Windows 10 2004 and PSO2

Hello. So, my laptop, just today, decided it was ready for the "May 2020" W10 update. I haven't downloaded it yet because I don't know how this game is going to react to it. Soooo, with how many installations of this game were broken, and those who got uninstalled, and all those other bugs, I wonder if there's anyone, a single soul or two out there, who have installed this game with no problems at all through the MS store on a 1909 machine, AND then updated Windows to 2004. IF there's one case like that, I want to know if the game didn't explode after such a big Windows update.

I KNOW I'm looking for a needle in a haystack here, but if someone does happen to have this experience, I'll be thankful to listen. I'm curious about it before this whole thing goes into mandatory update and all that crapola.

I think I saw a reddit title mentioning win10 patch breaking things, but I didn't read the thread.

I've got a windows update pending as well, I believe I shall put it off for a while.

@Taran-Tatsui said in Windows 10 2004 and PSO2:

I think I saw a reddit title mentioning win10 patch breaking things, but I didn't read the thread.

I've got a windows update pending as well, I believe I shall put it off for a while.

And just NOW, my desktop, which isn't even waiting for 2004 yet, installed KB4497165 and THAT uninstalled the whole game and broke something called "Game Services" or something like that....

@ZorokiHanuke said in Windows 10 2004 and PSO2:

And just NOW, my desktop, which isn't even waiting for 2004 yet, installed KB4497165 and THAT uninstalled the whole game and broke something called "Game Services" or something like that....

Oof.

I shall honor your sacrifice.
F

That I know of, two of three people have had their installations break in the last 24 hours. I'm the third and it's still working for now, having finished the Windows updates, can't guarantee it'll last though.

@ZorokiHanuke said in Windows 10 2004 and PSO2:

Oof.

I shall honor your sacrifice.
F

Which button do I press to revive?

@Miraglyth said in Windows 10 2004 and PSO2:

That I know of, two of three people have had their installations break in the last 24 hours. I'm the third and it's still working for now, having finished the Windows updates, can't guarantee it'll last though.

Yeah. Triple checked, all files are gone. The Game Services whatever thing did get updated. No idea if that will help the game once I re-download it.

I may be late to the party here. But I have had very few issues since PSO2 Came to PC. Also, I was able to install the Newest Windows Update and thankfully, things are still smooth as silk so far. As far as this issue, I have seen numerous instances where players have had their game erased. Maybe I can share some things that hopefully, can help you as well. ( If you don't find resolution to your ailment, please by all means send in a support ticket query.)

The MS Store App

You may already know this, But once you have completed in installing PSO from the MS Store app, You SHOULD NOT use the MS store app to launch the game. I'm getting feedback from many players that this behavior inevitably triggers a "RE-INSTALL " and proceeds to erase your game files. IF you have updated everything and all files remain, just make a shortcut on your desk-top that you can click to launch PSO2.

INCOMPATIBLE SOFTWARE FOR PSO2

You may also want to check out the ever so-growing list of incompatible software that causes for many players issues with PSO2. https://forum.pso2.com/topic/4927/list-of-incompatible-software-with-pso2?page=1

PSO2 WAS INSTALLED IN AN INCOMPATIBLE LOCATION

This is something that is being repeated over and over, Many players trying different thing so that PSO2 will work once more. My advice? Well, just install PSO2 in you C drive. Please, DO NOT install it anywhere else, DESKTOP, DOWNLOAD FOLDER, DOCUMENTS FOLDER. Why? Well upon doing so, windows then sets EXCLUSIVE file permissions to that install location and it's the reason why "It may work for a while , Then suddenly ... " My files are gone."

Hopefully this will aide you and make your update transition as smooth as can be!

Can confirm both people I know who had problems had the game install on the default location and on the C drive no less. For one of them it is an otherwise blank Windows 10 machine thrown together for PSO2 so of the incompatible software list only Windows Defender (being supplied with the OS) was involved.

Appreciate the efforts to reduce risk, but it does seem nothing so far can really eliminate, especially the Microsoft Store install.

