system.

To clear an Urgent Quest in the ideal amount of time, or reach the ideal score for the quest when it's time expires, You generally want to have the highest number of players the quest will allow; which can sometimes be an issue when everybody slams the "quest start" button at the same time when an Urgent Quest begins and you pull the short straw and land in a 5/12 multiparty.

The multi-block matching option serves as a bandage fix for the situation, but Premium Block Space (it wasn't available in closed beta, but it sounds like that'll be on it's way eventually) presents a wrench in that system, since a premium player could multi-block match into a 4/12 group in a block that has ran into premium space, and the other players still looking for a group don't have premium, so they'll never get matched into your multiparty.

I know this isn't really much of anything that anybody can really do about at this point; but I feel like pso2 has encountered many issues with the negative interactions between having quest instances bound to the lobby instances they were created in and other game systems. Most of those issues wound up being dealt with in roundabout ways (see: needing a Ranger in your 12 player group back when they first released the Magatsu Urgent Quest on the JP server leading to them having to reduce boss hp across the board and reduce the effects of one of Ranger's most important class skills, since they knew they had no way to guarantee that they could match a ranger into any given multiparty) but I just saw the closest thing I've ever had to an official channel I could vent this frustration into without having to ask somebody to translate my text so here we are.

tl;dr: having the lobby channels are nice and all, but I wish party instances weren't bound to the lobby channel they were made in. but there's probably nothing that can be done about it at this point.

@NextTime000 There is the option to join party instances from any block, it's actually the default option, so you will provably end in a different block once you choose a mission.

@landman this fixes little since if a block is full you can't join it and if you open a trigger quest (which uses rare/expensive consumable items) with a lobby filled with AFK/Uninterested people, you're out of luck.

@Cathy I think you are talking about the "join party" option. I'm talking about the game putting you in the same multiparty as other parties automatically if you select the same mission, unless you specifically choose the option to stay in the same block and not join the instance. The default "start mission" option (at least in JP) moves the entire party to the campship, in a block where another party is doing the same mission (and there is space in the block, AND enough free slots in the instance).

I would not use a trigger quest unless I had a party, expecting others to join a mission that's item restricted to any random day and time is too much to ask for. Either recruit people on the lobby or ask your alliance and friends. Even a forum post would be better than expecting people to join you in the campship on a trigger quest.

@landman that still falls prey to the block limit. You can have a 9/12 party on a full block and a 3/12 party on an empty block but the smaller party can't join nor do they have enough people to attempt the quest alone. Similarly 9/12 is "too full" to attempt block hopping in hopes of trying to find a better MPA.

I'm not talking about random days, I had triggers die like that during PSO2 Days.

This all could've been avoided if Quest instances were separated from the Blocks themselves. Then you can view All parties from all blocks, join regardless of Block population and you can join triggers regardless where you are. The only reason this block format exists in the first place is to not make lobbies too crowded but this issue doesn't apply to Instanced content and is probably a leftover of old game design that didn't get thought through once the MPA-concept was introduced.

@Cathy said in Blocks and Party Instances:

@landman that still falls prey to the block limit. You can have a 9/12 party on a full block and a 3/12 party on an empty block but the smaller party can't join nor do they have enough people to attempt the quest alone. Similarly 9/12 is "too full" to attempt block hopping in hopes of trying to find a better MPA.

If that happens try again, I doubt you are the only other two incomplete multiparty in all the ship, I've never had the message appear when starting the mission, maybe i was lucky, I always thought the game made sure I could join that instance considering all other factors.

@landman Im a EU player so low population on any block except 1 full block is something im used to. This probably wont be as bad on NA servers, simply due to different time zones, but anything that isn't making instanced content detached from the Block system is just a band aid and not a solution.

@Cathy I'm also from EU, and Japanese prime time is our early afternoons, and contrary to what some may think, Ship 2 still has more Japanese players than foreigners. In fact, unless you are purely nocturnal, San Francisco time is more annoying to me, and the beta Urgent Quests at 4 am were a good example.

@landman yes, too bad i'm not home till evening which is around 2 in the morning for JP players and most NA players arent playing yet because they have jobs.