Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.

@LapisWave said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

Seriously. It can't get worse especially when translators scam and lie to the developers in translating game item descriptions and potential descriptions with partial effort of poor grammar, or just no effort at all.

Are you saying, we should be hiring people based on their qualifications? Nonsense. It's 2020, we don't do that anymore.

I was told when I first reported these that it was a known issue. This was back in Xbox's only version.

As much as I'd like to think they are working on it, I am believing the team is saying it's known, but a low priority compared to pushing the newer content.

If I had to think about it, I'd theorize there was an intern performing translations, so they could not be held accountable, with an English fluent intern QA saying 'yeah I can read that' without doing due diligence. Otherwise, someone would probably be held accountable and probably fired for lackluster work.

I'm not even sure anyone got paid for doing translation. It's probably just one guy having to read through an excel sheet and deleting every auto-translated line that seemed too bad.

That or the budget / time allotted to the translation was so small this was the best they could do, which seems more likely to me.

puts on tinfoil hat

Perhaps, this is actually all in preparation for the "Not Episode 7" update. Maybe many of the things that are currently untranslated or left empty are things that they are planning to change or do away with completely once that update hits, so it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to translate and QC them. Like maybe they are going to streamline the weapon and unit boxes to display everything at a single glance, rather than having it split over 3 tabs, and the flavor text box will instead have stat data or something.

@2B said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

@LapisWave said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

Seriously. It can't get worse especially when translators scam and lie to the developers in translating game item descriptions and potential descriptions with partial effort of poor grammar, or just no effort at all.

Are you saying, we should be hiring people based on their qualifications? Nonsense. It's 2020, we don't do that anymore.

I know that right? Resume is like a myth for 2020.

God awful right now and there is no hidden shame about this copy pasta management.

@Macmaxi you can see the company who was paid to do the translations in the credits.

Could be they are planning on putting them in later when it is all done, but some of the translation in Extreme Quests were literal translations into backwards structured sentences.

Somebody automated the text stuff we got and it was Dudu.

Hopefully Sega will look into this.

alt text

I'd like to add this:

"A weapon camo that changes the appearance of a wand while equipped" Target Category: Wand, Sword and Partisan

Bruh, translator, that's more than just a wand.

alt text

Oh wait. That doesn't look anything like more than 1 sentence.

It rather says more description with two sentences.

I really want to add that, even with camo translation, the translator forgot about two other weapons even if it has simple description with no lore descriptions.

It was a google translate job. Most of it sucks to be honest.

I was wondering where were the nice descriptions we used to get in the older games. Now you guys tell me they were there but never translated. Disappointing. I was finding odd that most units DO have more or less proper descriptions, but not weapons and camos. That was odd to begin with, but this thread explains a lot. I HOPE we get the rest of the descriptions in an update. One of the reasons I liked collecting stuff in the old games was to read what the dev had to say about them.

GMs should be on the look out and tell the team that is doing the translating because PS Fan will start a riot. If they dont the Team behind Tweaker will start adding translations patch to the items. 😆

To go over what @John-Paul-RAGE , brought up...

The company responsible for localizing Phantasy Star Online 2's Western release is known as "Lionbridge Technology". According to an interview, they were hired by Microsoft to localize Phantasy Star Online 2 and have also worked with the likes of Bandai Namco, Nexon, NCSoft and WB Games.

If you look at the credits and paid attention a bit to some posts on Twitter, Lionbridge Technologies hired freelancers who do in fact have resumes for various titles including the likes of Nier Automata and one who did in fact have experience fan translating stuff for the classic Phantasy Star series.

And of course, Sega of Japan who have their set of translations for things like terminologies (Campship = Gateship, the NA localizers altered this further to "Gateway Ship"), and names ("Gettemhult", "Melfonseana", etc) which may or may not be used ("Patty" and "Tiea" is their official spelling, but the NA version changes it to "Pati" and "Tia" as their name is SUPPOSED to be a pun on "Patientia").

And of course, SEGA of America does have a supervising credit which would certainly explain similarities to the script intended for the original delayed 2013 release (e.g 2013's "Paradigm Matrix" --> 2020's "Divergence Matrix", as well as the more military-esque approach the original 2013 script took such as "Quarters" and "Hostiles").

And of course, while we are it, we have ESTsoft who are doing the active community management for SEGA of Japan (who run the game's servers and develop content for it) and who provide such services like GMs, Customer Support, Social Media, etc. They have a single Translator mainly for communications between them and SEGA of Japan such as for instance... translating support tickets, communicating fan opinion, etc... ESTsoft does listen and document fan concerns... whether the parties who can actually do anything about it actually do something about it is another story; ESTsoft is very well aware of the translation issues but thats ultimately up to either Sega of Japan or Lionbridge Technologies to fix.

As for how we got into the mess to begin with, thats personally something I can't answer unfortunately. My best guess is that the localizers were dealing with time constraints to have as much of the content localized. There's some minor indications that rather than localize up to the content that would actually be made available at launch, the localizers had in fact localized up to Episode 6...

God the NA server is on its own level at this point.

The localisation is not as bad as you are making it out to be. Furthermore, the lack of flavour text is not due to "translators scamming", but rather due to a decision higher up to not translate these things. FWIW, I played on the Japanese Servers since 2012 and also can read Japanese, I did not use any translation patches.

A few points:

1. All translations are correct, other than a few flavour changes (note: The team responsible for the English Fan Patch also did their own share of flavour changes, for example Last Nemesis to Final Nemesis, Vinto Jikar to Vinto Gigue, Galf to Gulf, White Territory to Shironia (although I get this one completely) etc.).

The issue here seems to lie in the fact that it was a "too many cooks" job, and their translators were seemingly given a text dump to translate without context. This leads to a lot of issues such as Lisa/Risa, the TA quests being referred to as Naverius Beginner and also Naverius I at the same time, etc. They really need to go back and decide on what they want things to be named and make it more consistent across the board. A fan favourite is the fact that ごきげんよう was translated as "Greetings" in various contexts on the NA server when it's being used a farewell, which doesn't really work in English. Correct translation, wrong context.

1. The lack of flavour text is most likely a decision by Microsoft or SEGA themselves to save money. In the translation/interpretation industry, you are paid per word that you translate, and the flavour text would make up a VAST majority of that cost considering how many different items there are in PSO2. The translation team would have done it, if they were paid to do so.

While I would like the flavour text to be translated, I also think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Like 99% of video game players do not give a rat's ass about flavour text; consider how even story dialogue and tutorial text is skipped by a non-trivial amount of people.

1. All spoken text is absolutely perfect and the dub itself is very high effort. Microsoft/SEGA clearly went all out here, and perhaps this is where the funding was taken away from flavour text. There's some transcription issues ("gods be operative" being the most classic example), but nothing really sounds strange or out of place.

There's this really stupid circlejerk from "JP Veterans" about the localisation of NA PSO2, when really, it is mostly completely suitable and most people are not going to notice these "issues". It's really just a case of people wanting to point and go "haha, NA PSO2 bad".

Lol I was wondering if I was the only one concerned by the blatant laziness

There’s translation problems with Ability names as well as story text is also horrendous like for example ozha saying the enemy was “triggered” or the ability might actually is supposed to be power from direct translation (パワー). Whoever does it just sucks at their job