Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.

@Matt said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

Correct translation, wrong context.

The lack of flavour text is most likely a decision by Microsoft or SEGA themselves to save money. In the translation/interpretation industry, you are paid per word that you translate, and the flavour text would make up a VAST majority of that cost considering how many different items there are in PSO2. The translation team would have done it, if they were paid to do so.

While I would like the flavour text to be translated, I also think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Like 99% of video game players do not give a rat's ass about flavour text; consider how even story dialogue and tutorial text is skipped by a non-trivial amount of people.

All spoken text is absolutely perfect and the dub itself is very high effort. Microsoft/SEGA clearly went all out here, and perhaps this is where the funding was taken away from flavour text. There's some transcription issues ("gods be operative" being the most classic example), but nothing really sounds strange or out of place.

There's this really stupid circlejerk from "JP Veterans" about the localisation of NA PSO2, when really, it is mostly completely suitable and most people are not going to notice these "issues". It's really just a case of people wanting to point and go "haha, NA PSO2 bad".

It's not correct translation. It clearly shows it isn't correct translation. I can't believe there are people like this who think it in their minds that flavorful texts should not be in an mmorpg game, as if like they are in complete fan boy denial going on.

"It isnt bad as it seems to be" I am gonna say either you are a troll, or haven't played enough to notice it, or massively denial fanboy.

It isn't just flavorful text. It also has mistranslation in some quest dialogues, some wrong character/item name mistranslation for players to get confused from and grammatical errors. For a NA region game, that is no excuse to have these errors. Its been 2-3 months to fix them since they were reported, and they were not corrected yet.

The more you write about claiming it is MS and Sega's decision to not spend money for more translation it required and deserved makes it more convincing and proving that this game is half arsed for NA fans who anticipated for 8 years, and 1 year for them to get this right.

It isn't circlejerking. People do care about flavorful text like you said. People enjoy reading quest logs. People who don't care like yourself, sounds like you don't care about the game more than people who complain to care to have this game improved and what it really deserves, a fully translated game.

But no, you only care about what is now. And your comfort zone of enjoyment skipping everything and just killing stuffs since nothing matter to you. You do you, my friend. While people who expressed their opinions about their dislike of current translations will keep expressing that the developers will fix this. Properly.

@LapisWave They just lick the boot which isn’t a good thing we need to hold them accountable so we have a healthy game but they don’t care since after 8 years they got to play a game that came out in 2012

@Maxwell said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

@LapisWave They just lick the boot which isn’t a good thing we need to hold them accountable so we have a healthy game but they don’t care since after 8 years they got to play a game that came out in 2012

Ikr? Its like they think we don't care about the game or something. If i didn't care, I would not make this thread to bring it to attention

NA Team: "Can you translate this?" Translator Team: "Me be speak gud engish. Me tranlate gud to?" hic NA Team Member A: "Ummmm..." NA Team Member B: "HIRED!"

@LapisWave said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

@Matt said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

Correct translation, wrong context.

The lack of flavour text is most likely a decision by Microsoft or SEGA themselves to save money. In the translation/interpretation industry, you are paid per word that you translate, and the flavour text would make up a VAST majority of that cost considering how many different items there are in PSO2. The translation team would have done it, if they were paid to do so.

While I would like the flavour text to be translated, I also think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Like 99% of video game players do not give a rat's ass about flavour text; consider how even story dialogue and tutorial text is skipped by a non-trivial amount of people.

All spoken text is absolutely perfect and the dub itself is very high effort. Microsoft/SEGA clearly went all out here, and perhaps this is where the funding was taken away from flavour text. There's some transcription issues ("gods be operative" being the most classic example), but nothing really sounds strange or out of place.

There's this really stupid circlejerk from "JP Veterans" about the localisation of NA PSO2, when really, it is mostly completely suitable and most people are not going to notice these "issues". It's really just a case of people wanting to point and go "haha, NA PSO2 bad".

It's not correct translation. It clearly shows it isn't correct translation. I can't believe there are people like this who think it in their minds that flavorful texts should not be in an mmorpg game, as if like they are in complete fan boy denial going on.

"It isnt bad as it seems to be" I am gonna say either you are a troll, or haven't played enough to notice it, or massively denial fanboy.

