The State of PvP in JP and thoughts for Western

Topic title. Those of you who play JP, what's the scoop. Is PvP big? Does JP even care for it? Is there one build that dominates everything and people just roll their eyes when they see it?

Those of you who have not played JP (and those who have) -what would you like to see in the mode?

The Player Versus Player might work better in the west. From what I heard it's similar to TF2 Randomizer, though the weapons have to be picked up around the map. You might get a weapon you've never used before.

TF2 Randomizer is pretty fun, because you can get goofy weapons like the Saxton, which if you kill an enemy with it, it turns them to gold. (You don't have to own the weapon to get it.)

@coldreactive That's fun - anything to avoid stagnant, "Oh boy here comes another HUmar" type of gameplay is alright by me.

Just so you know, this also means you can get weapons not meant for your class. Here's a video for TF2's mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSd6wPey_NA

@coldreactive said in The State of PvP in JP and thoughts for Western:

Just so you know, this also means you can get weapons not meant for your class. Here's a video for TF2's mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSd6wPey_NA

You mean in Randomizer or PSO2 PvP?

PVP in PSO2JP is dead content, it was popular for a really short time. (Even C-MODE had a longer life.) For us non-JP players there was a noticeable lag. Players were out of sync on their screens which really affected your perception, gameplay and skills. For example, you could be killed off by a melee player who wasn't even close to you on "your" screen but on "his/her" screen you were in melee range. I think even JP players experienced it. And not to forget the limited options/match types they provided, You can't have a 1 vs. 1 match.

In the original PSO, PVP wasn't particular excellent either (balancing being one of the issues). So I didn't expected much from PVP on PSO2 when it got released. At least the original had more PVP options.

(PSO and PVP just don't mesh well together.)

It might be "fun" for a while. I highly doubt a lot of people will stick to it. However, the SG reward for ranking is pretty good.

Like what Erin said, it's very client sided and lag will screw you over hard. It's locked to random match making, unless you make a private match. Matches are 6v6 and no less. This also means you need 12 people for a private match.

The matches are 5 minutes long, and winning depends on how many points you collect (from points on the field or stealing points from kills). Melee kills in one hit, Ranged is like 3~6, and techs are 1~2.

It's actually pretty strategic when you get deep into it... when you get deep into it.

There is one weapon that sticks out over the rest, and that's Dual Blades (Soaring Blades iirc in na). They have the melee kill power and they have a map size ranged move that hits way harder than a ranged weapon should.
Then there's two other weapons who are very different from the real game. TMG and Bow. TMG is a ranged lockdown weapon and bow is either a map wide sniper or a melee shotgun (both bow playstyles one shot).

@Reilet said in The State of PvP in JP and thoughts for Western:

Melee kills in one hit

We Hotline Miami now

As long as I can JELLEN them we should be fine.

@Rantious said in The State of PvP in JP and thoughts for Western:

As long as I can JELLEN them we should be fine.

Ya you're gonna be disappointed then.

Seriously just youtube PSO 2 JP pvp and you can all see what it's about. PVP is in the game just as something to do if you want. It's not something the hardcore tinker with.