Windows 10 2004 and PSO2

At this point I've made a backup and deleted WUAUENG from my system32 folder. WIthout this file, Windows Update is completely nonfunctional until I restore the file on my schedule. This also has the added side effect of preventing the MS Store nuking PSO2 issue. I won't have Microsoft force surprise shove it down my computer's throat with how many issues there have been.

@PrinceBrightstar This is one of the prime issues why I'm starting to strongly believe gamers as a whole should start bugging companies to begin finally moving to platforms other than Windows. I'm not on Linux yet, but I hear that they are more than ready to welcome companies willing to make more stable games for that OS. Microsoft still has a very strong arm in PC gaming, so it is really up for gamers to send the clear message that either Windows gets fixed, or other solutions would be found...

In the end, it's a case of people willing to do some change.

@ZorokiHanuke said in Windows 10 2004 and PSO2:

@PrinceBrightstar This is one of the prime issues why I'm starting to strongly believe gamers as a whole should start bugging companies to begin finally moving to platforms other than Windows. I'm not on Linux yet, but I hear that they are more than ready to welcome companies willing to make more stable games for that OS. Microsoft still has a very strong arm in PC gaming, so it is really up for gamers to send the clear message that either Windows gets fixed, or other solutions would be found...

In the end, it's a case of people willing to do some change.

There was , For a time Linux Users could use the Steam Platform to play 95% of the games within steam, Sadly though Linux decided to drop 32 bit support, That killed it. Go figure, and just when I was inclined to try out a Linux based gaming system. Yet, funny enough MS has even borrowed some elements of Linux to run their own platforms.

@ZorokiHanuke I am running Win10Pro 2004 without an issue, but I found installing from the MS Store to be pointless. I went Tweaker as the first time I did install using the MS Store fragged my OS and lead to a full OS Reinstall.

Also, the update to 2004 has fixed and put back most of what was broken/removed with the initial release. So that's a plus.

I would recommend against installing Phantasy Star Online 2 on any build of windows due to the ignoring of Windows 10 App store guidelines. The whole issue is a two-step problem.

step 1: The Program Requests Administrative access using the "User Account Control" (aka UAC) dialogs. This works great, but the problem really gets hairy in the second step.

Step 2: The Elevated Launcher self-modifies the Application Package downloaded from the Windows 10 store. The Microsoft Documentation for Windows 10 Apps (see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/msix/desktop/desktop-to-uwp-behind-the-scenes ) includes game. The Guideline ignored in particular is that the Launcher and anticheat perform the operation of a "Write inside the package" and Microsoft's official stance on this is that the operation is "Not allowed. The package is read-only.".

2004 will eventually be pushed up to everyone through auto update. But at least there's a fair amount of time before a 1909 system like mine is forced into it. An article I read recently points that 1803 will be phased out of security updates soon. How long has 1803 been around? Two years? That's more or less how long a 1909 system will be able to stay afloat. And I HOPE that between now and 2021 we get a good stable PSO2 client. Or at least something that doesn't nuke itself... Still, that's just hope and optimism. I still believe gamers need and deserve a stable operating system because after all, a sizeable percent of Microsoft's revenue come from gamer dollars.