It isn't just flavorful text. It also has mistranslation in some quest dialogues, some wrong character/item name mistranslation for players to get confused from and grammatical errors. For a NA region game, that is no excuse to have these errors. Its been 2-3 months to fix them since they were reported, and they were not corrected yet.

The more you write about claiming it is MS and Sega's decision to not spend money for more translation it required and deserved makes it more convincing and proving that this game is half arsed for NA fans who anticipated for 8 years, and 1 year for them to get this right.

It isn't circlejerking. People do care about flavorful text like you said. People enjoy reading quest logs. People who don't care like yourself, sounds like you don't care about the game more than people who complain to care to have this game improved and what it really deserves, a fully translated game.

But no, you only care about what is now. And your comfort zone of enjoyment skipping everything and just killing stuffs since nothing matter to you. You do you, my friend. While people who expressed their opinions about their dislike of current translations will keep expressing that the developers will fix this. Properly.

Technically, he is right in a way. He stated a good portion of the player's won't really care about the flavour text - which is entirely correct because the only people that do care about small things like these in which you have stated "People do care about---" are normally people who RP or lore lovers. And the RP community is small in terms of the majority of the community. So he's not wrong.

There are quite a few things that of course need to be changed like the "Gods be operative" but also some translation on the PA's, etc which are highly noticeable. Client orders (quests), don't really care much for text here.

All in all you're the type of person that probably likes to stop by every data pod and read everything while other people are fighting mob's. This is a fast paced action combat game, you really think most people care about flavour text on weapons,quests, etc.? No. They just want to play the game and have fun. But as i stated only a small portion of people like you like flavour text and the other stuff while the other "99%" don't really care.

Now before you type up a long reply, this is mainly in reply to only "Flavour Text, Quest Logs". I know there are translation issues with a majority of things that need to be addressed because it is confusing. I do care about the game myself or else i wouldn't be playing literally everyday and have spent a dubious amount on the game already (I'm not going to say how much). But yes, i myself skip everything because i just want to play the game and have fun.

So in conclusion - Flavour Text isn't really needed. Translation issues need to be fixed.

@Lvost1990X They can walk & chew gum, flavor text in an rpg (that already has it on the JP server might I add) has no excuse as to why it’s not done on the NA server aside from laziness. You get a job to do ie translation doesn’t mean you half ass it because that’s a spit in the face of everyone who waited & those like myself who came over from the JP server.

Lastly refrain from making condescending comments attacking someone’s character even if they may have attacked yours (idk if they did myself)

@Maxwell said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

@Lvost1990X They can walk & chew gum, flavor text in an rpg (that already has it on the JP server might I add) has no excuse as to why it’s not done on the NA server aside from laziness. You get a job to do ie translation doesn’t mean you half ass it because that’s a spit in the face of everyone who waited & those like myself who came over from the JP server.

Lastly refrain from making condescending comments attacking someone’s character even if they may have attacked yours (idk if they did myself)

Well apart from laziness there is other considerations that should be taken. For instance, different audiences. Also the fact PSO2 is an old game. Lastly if the game is rated 13+, do you think minors would care about the flavour text? No, they just play the game to have fun. Most older people seem to complain about every small thing.

Lastly, there was nothing condescending in my statement. I merely said they are probably the type of person that does so and so. Nothing condescending in that or the way i said it.

@Lvost1990X said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

Technically, he is right in a way. He stated a good portion of the player's won't really care about the flavour text - which is entirely correct because the only people that do care about small things like these in which you have stated "People do care about---" are normally people who RP or lore lovers. And the RP community is small in terms of the majority of the community. So he's not wrong.

There are quite a few things that of course need to be changed like the "Gods be operative" but also some translation on the PA's, etc which are highly noticeable. Client orders (quests), don't really care much for text here.

All in all you're the type of person that probably likes to stop by every data pod and read everything while other people are fighting mob's. This is a fast paced action combat game, you really think most people care about flavour text on weapons,quests, etc.? No. They just want to play the game and have fun. But as i stated only a small portion of people like you like flavour text and the other stuff while the other "99%" don't really care.

Now before you type up a long reply, this is mainly in reply to only "Flavour Text, Quest Logs". I know there are translation issues with a majority of things that need to be addressed because it is confusing. I do care about the game myself or else i wouldn't be playing literally everyday and have spent a dubious amount on the game already (I'm not going to say how much). But yes, i myself skip everything because i just want to play the game and have fun.

