How would you go about the Story Missions? (No spoilers please)

@Guilrel said in How would you go about the Story Missions? (No spoilers please):

@Leonkh99 I would also like it if the story approach was like PSU or more specifically the original PSO where the "side quests" were actually mini stories and plot like that Cast and the Mag or the mysterious pen pal that disappeared in the hostile planet.

10/10 would run through all the story missions again until finally getting Doc's Research to convert monster parts.

I think they should restore the actual story quests, instead of leaving only the boss combats (they also added boss combats, like single player versions of story EQ), I don't care if each cutscene is seen from a menu, also leaving secondary scenes out of the omnibus, as long as they are in your room, I'm ok with it. Story quests made you choose the path to alter the story, they also had NPC along the way with unique dialogue, and the ARKS GP had a lot of different paths with different endings.

@Guilrel said in How would you go about the Story Missions? (No spoilers please):

I just realized something important that I need to ask about how Story Missions will go. As far as I know only the early episodes of 1-3 and maybe 4 and 5 will be nothing but cutscenes with no areas in them like I did in the tutorial mission with only boss and mob fights in between. But the latest episodes will be more like what I wanted out of the story that is just like the tutorial mission. Am I correct in assuming that this will happen, or is every episode just cutscenes with boss and mob fights?

There's a few story quests like the tutorial throughout episode 1~3, including a story exclusive area in a certain part of episode 3 (there's no other quests at all where that area is accessible, only in the story) and alternate versions of an episode 2 area.

However you do it make sure you do cofy missions she gives mag an other important stuff... I didn't know about her till I was halfway through beta, lol.

@Ezodagrom You have no idea how glad I am to hear of this from you. Even if it's just a few, I'm glad that not all of them are just cutscenes and then boss/mob fights in between like I've been hearing about from everyone. Especially the reviews in the JP server that has the story be more like what everyone else is saying. Some players do come here to enjoy the story of the game and it should be alright for them to leave afterwards, that is still one of the many ways to enjoy the game.

@landman Was being able to alter the story something you could do in the matter board days or were you referring to what players used to do in the side quests of PSO Episode 1?

@Rantious Man it's been a long time since I played the original even though I "technically" truly beat the game a couple months ago in preparation of this game finally coming out over here. So I was wondering if there was side quest that was like that in the original. Writing of this, I wonder if some Client Orders sometimes function like the side quests of the original too. There was a side quest that Alfin wanted me to do in bring him along for a certain, but I refused to do it until the game comes out for real first.

@Wesley I know that much, since every tutorial I watched stressed the importance of Cofy and how she's the one who will help you advance further in the game's mechanics. I've already unlocked hard mode before the beta was over. I wonder how much further I will be when the Open Beta starts.

@Wesley said in How would you go about the Story Missions? (No spoilers please):

However you do it make sure you do cofy missions she gives mag an other important stuff... I didn't know about her till I was halfway through beta, lol.

also that super important quest that gives you the mag leveling kit. a good move would be to keep making characters and running them up JUST to get that kit and then use it on all the characters you actually plan on playing.

@MEGAF1UX said in How would you go about the Story Missions? (No spoilers please):

also that super important quest that gives you the mag leveling kit. a good move would be to keep making characters and running them up JUST to get that kit and then use it on all the characters you actually plan on playing.

If it works like in the JP version, the max number of free characters is 3 at the same time, and the process of deleting a character takes 24 hours (it's both a security measure and to give time for the player to make sure if he really wants to delete the char).

@Ezodagrom said in How would you go about the Story Missions? (No spoilers please):

@MEGAF1UX said in How would you go about the Story Missions? (No spoilers please):

If it works like in the JP version, the max number of free characters is 3 at the same time, and the process of deleting a character takes 24 hours (it's both a security measure and to give time for the player to make sure if he really wants to delete the char).

uh-huh.. so IF you dont want to buy more characters you make one, get the kit, delete it, repeat. you should have enough kits within a week either way because just turning in ARKS quests gets you to around level 20 before you even take a step in the lobby (provided you have put in some work on your main character.. obviously).

Those are interesting tips about how to get different mags, good thing I already figured out what kind of Mag I want before I started.

There's something I want to ask about certain Client Orders like Alfin's: Do some of them have their own cutscenes for certain story mode characters?

Those are interesting tips about how to get different mags, good thing I already figured out what kind of Mag I want before I started.

There's something I want to ask about certain Client Orders like Alfin's: Do some of them have their own cutscenes for certain story mode characters?

The great majority of cutscenes are centralized in the quest counter nowadays. In older versions of the game, as the player progressed through the story, cutscenes would start automatically when approaching NPCs that had new cutscenes, but I don't think that happens anymore in the current version of the game.

When it comes to client orders, I can only think of one set of cutscenes that was tied to client orders, which won't be available in the NA version at launch (there's a possibility these may not even be added to the NA version at all). It was a special event with the Phantasy Star Portable games, cutscenes involving Emilia and Vivienne, which would unlock as the player progressed through their client orders.

isnt there a way to watch them again anyways?

On the .jp server that was an option from the console in your room, but I didn't see it in the closed beta.

@IndefinateArdem ..then again the console also wouldnt let us craft, so who can really say.

isnt there a way to watch them again anyways?

Story quests and cutscenes can be replayed/rewatched any time in the quest counter.

From the JP servers I think you need to do the first few chapters in episode 4, 5 and 6 to unlock some stuff. Other than that the story got streamlined and is mainly used for cosmetics now.