@DDDDLife said in Windows 10 2004 and PSO2:

I may be late to the party here. But I have had very few issues since PSO2 Came to PC. Also, I was able to install the Newest Windows Update and thankfully, things are still smooth as silk so far. As far as this issue, I have seen numerous instances where players have had their game erased. Maybe I can share some things that hopefully, can help you as well. ( If you don't find resolution to your ailment, please by all means send in a support ticket query.)

The MS Store App

You may already know this, But once you have completed in installing PSO from the MS Store app, You SHOULD NOT use the MS store app to launch the game. I'm getting feedback from many players that this behavior inevitably triggers a "RE-INSTALL " and proceeds to erase your game files. IF you have updated everything and all files remain, just make a shortcut on your desk-top that you can click to launch PSO2.

INCOMPATIBLE SOFTWARE FOR PSO2

You may also want to check out the ever so-growing list of incompatible software that causes for many players issues with PSO2. https://forum.pso2.com/topic/4927/list-of-incompatible-software-with-pso2?page=1

PSO2 WAS INSTALLED IN AN INCOMPATIBLE LOCATION

This is something that is being repeated over and over, Many players trying different thing so that PSO2 will work once more. My advice? Well, just install PSO2 in you C drive. Please, DO NOT install it anywhere else, DESKTOP, DOWNLOAD FOLDER, DOCUMENTS FOLDER. Why? Well upon doing so, windows then sets EXCLUSIVE file permissions to that install location and it's the reason why "It may work for a while , Then suddenly ... " My files are gone."

Hopefully this will aide you and make your update transition as smooth as can be!

You know what...

I never install games on the C drive.
Specifically due to having problems with permissions in the past.

I've always installed games, and programs if they let me, on a drive that's not the same as the OS drive.

@DDDDLife Thanks for the well put support post. As @Miraglyth said, different people are having different issues, and even people with Tweaker are having them. In my case, I suspect the culprit was something between something called "Game Services" and update KB4497165, as that was exactly when things broke.

Now, I have some slightly good news, at least for cases like me where problems don't seem to come too often. I just popped on my laptop which also has the game, connected an external drive, and copied the whole of PSO2. Then passed it onto my desktop after installing the initial 11GB files from MS store (overwriting everything) and so far the game has worked without any issue again. This dropped my waiting time from 2 hours to around 15 minutes.

I must make emphasis here that many cases out there won't get solved with this solution, and that what I did could break tomorrow or even today when I attempt to play again. But if anyone is able to copy a back up of the whole game, it'd be wise to do so for the time being. Now, if the game keeps uninstalling and you have an SSD, I'd advice against copying it onto the drive so many times, as SSDs do have a short life span for writing at such level. And tossing 70GB per day isn't a small thing for them.

Glad I could help, I'm trying to compile as many scenarios as possible. and Just maybe we'll be able to zone in on the heart of the problem

microsoft are a bunch of clowns

I initially installed on MS Store (default location) and it ran fine for 1 week before the game broke (permissions error). Solved this by clearing the MS Store cached and reinstalling the game (still in default location) and it worked fine until two weeks ago where it broke again (permissions error again). Then I uninstalled it and re-installed in a different location with the Tweaker, ran the Powershell script and it has been working fine since.

Though now I have Windows 10 version 2004 (KB4497165) waiting to be downloaded (past experiences have thought me to turn off auto-updating) and I'm concerned that this might break the game again. I really don't want to have to reinstall for a 3rd time.

@SolthusX23 said in Windows 10 2004 and PSO2:

Though now I have Windows 10 version 2004 (KB4497165) waiting to be downloaded (past experiences have thought me to turn off auto-updating) and I'm concerned that this might break the game again.

The funny thing is I used to update pretty responsibly, as soon as the notice appeared I'd stop opening anything new, bring whatever I was doing to a stopping point, and then update and restart pretty quickly.

Only now this has been going on have I been delaying on doing any updates. Nice job on that one Microsoft, this little project of yours has encouraged me to do the opposite of what you've been trying to get Windows 10 users to do.

I got this problem yesterday and got fixed by re-running the cmd file on (http://na.arks-layer.com/tweaker-setup-b.html) Now i'm back online