So in conclusion - Flavour Text isn't really needed. Translation issues need to be fixed.

Well. I DID read a few of the datapods scattered around.... when playing solo. I do read item descriptions.... when not in a hurry and also while solo. When doing MP, of course I skip everything and even skip getting non rare drops in order to not have to stop to sort my inventory. Solo play and MP are two different beats for me But I'm a lore person and I feel adding lore correctly to a game makes it much more immersive than just getting a weapon to smack NPC mobs for no other reason than just "having fun". At least to me, having fun that way doesn't last me too long.

I personally don't know how many are like me nor how many skip content and just blast things with no care for any story. But each is an accepted gameplay style and each has it's place in gaming, hence why games still get released with plots and story. Otherwise every game would have the same story progression as Pong.

As someone that played Destiny, a game that has a butt ton of lore but is all optional reads in menus and whatnot, I get that there are a lot of people that don't care for the lore, and just want to kill things.

But I think you're all missing the real point here. The fact that the game is supposed to be an "official English release" means that this game should have been properly translated on release. Sure, maybe there will be some typos/bad grammar here and there. It's a fairly large dialogue heavy game, I can understand that. But that's not an excuse to completely ignore features of the game just to allow the game to release on time. There are plenty of games lately that have been getting delayed to increase the quality of a game. A working complete game is better than a broken PoS. Most of your counter arguments for this thread are valid. But this sort of "oh, only a small percent of players will care about you slacking on an official release and cutting corners" kind of attitude isn't good for the gaming community. Once that sort of thinking gets heard by the companies, the quality of games will plummet.

Besides, we're talking about Microsoft and SEGA. They're some of the larger known companies with millions of dollars. From just reading the community's hype and looking at their beta data, they should have known they'd definitely make their money back on this game if they invested a bit more. Though this also applies to how they released the game, that's another can of worms. (Imo, the person that's managing the whole release of the game seems like they didn't care about the game but Idk /shrug)

The NA launch has been rough. We shouldn't be throwing our pitchforks and torches at MS but we shouldn't be dismissing issues about the game that should have been done properly. We should be making our voices be heard on all the issues we don't like and letting MS/SEGA know. Honestly, depending on how they continue to manage the game, this game might get killed when some of the more anticipated MMORPGs get released next year.

yeah, personal preference isn't really a consideration here. We just keep making it OK for publishers to intebtionally push out incomplete games cause there are people willing to combative defend their decision to cut corners, for some strange reason.

Billion dollar companies aren't sending our awards to their fans for making excuses for bad business practices. That much is evident each time they release an unfinished product.

^ This.

Official means official. If this is private server made by fans and they did this, I wouldn't say anything about it.

@Katou said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

The fact that the game is supposed to be an "official English release" means that this game should have been properly translated on release. Sure, maybe there will be some typos/bad grammar here and there. It's a fairly large dialogue heavy game, I can understand that. But that's not an excuse to completely ignore features of the game just to allow the game to release on time. There are plenty of games lately that have been getting delayed to increase the quality of a game. A working complete game is better than a broken PoS. Most of your counter arguments for this thread are valid. But this sort of "oh, only a small percent of players will care about you slacking on an official release and cutting corners" kind of attitude isn't good for the gaming community. Once that sort of thinking gets heard by the companies, the quality of games will plummet.

This too. we are all playing an official game, right? If so, doesn't that mean we should at least get some kind of quality translation and descriptions in this game? The cut corners method is too obvious and easy to notice, like extremely easy to notice that they aren't hiding or being ashamed about it.

@Katou said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

We shouldn't be throwing our pitchforks and torches at MS but we shouldn't be dismissing issues about the game that should have been done properly. We should be making our voices be heard on all the issues we don't like and letting MS/SEGA know.

They may have said "we will forward this to the developers" numerous times in forum and support tickets, but that's not really cutting it. It needs better answers. Like one of the staffs (non-GM) to walk up and apologize for the quality of translation at least.

People's voices for constructive criticism about the poor translation isn't asking the game to be destroyed. It's asking them to make the game better so other people can be aware that the NA region of the game is diamond quality.

@ZorokiHanuke said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

@Lvost1990X said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

Well. I DID read a few of the datapods scattered around.... when playing solo. I do read item descriptions.... when not in a hurry and also while solo. When doing MP, of course I skip everything and even skip getting non rare drops in order to not have to stop to sort my inventory. Solo play and MP are two different beats for me But I'm a lore person and I feel adding lore correctly to a game makes it much more immersive than just getting a weapon to smack NPC mobs for no other reason than just "having fun". At least to me, having fun that way doesn't last me too long.

I personally don't know how many are like me nor how many skip content and just blast things with no care for any story. But each is an accepted gameplay style and each has it's place in gaming, hence why games still get released with plots and story. Otherwise every game would have the same story progression as Pong.

Well i know how you feel. I absolutely love the story in FFXIV. But different games alas. When you take into consideration that PSO2 is 13+ and it's an fast paced action MMO along the fact it's and older MMO - most young players aren't really going to care much for the lore/flavour text, etc. They just want to play the game. The only people who care about the lore and whatnot are mainly older people.

Now of course this shouldn't be an excuse as to why their localization is crap but from what i hear, they know and plan to fix it. Everybody has different play styles but the majority of the community which is hack n' slash towers over the smaller part of the community which is "I want my flavour text on weapons/quests".

And this doesn't mean you should be forgotten because you are still a player. It's just that in the companies eyes they look at the majority and what they can try to get away with.

@Lvost1990X That absolutely makes no sense again they were given a job that doesn’t mean you get to half-ass the job because your personal opinion while doing is “hey no one really reads it so why bother” try doing that for a corporation & see how fast they see you out.

Also the statement about different audiences is rather incoherent because you’re just pulling your stats out thin air. I can say certainly that this game has a wide audience based off of Sega JPs monthly feedback emails sent to those registered so let’s not generalize to make your opinion valid because that’s a strawman

Well i know how you feel. I absolutely love the story in FFXIV. But different games alas. When you take into consideration that PSO2 is 13+ and it's an fast paced action MMO along the fact it's and older MMO - most young players aren't really going to care much for the lore/flavour text, etc. They just want to play the game. The only people who care about the lore and whatnot are mainly older people.

Now of course this shouldn't be an excuse as to why their localization is crap but from what i hear, they know and plan to fix it. Everybody has different play styles but the majority of the community which is hack n' slash towers over the smaller part of the community which is "I want my flavour text on weapons/quests".

And this doesn't mean you should be forgotten because you are still a player. It's just that in the companies eyes they look at the majority and what they can try to get away with.

As I said before, I personally don't know the numbers of players on this or that camp. That's why I refrain to say "the majority of this' or "the minority of that". If you know from having seen the numbers or from actively feeling what the people do in game, then you know more than me on that regard. I already know that demographics from when I started gaming (back in the early 80's) are different from what it is now.

I also understand the part about the game being a fast hack and slash. BUT, and here's the part that makes me doubt a bit, Phantasy Star as a franchise is known as being very story rich, and in it's time, a good competitor to the Final Fantasy series. Heck! This franchise started as a classic turn based JRPG and churned 4 main games in that format. So this game had the potential to draw in more lore lovers than your usual hack and slash game. And as such, I strongly believe that giving attention to what I think to be one of the franchise's stronger points, it's story, should be the right thing to do.

@Lvost1990X That absolutely makes no sense again they were given a job that doesn’t mean you get to half-ass the job because your personal opinion while doing is “hey no one really reads it so why bother” try doing that for a corporation & see how fast they see you out.

Also the statement about different audiences is rather incoherent because you’re just pulling your stats out thin air. I can say certainly that this game has a wide audience based off of Sega JPs monthly feedback emails sent to those registered so let’s not generalize to make your opinion valid because that’s a strawman

Because i'm looking at it from a logical standpoint and taking into consideration multiple possibilities. Which apparently, you can't comprehend and instead attack me about it. I'm not looking to make my opinions valid, i'm merely stating possible scenarios and not looking straight one way like a deer looking into headlights.

Besides, you know nothing of the job they were given. They could have been paid crap or been told by SEGA not to go all out. You don't know nothing, nobody does. That's why we form these "Scenarios" or ideas as to why. But in the end, it shouldn't have been this way.